Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Race 3 at Menangle tonight

aussiebreno
    If you're of the belief it was a bad look stewards didnt find anything immediately after the race then I can't see how you now believe its a bad look that they are now taking the matter further?

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Surely it doesn't take 5 day's to have a look at the race and the betting trend, to be honest i'd bury it and move on and just keep a closer eye on thing's.

Junior Member Foal The Money Tree will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Mango you cant just 'bury it' because it encourages the grubs to keep on doing it.
    The race was an absolute digrace. Ben Sarina grabs hold after the start and turns his head 180 degrees to find out where the stablemate is.
    As soon as is sure, he looks 3 times to check, he then allows the horse more reign and hammers the leader.
    The mistake the stewards made in all this was not to open an inquiry on the spot.
    As soon as fixed odds markets opened on the TAB Fleur de Lil was well backed $10-$5 from memory.
    For the record I didnt bet in the race.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Fair call but surely it doesn't take 5 day's.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    aussiebreno - Sorry , the wording of my post did not reflect my feelings correctly. What I actually meant to say was that it was a bad look having to now open a retrospective inquiry five days after the race after already making their original "findings". It was obvious to most onlookers ( and to several drivers who drove other horses ) that there needed to be a full inquiry immediately after the race , not five days later and only after a fair amount of controversy.

I will preface it with saying that in all probability , nothing much will happen anyway. BTW, I did not have a bet in the race either.

Member Filly DAZZA will become famous soon enough DAZZA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    Quote Originally Posted by The Money Tree View Post
    Mango you cant just 'bury it' because it encourages the grubs to keep on doing it.
    The race was an absolute digrace. Ben Sarina grabs hold after the start and turns his head 180 degrees to find out where the stablemate is.
    As soon as is sure, he looks 3 times to check, he then allows the horse more reign and hammers the leader.
    The mistake the stewards made in all this was not to open an inquiry on the spot.
    As soon as fixed odds markets opened on the TAB Fleur de Lil was well backed $10-$5 from memory.
    For the record I didnt bet in the race.
    That was the bit that stood out most to me, he almost fell out of his seat when he saw Luke there and couldnt get up outside the leader fast enough. GUILTY.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Did anyone notice Ben Sarina got a $1000 fine for doing a photoshoot without permission or wearing appropriate safety attire? Got some issues those stewards up in NSW.

triplev123

COMPLETELY missed the point

Beef City Beau inquiry result

06 July 2011

by Bill Cable

Stewards resumed an inquiry into the driving tactics of Ben Sarina (BEEF CITY BEAU) from the Menangle race meeting on 11 June 2011.

Evidence was taken on the night in question but after receiving betting information obtained from both Betfair and the TAB which indicated that the stablemate of BEEF CITY BEAU, namely FLEUR DE LIL had come in for support, Stewards revisited the Inquiry.

Also questioned were the Trainer of both runners Mr Luke McCarthy who was also the driver of FLEUR DE LIL who stated that due to other drivers in the race failing to take the opportunity to gain the one out one back position, he progressed forward on FLEUR DE LIL to take that spot which placed his drive on the back of BEEF CITY BEAU. McCarthy further stated that the first of two quarters of the last mile were run in 29.8 which for that class of horse was relatively slow.

Stewards accepted that evidence and feel that the betting information failed to show anything untoward other than normal betting trends.

Both Ben Sarina and Luke McCarthy were advised that in future they should not place themselves in a position that could lead to their drives being questioned.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Beef City Beau inquiry result

06 July 2011

by Bill Cable

Stewards resumed an inquiry into the driving tactics of Ben Sarina (BEEF CITY BEAU) from the Menangle race meeting on 11 June 2011.

Evidence was taken on the night in question but after receiving betting information obtained from both Betfair and the TAB which indicated that the stablemate of BEEF CITY BEAU, namely FLEUR DE LIL had come in for support, Stewards revisited the Inquiry.

Also questioned were the Trainer of both runners Mr Luke McCarthy who was also the driver of FLEUR DE LIL who stated that due to other drivers in the race failing to take the opportunity to gain the one out one back position, he progressed forward on FLEUR DE LIL to take that spot which placed his drive on the back of BEEF CITY BEAU. McCarthy further stated that the first of two quarters of the last mile were run in 29.8 which for that class of horse was relatively slow.

Stewards accepted that evidence and feel that the betting information failed to show anything untoward other than normal betting trends.

[FONT=Verdana]Both Ben Sarina and Luke McCarthy were advised that in future they should not place themselves in a position that could lead to their drives being questioned.[/FONT]
    I'll skip over the rest because I'm sure others will talk about it but this. After clearing them of anything untoward and thus saying both Beef City Beau and Fleur De Lil were given the best possible drives to gain the best possible placing (or whatever the rule exactly is) are stewards saying don't follow the rule in the future if it might look like you are team driving. That is a disgrace. You do your best whether it looks suss or not; stewards are effictively telling them to not do your best if it looks suspicious despite telling them that they were not guilty. By golly are the soft or stupid or both???

triplev123

Maybe I'm taking too literal a view of it all however...

What really gets to me Breno is the way in which this somehow lost its way and became a bit of a false flag mission. It was never at any stage, I don't believe for one minute that it was ever...about the Punt.
    Instead...I think it has/had EVERYTHING to do with the simple and inescapable fact that Beef City Beau was driven in a manner that was completely & utterly contrary to virtually every single race start that horse has had for as far back as I can remember.
    A reading of the initial Stewards Report, which to me indicates a seemingly unquestioning acceptance of the excuse for the drive, then saw this become a real isssue regarding the non-application by the Stewards of their often incorrectly or heavy handedly used Change of Tactics rule.
    I was initially stunned by their inaction in the face of that which I believe to be the one absolutely true & glaring case we have wittnessed in recent times...an instance where the full force of the Change of Tactics rule could have been apllied and brought to bare...but instead it just zipped straight through to the Keeper.
    I am further bemused that the subsequent/further inquiry became focussed on the Punt...when all that was actually required was a retraction of the Steward's apparent initial acceptance of the explanation backed up by a very solid rebuking of the driver for his efforts...one that was simply in keeping with those received by others in recent times for drives that were far, far less culpable in nature.
    In that respect, you know none of this need have progressed beyond the Stewards Report of June 11th.
    Something simple like B. Sarina was severely reprimanded for his drive on Beef City Beau, in particular the way in which the horse was driven in a manner contrary to previous outings and he was reminded of his obligations etc etc etc.
    Instead, when Participants see what they saw and accordingly look to the Stewards Report, well, they'd probably not have felt any great level of redress from the wording of the original one of June 11th nor July 6th's...especially those who may have fallen foul of the Change of Tactics rule themselves.
    Last edited by triplev123; 07-07-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: corrected spelling errors

+ Reply to Thread