Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: How do we get people to breed more horses?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    [QUOTE=Amlin;44600]There's a solution to Australia's trotting problems summed up in one paragraph in my opinion. Ironically, we had such a system in place going back 20 - 30 years, but it has been progressively pulled apart and destroyed over time.

I agree that the shrinking of opportunities at the grassroots level has seriously shrunk the access of the small time or hobby owner/trainer/driver..and breeder
    The Canadian OSS Grassroots racing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIrWW6uUjbM

and the US Fair Circuit http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolutenm/templates/article.aspx?
    articleid=64181&zoneid=1

are good examples bot of `what we have lost ...racing at Agricultural Shows and the Victorian Restricted meetings,...and what others have done to retain a broad base.
    Last edited by Adaptor; 10-29-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    [QUOTE=Adaptor;44601]
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    There's a solution to Australia's trotting problems summed up in one paragraph in my opinion. Ironically, we had such a system in place going back 20 - 30 years, but it has been progressively pulled apart and destroyed over time.

I agree that the shrinking of opportunities at the grassroots level has seriously shrunk the access of the small time or hobby owner/trainer/driver..and breeder
    The Canadian OSS Grassroots racing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIrWW6uUjbM

and the US Fair Circuit http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolutenm/templates/article.aspx?
    articleid=64181&zoneid=1

are good examples bot ofwhat we have lost ...racing at Agricultural Shows and the Victorian Restricted meetings,...and what others have done to retain a broad base.
    I think Dan has been espousing this for as long as I have been on this board
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Well there certainly seems to be enough evidence there with the Canadian Grassroots and also in Ohio, The Grassroots is the very backbone of this industry and for it to survive, The Grassroots must be healthy and encouraged, People will not continue to breed horses if there's no encouragement and I hate to use the term dog meat, But that's were a lot of horses are heading, I quite liked Cody's idea of weighted prizemoney but at the same time, There needs to be something for the little people to aim at and surely with all of the television coverage these days, TAB turnover would not be a problem, Hundreds of very good horses have been bred by small breeders and they are from the very Grassroots that I speak of and really, All horses must start somewhere and if good enough, Progress the through the ranks and compete at the top level for the bigger Prizemoney. I think that's it's a must for a few of the Executive's on the different boards to have some Grassroots experience and get out and listen to the people at this level, I don't like to point the finger at anyone in particular as this is a problem although the industry but the guy running the show at Menangle should know this better than anyone when he grew up on a property that bred horses at the very Grassroots and getting back to Cody and what Noel and James have touched on, Weighted prizemoney for the better horses does seem to have appeal but at the same time, Our industry needs these restricted meetings so the younger and inexperienced horses to try and make the progression to better racing, Here in NSW, The Country Cup days have a lot of appeal and usually have good crowds, There's no reason at all why the rest of the program could be run as a restricted meeting and I'm sure that the turnover at the TAB would still be healthy, There's a whole range of issues that need to be addressed for our great game to continue and having very healthy Grassroots is of the utmost importance and along with that, Correct programming for horses that have similar ability to compete against each other.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 10-29-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I wonder whether 'all of the television coverage these days' is working for us Rich.
    Let's face it we all have 'X' amount of hours to devote to racing.
    I no longer watch racing on Sky - I hate the mix/continuous barrage
    Although I have Foxtel, when I want to relax and enjoy some racing, nowadays I am finding myself turning on Ch78/68 (522 on Foxtel but only Standard Definition)
    It is pretty much taking up my 'X' hrs quota. Consequently when it comes to the trots I am perusing the results and watching the replay of anything that looks interesting.
    Of course I will fire up Sky to watch any major races live but I could see some VIC people thinking that they do not need to pay for Sky any more when they can get this for free (which means harness does not get a look in)
    Maybe some will still watch it through Aps on their phones - I am not much of a phone person so I will leave it to others to discuss that one however I hardly think it could be termed 'entertainment'

I went into Stawell on Monday to go to the trots but never made it there. Maybe I am having a rest but I am not so sure. Even though I had taken the Ipad with me for between race entertainment I was not enthused about amusing myself for the 40mins between races. When you watch Ch78, they have interviews pre and post race with the trainers and post race with the jockeys. They do a thorough preview of all the runners with extensive mounting yard footage. They have replays (using different angles) and footage of relevant form races for coming races. They do feature stories and crosses to the newsroom etc etc.
    I would not be surprised whether this is why crowds are down at the gallops too - you can get better entertainment/coverage from your couch.

In my submission to HRV I said that we need to be providing some of the above things at the track as not everybody is interested in interstate meetings to fill the void between races. It would be beyond our wildest expectations to have a trots channel the like of Ch78 but maybe we can do a few more things for patrons on track or via streaming like racing.com does (which is what Ch78 is). Let's have trotting.com.
    If we cannot wangle this, let's at least have on track TV screens showing replays and a view of the parade ring and the warm ups (admittedly the last two you can achieve yourself by just getting off your arse and some tracks do have replay screens)

I think this is all relevant to this thread as more breeders/owners comes from more followers
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    One of the big problems with HRV in the last 10 years or so is they turned their back on the country people(the backbone of the sport) by closing down country tracks and alienating entire communitys by not talking to and engaging with people, So a lot those one or two horse trainers/breeders have quit the sport, At first no one takes any notice until years later(eg- now) that the sport is struggling for foal numbers and everyone wonders why. In my memory, since hrv have been shamed into it by the audit, They have never had any, or barely any around the traps meetings with the participants like they have in the last month of so, So a lot of people feel like they don't have a voice or get listened to so they get fed up and leave the sport.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 10-31-2015 at 12:56 AM.

Member Filly DRUIDRACING will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    STEVEN PILE
    Occupation
    mr fix it
    Horses
    nearly none and you can guess why
    I agree with Mark. Post # 2. i am in a similar situation no breeding this year Have 3 mares 1 2yo 2 3yo 1 4yo and a 6 yo. and a foal about to be born............$$$ almost gone. We have had a few join with us and be a part but when yo have to wait such a long time to possibly get to the races... i mean possibly (they cant wait that long) takes a long time. The commercial breeders cant afford to breed when sales prices are lower than the cost to produce......... I have some problems with a few of my horses so get the buzz back I have purchased going horses to keep the dream alive .........but that had a 2 year wait as well (injured when the horse arived but thats the chance we take. Prizemoney levels, grading, and handicapping has also reduced the number bred........no quick fix here either nothing suits all.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Could be wrong as only half listening but heard ad on RSN this morning. Thoroughbreds.. don't recall stud or stallion but sure said pay nothing until your foal wins a $30k race.

+ Reply to Thread