Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: How do we get people to breed more horses?

Member Gelding broco will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    cullens moose, somart, ladybird
    You see kevin the gallops dont have this ridiculous stand down rule on scratching, you just pay your vets fee or scratching fee and be done with it, so if a horse draws an unsuitable barrier, cant get the right jockey, it rains and the track wont suit the horse or the trainer just isn't happy with the race he/she can scratch and the emergency gains a run.
    We are not afforded that in harness racing if you scratch your automatically stood down for at least 7 days from the race day not from the day you scratch even.
    There really are some very comical rules in harness racing that are pretty prehistoric and certainly dont do anyone any favours, surely bog tracks deserve a no penalty scratching.
    I suppose from someone who grew up in the thoroughbred industry the differences in the 2 codes is clearly obvious.

If we want more breeders than the overall value of the standardbred needs to rise because while ever its cheaper to buy than breed your going to struggle with breeder numbers

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    Swan Hill next Wednesday has only 48 horses involved.
    Six races only !

That on top of 7 races at Ballarat on Tuesday, and 7 races at Stawell on Monday.
    Probably because it was only a 7 race program they did not run the first until 2.03pm. I like to make it lunch part of the day out and today I did not make it to the trots even though I was in Stawell - things are crook especially when I went to the Hamilton Cup yesterday (gallops). Suggestions for my punishment are being taken
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Trot Brisbane - Twitter

Dreams can come true. Nice feel good harness racing story and the owner a little girl in Ohio is living her dream https://t.co/AmD6sIPuk9

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good one Paul. A must view everyone
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Just spotted on harnesslink too Kev. In news section.

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Great story Paul.

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    It is just my opinion but I think the opportunities for average horses to have a place in the sport has declined rapidly in last 5 years or so which inturn reduces the amount of breeding especially from the average Joe who can only afford the medium to lower priced sires - it wasn't long ago when you could breed a horse that could run around 1.59 to 2.00 minute mark & have a place to race & win a couple - these days with the decline in weekend racing combined with how fast the young horses are running these days a lot of people I have spoken to are sick of breeding dog meat - harsh reality but that's how I see it, we all know the cost,time & heartache of breeding horses - so my answer to the original topic is, it is a case of not so much throwing loads of money around the place but maybe finding ways to increase the opportunities & avenues.
    Last edited by Messenger; 10-28-2015 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling - you missed one :)

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HISGEN65 View Post
    It is just my opinion but I think the opportunities for average horses to have a place in the sport has declined rapidly in last 5 years or so which inturn reduces the amount of breeding especially from the average Joe who can only afford the medium to lower priced sires-it wasn't long ago when you could breed a horse that could run around 1.59 to 2.00 minute mark & have a place to race & win a couple-these days with the decline in weekend racing combined with how fast the young horses are running these days a lot of people I have spoken to are sick of breeding dog meat-hash reality but that's how I see it,we all know the cost,time & heartache of breeding horses-so my answer to the original topic is,it is a case of not so much throwing loads of money around the place but maybe finding ways to increase the opportunities & avenues.
    Amen to this. I only hope that the powers that be realise before it is too late that they have steered the industry into a huge black hole!
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    There's a solution to Australia's trotting problems summed up in one paragraph in my opinion. Ironically, we had such a system in place going back 20 - 30 years, but it has been progressively pulled apart and destroyed over time.

Restricted racing on weekends etc at country venues was a feeder into the TAB tracks. Just a memory now but talk to people, particularly those no longer involved, who had an involvement on a small scale, and they will tell you how important this was to the overall code, by creating a supply of horses and participants from the bottom up.

We now live with the results of what happens when you cut off the "grass roots".

Quote Originally Posted by HISGEN65 View Post
    It is just my opinion but I think the opportunities for average horses to have a place in the sport has declined rapidly in last 5 years or so which inturn reduces the amount of breeding especially from the average Joe who can only afford the medium to lower priced sires - it wasn't long ago when you could breed a horse that could run around 1.59 to 2.00 minute mark & have a place to race & win a couple - these days with the decline in weekend racing combined with how fast the young horses are running these days a lot of people I have spoken to are sick of breeding dog meat - harsh reality but that's how I see it, we all know the cost,time & heartache of breeding horses - so my answer to the original topic is, it is a case of not so much throwing loads of money around the place but maybe finding ways to increase the opportunities & avenues.

+ Reply to Thread