Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we get people to breed more horses?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    My query would be, where have the horses gone over about a C4 mark. The noms drastically drop away in the country for races over C4, and "fast class" events are hardly even programmed outside of TP now except for Cup and claiming races.

I am told the drop back rule has created a glut of C1 horses but really, how many horses in a bottom up C1 have ever been a C5 in their career?

You race for much the same money in a C5 as you do a C0 - only in harness does this issue exist.

Even if I invested in shares in a company or had a term deposit, under normal circumstances you would expect your investment to earn an increased rate of return the longer you hold onto it

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    My query would be, where have the horses gone over about a C4 mark. The noms drastically drop away in the country for races over C4, and "fast class" events are hardly even programmed outside of TP now except for Cup and claiming races.

I am told the drop back rule has created a glut of C1 horses but really, how many horses in a bottom up C1 have ever been a C5 in their career?

You race for much the same money in a C5 as you do a C0 - only in harness does this issue exist.

Even if I invested in shares in a company or had a term deposit, under normal circumstances you would expect your investment to earn an increased rate of return the longer you hold onto it
    I think alot of that has to do with how races are program once horses get up in class, their country races c6 or better or metro mo or better. instead of say c5-c10 races or m2-m4 or m4 or better and so on. once u get up in grade a bit, they seem to group more classes together

Member Filly codywinnell will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post

Just my opinion this one, but I've always been a fan of weighted prizemoney dependent on class.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    sorry for not replying earlier, but I have been away for a few days checking out foals/mares etc

For me the answer is more owners or more prizemoney which is like the chicken and egg question. If you get either, the other will happen.

I firmly believe that in order to entice the youth and younger people of today as owners, you have to sell them a dream - a dream to win BIG. Much like the Golden Slipper and Magic Millions races.

People buy lotto tickets not because they expect to become overnight millionaires, but because there is a chance, albeit remote, to win immediate wealth.

We need to create a dream race/s that new owners can be drawn towards. They are not going to wait for 5 and 6 years to see if that dream is realised by winning an ID or Vic Cup or Hunter Cup

We should be throwing more money to 2 and 3yos. Once these people get hooked, just like I did some 15 years ago, then they will be more likely to race more horses and even breed horses.

I would love to see a $1m race for 2 and 3yos - for me this is the best way of getting new people into our sport.

Dan - I eagerly await your reply in the negative!

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by codywinnell View Post
    Just my opinion this one, but I've always been a fan of weighted prizemoney dependent on class.
    difinitely better chance of working than the current way which doesnt work,same with the trail coming up with PBD , which imo is a waste of time,would have been far better off to trail a system like this for 2-3months or more, I Think its one of the few ways to try and get more even races.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    sorry for not replying earlier, but I have been away for a few days checking out foals/mares etc

For me the answer is more owners or more prizemoney which is like the chicken and egg question. If you get either, the other will happen.

I firmly believe that in order to entice the youth and younger people of today as owners, you have to sell them a dream - a dream to win BIG. Much like the Golden Slipper and Magic Millions races.

People buy lotto tickets not because they expect to become overnight millionaires, but because there is a chance, albeit remote, to win immediate wealth.

We need to create a dream race/s that new owners can be drawn towards. They are not going to wait for 5 and 6 years to see if that dream is realised by winning an ID or Vic Cup or Hunter Cup

We should be throwing more money to 2 and 3yos. Once these people get hooked, just like I did some 15 years ago, then they will be more likely to race more horses and even breed horses.

I would love to see a $1m race for 2 and 3yos - for me this is the best way of getting new people into our sport.

Dan - I eagerly await your reply in the negative!
    I have always been one for thinking big too Harvey. In my submission to the HRV, I pointed out that devotees of the standardbred were 90% likely to have been to the trots in their younger years while gallops followers may have been hooked purely by the Melbourne Cup. I think we have to develop our equivalent of the Melbourne Cup, like the cup it has to be at the same venue, same distance, same qualifying conditions and on the same memorable date every year. I don't fancy the idea of it being a 2yo race at all but would be happy to consider our Melbourne Cup to possibly be the Derby (Australian?) on the last Sunday in August or something of that ilk
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Only two horses assessed higher than C6 drawn to compete across the four meetings between today (Monday) and Thursday in Victoria.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Sorry to disappoint you Harvey, but a actually agree with some of your points,

a) "selling a dream", no risk in the world this works if you hit the right note with the right demographic.

b) "they are not going to wait 5 and 6 six years to see if that dream is realised"

In my humble opinion the best way to introduce new owners to the game is not wait for a yearling to be broken in, given at least 3 preparations and then have the trainer tell you 95 out of a hundred times...

" mate he's not a 2 yo, but he looks like he might make the grade down the track" .....wonderful way to introduce new owners into the game...tell them there is a pot of gold...get them to buy a yearling for more than it is worth, promise them the world, and then 19 times out twenty inform them the dream might have to be put on hold for another couple of years!!!!! and then hope they are "hooked enough" off no fun, lots of bills, no return.....???

The best way to introduce new people to ownership is NOT and never has been buying yearlings, a smart man does not kill the potential enthusiasm of 95% of his market to prop up 5% that have a bit of fun and less than 3% who break even on costs.....what a bonza way to kill your product!!!! and guess what! we've been doing it for decades!!!

Introduce new owners to the game with ready to run horses they can buy this week and watch at the races next, they will have fun immediately win lose or draw, they haven't been bashed with never ending bills for absolutely nothing and they get a feel for the game, get to meet like minded folks at the races and have a much greater chance of becoming " hooked" ....like us! ( starting to feel like a "pusher" )

I admire everyone who loves this game as I do, we do not all have all the answers, but this tripe of increasing Juvenile prize money to get new owners into the game has played its part in sending people away....you can only squeeze an orange so many times before it gets dry and sour.

The answer is NOT more money for 2yo racing is actually less, we should be breeding for sustainability first and foremost and sustainability is not about producing 5% of the product getting to the races.

Thanks Harvey,

that's my " negative" reply,

Cheers,

Dan.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good stuff Dan - my introduction to ownership was a share of a going NZer

ps Nice to see Alycone visiting
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Off topic I guess, but the Melton track has been mentioned in this thread so just for peoples info, there is a huge housing development about to occur just to the east of the Melton track. Also believe a new suburb being planned to the north of it. One of the fastest growing areas in Australia.

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/f...or-growth.html

So the track will soon be surrounded by housing and with the population tipped to double in the next 15 years would appear to be ideally situated. New developments are usually populated with the 'younger generation'.

Also... Cody will probably be best to answer... What was done to get all those people there on Saturday night? Was the biggest crowd have seen there for ages. Had kids entertainment on and a band playing but was anything else done? Terribly disappointing that the storm put an end to the night. Am always interested when see new faces there. Asked a few of them whilst sheltering from storm if their first time there and why they came. Surprisingly most said yes and most said because no footy on, because it was a Saturday night and because a nice night (pre storm!) and most of them were locals.

Don't know the answer to the breeding question. As Harvey says it's a chicken and egg thing. People breeding to sell aren't going to keep breeding if they are going to lose money doing it. And it's a cost;y exercise as pointed out earlier and someone has to pay. If you look at hourly rates then most trainers would be amongst the lowest paid people going around.

I only breed one a year or so and keep them to race. Don't do it to make a dollar although you always hope you will. In all the time have been doing it have had one that paid his way and also financed a few more. But you have to be very, very lucky for that to happen. Don't know how you 'sell' that to people given that people these days are very impatient. Hard to expain to people when they ask why you do it. "Why spend all that money and take all that risk when you might not get anything back?" And then the same people ask "Why do you get so excited when you win one?"

Like Marks idea of a reality TV show! Would be real reality too not the concocted crap they serve up currently. Need to tell the stories of the lesser known people more too.

Dannos right about the ready to run horses. Know of someone who has been a long time follower but never had a share in a standardbred until recently. Took a share in an up and running one and have had a few wins already. Tipping that will get them involved in another one. But that won't happen everytime and selling something that 'might happen' is hard job to do. Like Harvey said you are trying to sell someone a dream. And when peoples dreams these days are meeting their perfect match or cooking a perfect steak on 'reality TV' it's a hard sell.

Stake money increases recently a real winner I reckon. Win 1 race as a 2, 3 or 4yo and get a $7k bonus. Not going to cover costs but its a great help.

Need to 'sell' the whole experience but as above, a hard job these days.

Someone took the time to write their thoughts on the whole industry here https://dashman01.wordpress.com/2015...-my-wish-list/

Interesting read.

+ Reply to Thread