Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Review of the Vicbred Finals AND the Melton Track - opinions please

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

A Review of the Vicbred Finals AND the Melton Track - opinions please

In the other thread Jack asked "Josh Aiken wtf" and I have chosen to start a new thread as I would like people's opinions on what I see as something that is stopping Melton from being an excellent track

Maybe Josh Aiken's drive made perfect sense (to him) as he had done his homework on the 5 previous Gp1's for the night

HAS MELTON GOT A RIDICULOUS FENCE BIAS?

Four of those Gp1's saw the Quinella come from the leader and leader's back with one of those races seeing the first 4 all come along the poles while another saw the first 5 all come along the poles
    In the other Gp 1 the leader tired but the Quinella still came from the pole line horses

You would not call any of these races processions but Melton has a serious leader's/poles bias and the sprint lane adds to this

I know HRV has plenty of land around Melton but I cannot remember if they have any room at the bottom end to extend the track by 100m and add 50m to the straight(s) at the bottom end. Maybe we could even do away with that sprint lane if they did and just maybe we would have a track that gives the outside horses a fair chance

What do you think?

A link to the replays for the Gp 1's for anyone who missed them (although you will not see Race 8 until Mediatec wake up). Race 9 is the Josh Aiken one

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...X040715&ms=vic

Impressed by the quick fix by HRV/Mediatec when contacted on a Sunday
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-05-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Mediatec
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Kev the entire set up of Melton is nothing but a complete and utter balls up. From the track, horse barn, dinning area/food they couldn't have stuffed it up any more if they tried. Unfortunately that's what happens when you have people ruining the sport that are unqualified for jobs that have, refuse to listen to participates or people who know what they doing.

Member Gelding Lenem will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lenny Bagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    In the other thread Jack asked "Josh Aiken wtf" and I have chosen to start a new thread as I would like people's opinions on what I see as something that is stopping Melton from being an excellent track

Maybe Josh Aiken's drive made perfect sense (to him) as he had done his homework on the 5 previous Gp1's for the night

HAS MELTON GOT A RIDICULOUS FENCE BIAS?

Four of those Gp1's saw the Quinella come from the leader and leader's back with one of those races seeing the first 4 all come along the poles while another saw the first 5 all come along the poles
    In the other Gp 1 the leader tired but the Quinella still came from the pole line horses

You would not call any of these races processions but Melton has a serious leader's/poles bias and the sprint lane adds to this

I know HRV has plenty of land around Melton but I cannot remember if they have any room at the bottom end to extend the track by 100m and add 50m to the straight(s) at the bottom end. Maybe we could even do away with that sprint lane if they did and just maybe we would have a track that gives the outside horses a fair chance

What do you think?

A link to the replays for the Gp 1's for anyone who missed them (although you will not see Race 8 until Mediatec wake up). Race 9 is the Josh Aiken one

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...X040715&ms=vic

Impressed by the quick fix by HRV/Mediatec when contacted on a Sunday
    The mere fact that most of the winners raced on poles is insufficient to claim " a bias". Clearly when the top class horses (and major chances) take the front end positions, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to come from back in the field.
    BTW best run outside the winners was clearly Jilliby Jagger who looks to have unlimited potential.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenem View Post
    The mere fact that most of the winners raced on poles is insufficient to claim " a bias". Clearly when the top class horses (and major chances) take the front end positions, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to come from back in the field.
    BTW best run outside the winners was clearly Jilliby Jagger who looks to have unlimited potential.
    I am not basing this on 6 races Lenny LOL.
    see link
    http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...Position-Stats

If it is 'impossible to come from back in the field' the track may as well be the showgrounds and then it will at least be spectacular viewing
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding Lenem will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lenny Bagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I am not basing this on 6 races Lenny LOL.
    see link
    http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...Position-Stats

If it is 'impossible to come from back in the field' the track may as well be the showgrounds and then it will at least be spectacular viewing
    My point is that when the fields are even winners can and do come from anywhere.
    When fields are "lopsided" the class animals bully there way to the prime,front of field positions and dominate.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    My point is that when the fields are even winners can and do come from anywhere.
    When fields are "lopsided" the class animals bully there way to the prime,front of field positions and dominate.
    But my stats from the first half of the season for every Metro race run at Melton show that they do not come from anywhere
    145 out of 194 races, the winner came from either the 1,2,3, or 4 position. That is 75%. Too many IMO.
    I think even a 50m longer straight would reduce this number and give more horses a chance - a bit like the gallops do

In the better class races like Saturday's Gp 1 the bullying really only happened when Josh Aiken perhaps rightfully figured "that if I cannot get to the fence I have next to no chance" for in the 5 Gp1's before that nearly every single place getter did not so much bully as just landed on the pegs thanks to their barrier draw (and in some cases gate speed)

I guess we will have to beg to differ on whether more horses should be able to come from further back in the field for a track to be considered an excellent track. Even if we take it as acceptable that horses near the front or assisted by a sprint lane should be winning the vast majority of races, somewhat longer straights would see/enable more horses to have a crack at those positions with mid race moves, otherwise maybe we should be limiting our fields to about 8 starters as those that settle back (often through no fault of their own) have very little chance
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Kev I agree it's the most leader bias track in Australia, if you don't lead, sit behind the leader, or 3 fence in most races you have no chance.

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    The best racing in Australia by 100 yards is the smallest metro track with no sprint lane, Gloucester Park.

It's Gloucester Park first, daylight 2nd. They get more peeps (paying too) to a regular Friday night meeting at Gloucester Park than feature nights anywhere else. The racing is competitive, there's atmosphere, it's a great night out.

The argument for bigger tracks and sprint lanes for fairer racing and "Turnover" is seriously flawed. Melton is a dud, Menangle at the very least doesn't have a sprint lane but they can't give enough for peeps to attend and I was Albion Park on Saturday night, it was an embarrassment. They unveiled the Blacks A Fake beer garden, no beer until the 3rd and when you could it was XXXX in a can.

Feature races, on bigger tracks, 6 off the front, 6 off the back. It's a joke.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am more accepting of your point tonight Lenny although I still think there could be improvements to the track (including no sprint lane - so there is no incentive to hand up to the 'bullies')
    Another leader dominated night at Melton
    Leaders just get it too easy - longer straights might see more mid race moves / more pressure
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-17-2015 at 11:29 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread