Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: How do we get people to breed more horses?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    How much land does HRV own out at Melton???
    Don't quote me but perhaps 100 acres

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Just read a bit of the recent Audit and sorry to correct you Kyle but it appears that HRV own 107 hectares at Melton, Very nice to own that in a growing area.

Member Filly codywinnell will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    As an aside Kyle. Have been going to Moonee Valley and Flemington gallops the last 6 months or so. Take Luke to practice his race calling. World class facilities even in the middle of winter. And guess what? No bugger turns up! Crowd at Moonee Valley other week less than trots 20 year ago on a slow day. Central Melbourne location and no one turns up! Not just harness racing suffering. Guess Melton trying to engage local community and good for them. Will only get bigger I reckon.
    Hi Paul,

To answer one of your earlier questions, the Melton Plate Night meeting is extremely well-supported by local community. The Melton Council gets involved in the evening with dining bookings, and this year they also tried out the in-harness experience, which the mayor absolutely loved.

It was a great crowd and everyone had a blast. It was so disappointing to see the weather gods turn on the evening because there was such a positive vibe around the joint with everyone having fun and some great racing planned.

As far as racing events go, Melton Plate night is always growing and it's a chance for the locals to go and celebrate this great industry that is in their backyard 24/7, 365 days a year.

I'm confident we as an industry will have won some new fans off the back of Saturday night even though we only had four races.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Thinking out of left field on how to get more people breeding more horses.....what if
    A stallion service and or semen was $0 but the stud got say 10% of prizemoney until aged 6.
    This would keep the initial costs down for the breeders and the stud could get a handsome return if their stallion produces some good ones.
    Horses could be sold at sales with a better chance of the breeder making something and the new owners have a silent partner in for 10% of return.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Info here on The Pegasus Project at Melton, which I think is the one driven by HRV and co on land surrounding the existing site.

http://www.pegasusproject.com.au/

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Offering over $1M in prizemoney at a midweek non-holiday meeting must help - unbelievable the gallopers (Caulfield today)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Thanks Kyle

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Croatto View Post
    It's always intrigued me how popular reality shows are, regardless whether the topic is cooking, trawler fishing, renovating houses, or prospecting for gold, they all seem to have a very strong following. I've given it some thought and I think it comes down to the fact that as humans most of us enjoy challenges and the pursuit of a goal. Striking gold, and how people got there is always interesting, hence why racing has been popular over the centuries. When you consider how many of these programs now exist it goes some way to explaining how good old fashion racing, as an entertainment option, is now struggling. Unfortunately we have kept doing things the way they have always been done and as a result we are struggling to keep up.

Having said that I am by no means suggesting we are a lost cause as there is one specific example from which we can gain confidence and that is Poker. I am stunned, that a game which is so boring to watch has all of a sudden become so popular. Quite amazing really and if you took a moment to consider why it has all to do with the way it has been promoted. The television presentation of it is laced with interesting snippets about the players, their strategies, and the risks and gains that can be made. The way they have dressed poker up is what is behind its meteoric rise in popularity, a popularity that is evident by the number of people that play it now in pubs and clubs. Our harness racing product is still being promoted as it always has and is it any wonder we are lagging behind!

I have no doubt that promoting our sport in new ways where we highlight the rivalry between stables, the strategies of drivers, the preparation of horses is one important way in which new fans can be reached. For goodness sake, they have made buying garage lockers filled with rubbish sexy, exciting and entertaining; surely we can do much better when you have the horses we enjoy so much as the centre piece. Why hasn't someone produced a reality show about harness racing which follows a couple of harness racing stables as they have gold mining crews in Gold Rush Alaska!!!!!
    Been thinking about this Mark and I think it is what I like about the new gallops Ch in Vic 68/78. They have time to tell the stories of racing
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge

Need Horses to Race

Swan Hill next Wednesday has only 48 horses involved.
    Six races only !

That on top of 7 races at Ballarat on Tuesday, and 7 races at Stawell on Monday.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Gee that is thin. I have been sneaking a peak at the gallopers lately and they seem to have the opposite problem in that they frequently have 4 emergencies named in country races even - it is worth being an emerg mind you as they often get a run
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread