Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any news on Lombo Pocket Watch lately

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers

Any news on Lombo Pocket Watch lately

Searched online and can find nothing recently about Lombo Pocket Watch since his injury some time back in his comeback race in WA.

Would anyone have any up-to-date news about this great horse?

Such a shame that he was so poorly received when sent to stud. Hope that he proves everyone wrong in the future.

I remember when Courage Under Fire ( my all-time favourite ) first went to stud , statements like "Too small to be a top sire" and "overpriced stud fee" were mentioned. Well he has certainly had the last laugh

Let's hope Lombo Pocket Watch will do the same.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Lombo Pocket Watch was a great horse but i doubt he will ever match the feats of CUF.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Yes, Courage Under Fire is a legendary horse on the track and now at stud. I really hope Lombo Pocket Watch is given a chance at stud. I know I will certainly be supporting him at every opportunity I can.

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Lombo Pocket Watch was a great horse but i doubt he will ever match the feats of CUF.
    CUF actually had a somewhat lacklustre start to his breeding barn career. Since then he has had to do it the hard way, he has fought back from the edge of the abyss in many respects. I had most certainly written him off but with Lanercost, Bells And Whistles, Pembrook Benny, Lancome, Artic Fire, Rowan Direct, Courageous Annie and so on he has proven me wrong. A mate of mine reckons two of the biggest things the CUF's have in their favour is their conformation and their gait. He reckons they're invariably well made horses and that whatever their size, they tend to have a length of stride that's in excess of what you'd reasonably/normally expect.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hey Triple

You could also add Sleepy Trip, Courage To Rule, Franco Jamar and Coastal to that list. I was not knocking LPW in anyway i was just been honest that he will never match the feats of CUF. You need numbers on the ground to make a stallion as we all know, i've got the servive summary of CUF and LPW first 3 years at stud.

LOMBO POCKET WATCH

08/09 81 Live foals.
    09/10 Didn't stand.
    10/11 Served 33 mare's

COURAGE UNDER FIRE

02/03 Live foals Aus/Nz 183
    03/04 Live Foals Aus/Nz 146
    04/05 Live foals Aus/Nz 201

After comparing service summaries between these 2 great horses you can see why LPW will never match CUF in the breeding shed.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    I just thought i'd also compare the last 3 yrs at stud.

COURAGE UNDER FIRE
    08/09 Aus/Nz 112 Live foal's
    09/10 Aus/Nz 182 Live foal's
    10/11 Aus/Nz Served 209 mare's

LOMBO POCKET WATCH

08/09 81 Live foal's
    09/10 Didn't serve
    10/11 Served 33 mare's.

triplev123
    I agree and I wasn't taking issue with that Mango, rather just noting that CUF as he is thought of now, is not CUF as he was thought of post his 1st & 2nd crops. Maybe too much was expected of him, dunno, but virtually no sooner had many, including myself, written him off than he really began to take off.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hey Triple

I also had reservations about him mainly due to his size as a stallion, but i've been happily proven wrong.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    I agree and I wasn't taking issue with that Mango, rather just noting that CUF as he is thought of now, is not CUF as he was thought of post his 1st & 2nd crops. Maybe too much was expected of him, dunno, but virtually no sooner had many, including myself, written him off than he really began to take off.
    I had written him off too - his first few crops certainly didn't set the harness scene on fire, but now they hold their own. Its not oftern you see a come back in the stallion ranks like that...

triplev123
    Interestingly, John Coffey has always had faith in the horse and now, after a couple of stop-overs, CUF is finally on the Alabar Roster.

+ Reply to Thread