Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I have just reviewed the recent Breeders Crown heats for 2 year old colts and geldings;
1) June 13. Globe Derby 4 starters 2.00.6 NON TAB
2) July 9 . Cambridge NZ. 2 starters 2.06.9 NON TAB
3) July 10. Albion Park 3 starters 2.00.8
4)July 12 Launceston 3 starters 2.05.1
5)July 21 Menangle 9 starters 1.56.3
6)July 24 Addington NZ 2 starters 2.01 NON TAB
7) July 27 Gloucester Park 2 starters 1.59.3
8) August 4 Shepparton 2 heats 9 starters in each. 158.9 and 1.59.4

There are many owners who do not pay up for the BC and question the fairness of the Series. This concept originated in Victoria and since HRV have made it Australasian we have lost the integrity of the series and the consideration for the Victorian owners. As shown by the list of heats most are made up of 2 or 3 runners. If these were normal races they would not stand up ; yet the ' winners ' proceed directly to the $20,000 semi finals . Where is the fairness for the 27 NSW and VIC horses/ owners who have to go forward thru the repacharges. All participants should be subject to the same rules and conditions , why put on a race for 2 horses and give the winner a free shot at $20,000. If they cannot fill a race the horses should have to come to Victoria to participate on a level playing field.
NZ do not have heats of the Jewels in Aus. Also why were the first heats held on June 13 and the final heats on August 8. ? 2 months to run 9 heats is an extemely long time and further disadvantages the Victorian based horses especially as the Vicbred Series has just finished. HRV need to review the BC as a matter of urgency, pay ups are falling and the prize money is in decline. I firmly believe after speaking with other owners that the perception that all horse / owners are not treated in a fair and unbiased manner is a major factor in their non participation.
Couldn't agree more with your words of wisdom Anne and I've been banging on about this for ages, The 2 and 3 horse races(NON TAB) are of zero value as they carry no TAB turnover and Definitley give horses an unfair advantage to progress to the Semi Finals, They need to be eliminated and if the Kiwi's and Interstate owners and trainers that have a young horse that they think is good enough to compete, They must be made to travel to Victoria and all go through the same qualifying criteria and the Breeders Crown must be run well away from the Vic Bred series to give the Baby's a bit of a rest, At least a month apart at the minimum, After speaking to a couple of my Kiwi friends, They aren't real happy about the Australian horses being invited to the Harness Jewels so the same should apply with their series as well, If you want to compete, Pack your horse up and make the trip and field sizes must be able to attract the Precious TAB turnover, Surely the Heats could be run with a minimum of 7 starters so we get the full return from the TAB, Just seems like commonsense to me, I think the concept is great, Nominate your mare when she's in foal and continue to make your payments and if your horse isn't ready, You have the option of skipping a year for free but the set up clearly needs to be tweaked.