Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do we need to do to get this forum ticking over again?

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    I'm not passing judgment on the drive in this race or Dan's post (I presume Dan is referring to the two horses locking wheels). My question is after reading the stewards report for this meeting the horse is blamed for hanging in and the driver gets 21 days, no warning and or stood down for a trial on the horse for being intractable.

Race 5 two drivers cautioned for causing interference.
    Race 6 you could scratch your head.

And the general report tacked on the end.

Either the stewards report is missing some information or I'm way off. After reading the post about this I watched the replays of this meeting on the computer (they were a bit fuzzy). My only point is if the report states that the horse hung in how does the driver get 21 days. How many times have drivers blamed the horse for hanging in when there there is interference in a race (blame it on the horse just don't get time). If the horse ducks in quick drivers get caught (he just ducked in).

Lasse you are dead right about some of those new style gig stays, they are on back to front can not help but lock wheels.

RACE 8 – NEVELE R STUD PACE – 2030 metres

In the vicinity of the 1800 metres when improving BRIGHT AND SONNY hung in and locked wheels with BIG ABRAXAS NZ resulting in those horses taking no further part in the race. After reviewing the official vision M Young the driver of BRIGHT AND SONNY was charged with carelessness under Rule 168(1). M Young plead guilty and her licence to drive in races was suspended for a period of 21 days from midnight.

GENERAL:
    Subsequent to Race 8, the Stewards interviewed Trainer D Thomas into his conduct and the substance of commentary directed to M Young the Driver of BRIGHT AND SONNY as runners left the track post-race. Mr Thomas admitted that he had spoken inappropriate words towards the Driver. After considering the evidence, Stewards charged Mr Thomas with misconduct under Rule 231(2). He plead guilty and was fined $ 800 of which $ 300 was suspended provided Mr Thomas did not breach the Rules relating to conduct within the following 12 months.

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-r...&fromstate=nsw

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I'm not particularly interested in the mundane day to day racing on the eastern seaboard there's enough of that over here and reading this forum everyday opinions and comments tend to be somewhat egocentric hence the lack of forum members from WA I presume. An example of this was race 6 at G.P. last Friday night and the brilliant win by Classic American in 1:52:6 - not a mention. Never mind Gloucester Park's summer racing carnival culminating with the I.D. will be upon us soon and that will rekindle my interest. Look out for some scintillating times on our little greyhound track. I agree with Ash the cobalt issue is so tedious now but the one thing I've been interested in is the backing off of the so-called performance trainers since the cobalt controversy has hit the proverbial fan and I can name a few.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    I'm not particularly interested in the mundane day to day racing on the eastern seaboard there's enough of that over here and reading this forum everyday opinions and comments tend to be somewhat egocentric hence the lack of forum members from WA I presume. An example of this was race 6 at G.P. last Friday night and the brilliant win by Classic American in 1:52:6 - not a mention. Never mind Gloucester Park's summer racing carnival culminating with the I.D. will be upon us soon and that will rekindle my interest. Look out for some scintillating times on our little greyhound track. I agree with Ash the cobalt issue is so tedious now but the one thing I've been interested in is the backing off of the so-called performance trainers since the cobalt controversy has hit the proverbial fan and I can name a few.
    Hey Rod if you post enough you (and your WA mates) can make this forum predominantly West Australian.
    You complain about no mention of Classic American's performance but aren't there a couple of million people in WA and a few harness followers who could have posted about this (including a retired RR). I want to read that sort of stuff but like you, mostly follow my state as they are the meetings I go to, the time zone I am in, etc etc but if I see something interesting like that on here I take notice (is that being egocentric?)

Nobody contributing to the forum is an employee of Harnesslink - we are all just enthusiasts like yourself. If nobody posts anything it simply means there is a lack of enthusiasm I guess. I think Ash has a point about Twitter being big with the young ones but following Carlton on the Big Footy forum, I know that that one AFL club has many times more traffic on its 1/18th of that particular forum, than we seem to generate for our whole industry so I think there is a place for forums and twitter.
    I started this thread as a plea for people like your good self to help me try and get this forum ticking

You would generally expect to see a performance like Classic American's get a story in Harnesslink News (which can sometimes then prompt a thread on the forum by somebody) I wonder whether the HRWA's PR people are doing enough if we do not see this story, although you do get stories from all the states in Harnesslink News. Kyle Galley (poster Amlin on the forum) always gets stories on Harnesslink News about little old Warragul - before and after their meetings

One of the reasons I struggle to keep up with what is happening in the other states is that I cannot stand watching Sky 1/2 for too long - the endless barrage of gallops and dogs along with the trots is not relaxing viewing. If we had something like the new Ch7 gallops channel where they only cover a couple of premium meetings it would be compulsory pull up a chair and settle in stuff. Imagine being able to enjoy just Perth and Melbourne on Friday night and Sydney and Brisbane on Saturday night (and maybe Adelaide and Hobart on another). See the horses in the parade ring, have interviews, replays of form races etc

On the Cobalt issue I will beg to differ- we cannot sweep the drug problem under the carpet as it truly questions whether we are horse lovers or not

Keep posting info like the Classic American info and we will all take note. Cheers

ps If there was enough enthusiasm/traffic each state could have its own forum like each AFL team - after all little NZ has its own
    Last edited by Messenger; 08-18-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: ps
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Hey Rod if you post enough you (and your WA mates) can make this forum predominantly West Australian.
    You complain about no mention of Classic American's performance but aren't there a couple of million people in WA and a few harness followers who could have posted about this (including a retired RR). I want to read that sort of stuff but like you, mostly follow my state as they are the meetings I go to, the time zone I am in, etc etc but if I see something interesting like that on here I take notice (is that being egocentric?)

Nobody contributing to the forum is an employee of Harnesslink - we are all just enthusiasts like yourself. If nobody posts anything it simply means there is a lack of enthusiasm I guess. I think Ash has a point about Twitter being big with the young ones but following Carlton on the Big Footy forum, I know that that one AFL club has many times more traffic on its 1/18th of that particular forum, than we seem to generate for our whole industry so I think there is a place for forums and twitter.
    I started this thread as a plea for people like your good self to help me try and get this forum ticking

You would generally expect to see a performance like Classic American's get a story in Harnesslink News (which can sometimes then prompt a thread on the forum by somebody) I wonder whether the HRWA's PR people are doing enough if we do not see this story, although you do get stories from all the states in Harnesslink News. Kyle Galley (poster Amlin on the forum) always gets stories on Harnesslink News about little old Warragul - before and after their meetings

One of the reasons I struggle to keep up with what is happening in the other states is that I cannot stand watching Sky 1/2 for too long - the endless barrage of gallops and dogs along with the trots is not relaxing viewing. If we had something like the new Ch7 gallops channel where they only cover a couple of premium meetings it would be compulsory pull up a chair and settle in stuff. Imagine being able to enjoy just Perth and Melbourne on Friday night and Sydney and Brisbane on Saturday night (and maybe Adelaide and Hobart on another). See the horses in the parade ring, have interviews, replays of form races etc

On the Cobalt issue I will beg to differ- we cannot sweep the drug problem under the carpet as it truly questions whether we are horse lovers or not

Keep posting info like the Classic American info and we will all take note. Cheers

ps If there was enough enthusiasm/traffic each state could have its own forum like each AFL team - after all little NZ has its own
    Good call Kev.
    if someone is interested in maybe one state or just FFA racing or just Junior racing, start a Thread about it, then like minded people who also like that flavour or genre so to speak can have their own little corner to passionately bang on about their topic.
    thats what i did with the Trotters thread, maybe Rod you could start a GP or WA thread and then other Westerners would come and share what they know, who they spoke to on the track at the trials, whats new at Bunbury, whos the best horse in WA etc, you get the idea.
    Same goes for any state in Australia, it could be a thread on Claiming races, it could be anything! have a think guys and gals and sorry Rod i gotta say it, why didnt you post and start a thread about Classic American? tell us whats happening in your state, educate us! You love your state you love GP you have passion for both and you can write, we are all ears-(eyes!).

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Aren't people interested in talking about all things harness anymore?

I don't want to be virtual sole contributor.
    I might try too hard sometimes but if a forum does not have new posts it is the equivalent of Harnesslink News not having any news - after a week or two of checking and finding nothing new, people stop checking in.

I want to be a reader as well as a poster
    I cannot believe there are not topics that people want to discuss or interesting/quirky titbits of news that the media miss but are known to our rank and file members (every week in every state)

With dozens of winners around the country every day you would think someone might have something for the 'Congratulations' thread at least or maybe the 'Odds and Ends' or even the 'Trotters Only' - I am desperate

I am really worried when it is Warragul tomorrow and we don't have a plug from Kyle

Is there a new site or is it something else?

A Forum is a place for open discussion and voicing ideas and I think if we let it die, one day we might wish we hadn't

Sorry Kev...the national site didn't run my "free advertisement" for the Warragul meeting either...turnover must be fine without the need for extra publicity!!

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Ash and Kev, Some great idea's in #13 and #14, I might have to start one about a Pacing bred filly that likes to Trot soon, I know you will be interested Ash but I'll wait and see what comes of it first.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    Sorry Kev...the national site didn't run my "free advertisement" for the Warragul meeting either...turnover must be fine without the need for extra publicity!!
    They're not free ads Kyle - they are keeping us informed. I did not see it before Monday but I did discover this yesterday

http://www.harnesslink.com/News/Prem...ts-up-at-trots

Good stuff as usual Kyle
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    ???
    You guys tell me
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Hi There
    Since I started on this forum about 12 months ago..I have begun to use Twitter abd Facebook through our Club Sites ( Bendigo Trots) and also the HRV accounts.
    The traffic on those is increasing, and immediate.
    So maybe the forum users are migrating to other platforms which are more immediate...and easy to use on your phone.
    The big issues seem to attract pepole to Harnesslink, but the immediate stuff seems to be on social media, Kevin.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think you are right Noel. I am not a phone person. I bushwalk every day and never take it with me. I chuckle when I think of how adults used to be concerned about how much time kids spent in front of televisions - it is nothing compared with how much time everybody around me seems to spend on phones and how people give nothing else their full attention (call me old fashioned but IMO it verges on rude and affects normal conversation)
    I clearly get on the computer a couple of times a day and what I like about the forum is the fact that we can/used to have lengthy debates (and I touch type quickly while I flounder on phone keys LOL)

Overall I think we just do not have enough interest in harness racing.
    If I visit forums like Big Footy even a single club board like that of wooden-spooners Carlton whose season finished weeks ago, they have dozens if not hundreds of posts today and everyday of the year
    Thorougbredvillage forum always has stacks of posts whenever I look
    NZ's harness Cafe ticks along OK

Oh well it was good while it lasted
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread