Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Zealand Trotting Cup

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    No moves and no attacking the leader, Very unusual in NZ.
    Very true. But what the NZ races become are hand-up-athons. You find the early leader a lap later is three sometimes four back on the pegs. Horses keep going around and the latest leader hands up. Once Kerryn got the front there was no way she would hand up. Basically the race was over after 100 metres. They may as well waived the chequered flag then.

As for being boring it was but not in the usual NZ way. What it did do though was show the NZ drivers in a very poor light. Showed how one-dimensional they are and once the race was not run in their usual pattern they were frozen in their sulkies. Zero initiative shown. You have to wonder what they were thinking or even if they were thinking at all.

Even Natalie handing up the death at the bell was very ordinary. Her horse seemed to be travelling well.

Lastly, as for Ima Corzin Terror why did they not take a driver with them from here? Alford, Jack and Sugars have all driven him (Nathan Jack my choice) and would all be far superior to the NZ driver they used.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I agree with what you say Stephen and yet we cannot claim to have less boring racing in Australia, when a lot of the time the fave gets to the lead or death and then there are no moves until a 3w train forms at the bell.
    I have been watching a lot of gallops racing lately and really it is no better - pretty much no matter the distance they settle in positions, bunch up nearing the home bend, fan and sprint down the straight. I don't know why but it looks better - I think it must be the clearer form of the horse (no sulky), the green grass and maybe slightly better camera work
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    7/1 was good odds - I must say Merv sounded pretty confident when he spoke at the GR Medal on Sunday night - am amazed at the starting price actually!
    Not as good as 20/1 available about a month ago.

That said 7/1 was about right anyway. Had the easiest of runs and Smolda got very close.

+ Reply to Thread