Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Aussies of the '70s .. Bendigo Bookies night

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We have to leave Angelique and Cocky Raider out Noel as they were the 60's and Tony Bear was more of a 60's too
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Beltane will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Jones
    Looking back down the foggy ruins of time, in no particular order, I can certainly remember the feats and deeds of:

Hondo Gratten; Paleface Adios; Koala King; Pure Steel; Maoris Idol; Bold Biami; Markovina; Rip Van Winkle; Welcome advice and bold David

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I wasn't sure whether Bold Biami quite belonged up there with the others (a bit like my suggested Court Jester) but Koala King is a good pick up that should be on the selection list although I suppose a couple of his better performances were in 1980
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I wasn't sure whether Bold Biami quite belonged up there with the others (a bit like my suggested Court Jester) but Koala King is a good pick up that should be on the selection list although I suppose a couple of his better performances were in 1980
    Court Jester
    36 starts
    25 wins
    2 2nds
    4 3rds

if he was a pacer would he be in doing that to the best of his time?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I agree Ash (I was the one who added him to the list), I just thought he may have been overlooked because most of his top performances were as a juvenile - not necessarily saying he should be overlooked
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Ok..latest list of possibles:
    Court Jester, Bold David, Tara Meadow, Cocky Raider, Welcome Advice, Monara, Reichman, Hondo Grattan, Just Too Good, Paleface Adios, Royal Gaze, Adios Victor, Pure Steel, Markovina, Touch Merchant, Bay Johnny, Tony Bear, Retep's Pride, Maoris Idol, Rip Van Winkle, Manaroa....Carclew?

Pity we don't get this many notable horses competing against each other in FFAs as well as cups and interdoms. I guess they weren't racing until they were older

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Kev,
    I know I have bored some people on here about the virtues of Bold Biami before, but I'll just inform everyone else, his brilliant career was cut short in his 5 year old year, but he..

Defeated Hondo Grattan, Nicotine Prince, Adios Victor, Jason King and a host of great 3 year olds in the NSW Derby and the R.C. Simpson sprint ( then the premier one mile event for 3yo's in eastern Australia)

Donkey licked Just Too Good in the Intercity pace at Maitland when he was a 3Yo and Just Too Good was a 4yo.

As a 4 yo, he was the FIRST 4yo of all time to win 2 cup races at Harold park defeating not only those already mentioned but a host of other top horses in their prime, the second of which he won from a 12 yard handicap, working around the field, sitting in the death simple being far too good for them all...Hondo included ( who was off the front)

He was the best thing beaten in Hondo Grattan's 1973 Inter at HP never seeing daylight until it was all over ( off 12 yards behind) I'd like someone to tell me any of another 4YO that could match him... there was none... the only thing that stopped him going on to mega star status was the barbed wire they found in his intestines after his death.

Kev he was a far better horse than many you guys are spruiking and he was poetry in motion to watch.

cheers,
    Dan

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I cannot see how that could be boring Dan - I am suitably impressed
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly squaregaiter will become famous soon enough squaregaiter's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bruce Dalton
    maybe worth adding the mighty Mount Eden in this group

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    He has had a couple of mentions Bruce but I am not sure if he was ruled out due to being NZ bred
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread