Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Game gradually dying in the Hunter Valley

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am not sure how programming works in NSW but I am thinking if the Newcastle meeting became the regular secondary meeting on the same night as Menangle you would be racing for far smaller stakes which would be a killer. I suppose with Newcastle often having 2 meetings a week, you would always have the option of using the non Saturday meet as the main one for the majority of your stable in work while taking the better ones to Menangle
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Foal Shane tritton will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Shane Tritton
    Certainly not dan .. But the whole reason why the move is from Friday to sat night is to get more people
    In the restaurant .. Because when we used to race on sat night more people went to the races ... My point is that why are we sooo convinced that sat night racing will be soo much better .. No doubt the races will go to sky 2 .. Which means a hell of a lot of home viewers won't be able to see it .. And if the crowds don't flock back to the trots .. As no once seems to come to newcastle on a Friday night ... Then we have lost these metro class owners and trainers to newcastle for nothing ... The club is ment to do what's best for the racing participants .. This move has only made it impossible from those participants who are being successful in this game ... It seems that maybe your the one that's only looking at who gets the benefit from a sat night meeting ... If this move makes running a successful training stable in this area difficult or practically impossible .. How can u say that Peoole are only worrying about theirselves ... I'm sure that if u was the person that trained or owned a metro class horse U oppinon wouldn't be so lopsided ...

Junior Member Foal Shane tritton will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Shane Tritton
    The programming doesn't allowing for it kev... Teir 3 meetings don't allow well performed horses to race ... Maybe the solution is transferring the metro horses in our area to a Sydney trainer .. Cap newcastle trainers to only being provincial trainers .. And drivers ... This seems to be the popualr opinion ..

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Shane, the Saturday night meetings were always easier for the club to attract sponsors, the way this works is the sponsor gets to "wine and dine" a given number of people per race sponsored, usually their customers and/or staff, people who typically don't go to the trots, so the benefit is also there of introducing people to Harness Racing , it is harder to sell the sponsorship model on any other day as you can imagine, so the reason why the club has been trying to get more Saturdays back is based on quite a bit more than just trying to get bums on seats in the restaurant.

I certainly don't think restricting or capping trainers is the answer either, if I did I would have mentioned it earlier, but for the majority of participants in the Hunter Valley Saturday night racing is a good thing and for the club its a good thing, for you it's a headache, but I don't have to tell you that you are only one person do I.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Dan, I have said many times that owners (horses) = attendee, as as our future owners are not going to come from people sitting in a club or their own lounge (mind you that is probably where our attendees may come from)
    BUT what do you think of Shane's point that with duplicate meetings, Newcastle will end up on Sky 2 - will that hurt the club/region?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Not so sure if it will go to Sky 2 Kev, however, that said, if it does happen, then I can't see it being essentially GOOD and I suppose will the benefits outweigh the negatives? I obviously hope so, in a perfect world Newcastle gets most of it's Sat night meetings back and Menangle goes back to Fridays, because I think that was a mistake that has hurt the game itself. Will that happen? Don't think so. Turnover is down all over the place, I've banged on many times about the reasons for that and what we can do about and what is out of our control.

Wish I had all the answers Kev, but like everyone else I don't.

+ Reply to Thread