Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pre Race Interviews

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Pre Race Interviews

Is there any point in doing pre race interviews as they are virtually scoring up, if it is to help/encourage punters, surely the vast majority have already made up their mind and our Sky minutes would be better employed by doing the interviews before they go out on the track. Thoughts?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I know I can find fault too easily, I like to think that it is because that I take the good for granted and I am only interested in improving but that is not ideal so I should add to this thread that I think it is great that we are getting these extra minutes instead of being squeezed between dog races
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    i think it is great Kevin...anything that modernises our sport & adds a little bit of insight to the general public is a good thing in my book.

Member Filly codywinnell will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    I recon they're a great innovation and I think Jason, Blake and Gareth do a tremendous job with it. At this stage of the pre-race punters probably want to know tactically what might happen, so it's a final chance to get a comment from the driver while also showcasing a bit of colour and excitement from being "up close" to the action.

Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    Reckon*

Junior Member Weanling sixgoalhero will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Eddie Kunert
    I think they are a great look for the sport and the presenters do a great job. I'm not someone that bets in the last few minutes either, but interviewing the drivers before they go out, you really don't get much from them, they seem to reveal a bit more at that later stage.

I was watching last Friday with my old man (who doesn't often bet on the trots), they interviewed Jason Lee, driving Jilliby Jitterbug and he pretty much gave the horse no chance of beating the fav, so my old man had a bet on I think it was Rocknroll Magic, which then bolted in, he was loving it and said how great the prerace interviews looked.

Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    Fantastic stuff Eddie, glad you get something out of it and glad your old man backed a winner because of the interview! Also the other night Chris Svanosio was interviewed before driving Desdon Murruffy, I think it was. He was asked if he'd be pushing to the front and he basically said no he wouldn't be. So when he jagged back to last punters who heard him pre-race would not have been panicking too much because they knew he had no real intention of finding the front. Sure enough he burst home along the pegs late in the race for the win.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I know I will be branded a snob but watching Gareth at Albion Park tonight, I think he has to be more professional and drop the 'mate' from every sentence
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I know I will be branded a snob but watching Gareth at Albion Park tonight, I think he has to be more professional and drop the 'mate' from every sentence
    You must have given up on the AFL years ago, Kevin? After all, all boundary riders since the big Dipper (and including him) have used the term "mate" regularly in their coverage.

In my opinion it's fair for you to say you don't like it, but to question his professionalism publicly feels a bit unfair. I think he's a dynamic performer in the media and our industry needs more like him.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am guessing you must be a fan of the Footy Show still Cody. How about - I don't like Gareth's interviewing style because I think it lacks a professional touch
    If he is mates with them all, it will be simple for him to call them by their names - I will have to listen to him a bit longer in future to see what he calls the girls (sheila ?)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread