Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we get people to breed more horses?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A long read too which sadly means not many will bother - that is the world today
    My favourite idea was
    A breeding register should also be looked into. Any mare that retires from racing is then entered onto the breeding register, Not only would this help in capturing details of the potential size of the breeding population, open the avenue of information sharing and the possibility of leasing and sale.
    I also liked his thoughts on scheduling/Sky Channel
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Off topic I guess, but the Melton track has been mentioned in this thread so just for peoples info, there is a huge housing development about to occur just to the east of the Melton track. Also believe a new suburb being planned to the north of it. One of the fastest growing areas in Australia.

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/f...or-growth.html

So the track will soon be surrounded by housing and with the population tipped to double in the next 15 years would appear to be ideally situated. New developments are usually populated with the 'younger generation'.

Also... Cody will probably be best to answer... What was done to get all those people there on Saturday night? Was the biggest crowd have seen there for ages. Had kids entertainment on and a band playing but was anything else done? Terribly disappointing that the storm put an end to the night. Am always interested when see new faces there. Asked a few of them whilst sheltering from storm if their first time there and why they came. Surprisingly most said yes and most said because no footy on, because it was a Saturday night and because a nice night (pre storm!) and most of them were locals.

Don't know the answer to the breeding question. As Harvey says it's a chicken and egg thing. People breeding to sell aren't going to keep breeding if they are going to lose money doing it. And it's a cost;y exercise as pointed out earlier and someone has to pay. If you look at hourly rates then most trainers would be amongst the lowest paid people going around.

I only breed one a year or so and keep them to race. Don't do it to make a dollar although you always hope you will. In all the time have been doing it have had one that paid his way and also financed a few more. But you have to be very, very lucky for that to happen. Don't know how you 'sell' that to people given that people these days are very impatient. Hard to expain to people when they ask why you do it. "Why spend all that money and take all that risk when you might not get anything back?" And then the same people ask "Why do you get so excited when you win one?"

Like Marks idea of a reality TV show! Would be real reality too not the concocted crap they serve up currently. Need to tell the stories of the lesser known people more too.

Dannos right about the ready to run horses. Know of someone who has been a long time follower but never had a share in a standardbred until recently. Took a share in an up and running one and have had a few wins already. Tipping that will get them involved in another one. But that won't happen everytime and selling something that 'might happen' is hard job to do. Like Harvey said you are trying to sell someone a dream. And when peoples dreams these days are meeting their perfect match or cooking a perfect steak on 'reality TV' it's a hard sell.

Stake money increases recently a real winner I reckon. Win 1 race as a 2, 3 or 4yo and get a $7k bonus. Not going to cover costs but its a great help.

Need to 'sell' the whole experience but as above, a hard job these days.

Someone took the time to write their thoughts on the whole industry here https://dashman01.wordpress.com/2015...-my-wish-list/

Interesting read.

I did notice Paul when I was there on business a couple of Friday's ago I happened to pass through the upstairs dining room about an hour before the first - there were 49 tables set for bookings - not sure if each holds 8 or 10 people but even with 8 at each table that is a good amount of pre-bookings for a Friday night IMO - and definitely something that can only go up in future if they enjoy themselves and have a value for money night.

Ballarat have had similar success of late too with groups, charity nights etc.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    I did notice Paul when I was there on business a couple of Friday's ago I happened to pass through the upstairs dining room about an hour before the first - there were 49 tables set for bookings - not sure if each holds 8 or 10 people but even with 8 at each table that is a good amount of pre-bookings for a Friday night IMO - and definitely something that can only go up in future if they enjoy themselves and have a value for money night.

But it is a long way from Warragul Kyle
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post

As an aside Kyle. Have been going to Moonee Valley and Flemington gallops the last 6 months or so. Take Luke to practice his race calling. World class facilities even in the middle of winter. And guess what? No bugger turns up! Crowd at Moonee Valley other week less than trots 20 year ago on a slow day. Central Melbourne location and no one turns up! Not just harness racing suffering. Guess Melton trying to engage local community and good for them. Will only get bigger I reckon.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I'll give you a lift Kev.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    ooops... think hit enter twice
    Last edited by Toohard; 10-13-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: oops

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    As an aside Kyle. Have been going to Moonee Valley and Flemington gallops the last 6 months or so. Take Luke to practice his race calling. World class facilities even in the middle of winter. And guess what? No bugger turns up! Crowd at Moonee Valley other week less than trots 20 year ago on a slow day. Central Melbourne location and no one turns up! Not just harness racing suffering. Guess Melton trying to engage local community and good for them. Will only get bigger I reckon.
    That is really interesting Paul, maybe it only catches on when it is not competing with football.
    At Stawell Races yesterday there are more attending than Stawell trots despite charging admittance, having no Dining, no pokies, no TAB - so they are doing OK

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    I'll give you a lift Kev.
    I'll be the jockey in the Gas tanker
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    How much land does HRV own out at Melton???

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    In more ways than one

+ Reply to Thread