Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Harness Racing needs something better than Sky 1

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    He was an amazing animal, not only did he do it but he finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd in the next three series
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Halwes will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    He was an amazing animal, not only did he do it but he finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd in the next three series
    Such a diminutive horse, you’d probably look away from him at sales event. Reminds me of the ‘ugly ducking’ who you’d definitely dismiss, Manaroa. But boy was he a hard horse to beat.

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    Quote Originally Posted by Halwes View Post
    Such a diminutive horse, you’d probably look away from him at sales event. Reminds me of the ‘ugly ducking’ who you’d definitely dismiss, Manaroa. But boy was he a hard horse to beat.
    You're sure right about Manaroa. Would never win a beauty contest but he was as tough as they come.

Here he is in action.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok1lUpRdg0I

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I decided to read stuff in these posts.. I must confess, there is a lot of knowledge here.. I got giddy so forgive me.
    It seems Sky has the rights ( for how long) , their parent is not Foxtel is it. I assume not. If not I saw somewhere that Foxtel were on their knees. Is there any hope Foxtel could take on harness racing. The problem
    m to me it seems is not having much larger purses at Melton for say Saturday night quality events . Then again when I went to Moonee Valley ( or was it Melton) just to see if Blacks a Fake could 'do a Makybe Diva' and win 3 inters in a row..in 2008.. I only went to see him for this special event.. I think he was 6 to 4 .. I backed him then went home.. but what amazed me was there was hardly anyone there .. it mattered .. I felt flat .. It was the first time I had gone to the trots since the mid 70s . The atmosphere at the Melb Showgrounds was pretty good.. I think the elevation of the stands and being close to the circuit added excitement.. I actually part owned Padomatic .. a horse that would lose 100 metres at the start in a mobile .. You probably would not have heard of him .. Ray Searby trained and drove him.. he's 78 now. You may have heard of other owners , Ken Brown and my brother John. I suspect not though . So, can we get crowds at the Trots .. fear not ... even if we had another Halwes. ��

oops I just read about Foxtel phone delay omg but do they televise anything now?
    I knew Padomatic Terry. He was bred by, and did his early racing for, my old mate Paddy Dunne. Paddy was a pioneer of the trots in Mildura and was a great mentor to me in my youth. I also remember Ray Searby from when he trained on the Melbourne Showgrounds. He later made Tulla Downs at the back of the airport his base. Good to hear he is still ticking along.

Member Yearling Halwes will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    I decided to read stuff in these posts.. I must confess, there is a lot of knowledge here.. I got giddy so forgive me.
    It seems Sky has the rights ( for how long) , their parent is not Foxtel is it. I assume not. If not I saw somewhere that Foxtel were on their knees. Is there any hope Foxtel could take on harness racing. The problem
    m to me it seems is not having much larger purses at Melton for say Saturday night quality events . Then again when I went to Moonee Valley ( or was it Melton) just to see if Blacks a Fake could 'do a Makybe Diva' and win 3 inters in a row..in 2008.. I only went to see him for this special event.. I think he was 6 to 4 .. I backed him then went home.. but what amazed me was there was hardly anyone there .. it mattered .. I felt flat .. It was the first time I had gone to the trots since the mid 70s . The atmosphere at the Melb Showgrounds was pretty good.. I think the elevation of the stands and being close to the circuit added excitement.. I actually part owned Padomatic .. a horse that would lose 100 metres at the start in a mobile .. You probably would not have heard of him .. Ray Searby trained and drove him.. he's 78 now. You may have heard of other owners , Ken Brown and my brother John. I suspect not though . So, can we get crowds at the Trots .. fear not ... even if we had another Halwes. ��

oops I just read about Foxtel phone delay omg but do they televise anything now?
    Glad to hear you knew of Padomatic and Ray Searby.. I can't believe you have heard of Padomatic.. didn't think anyone would have heard of him. You certainly are well read. You sound like you went to the Showgrounds every week. My brother was a member but I had just entered the workforce so couldn't afford it . It was sort of exclusive then. But when I went to Melton many many years later, everything had changed for the worse, except parking which was easy. I hated Melton, missed the row of bookies you saw at the Showgrounds, you saw the plunges, and the race to get the better odds . Melton had nothing to excite me. I prefer country meetings particularly chose the Pacing Cup meetings. I retired to NE Vic and haven't gone to a meeting up here yet. And after hearing the Tazzy govt announce today that greyhound, harness have been stopped today ( including the gallops) ???????? It will happen here to I expect by this weekend. I need to get more knowledge about form otherwise In am unlikely to go much.
    When you get some time , could you give say 10 or 12 horses that are good, and if you can the names of a few that are going well or show promise, but are not rated yet by others.
    Last edited by Halwes; 04-02-2020 at 11:54 PM.

aussiebreno
    SKy1 has been the most popular channel on Foxtel this month!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Of course it is the gallops (NSW and Qld) that are going to see Sky Racing (Thoroughbred Central) on free to air for the duration of the virus isolation

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...or-free-to-air
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Sky relegating last night's Gp1 Melton meeting to Sky 2 marks a new low in their disregard for harness racing

HRV have already issued a statement

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...ing-broadcast/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Sky relegating last night's Gp1 Melton meeting to Sky 2 marks a new low in their disregard for harness racing

HRV have already issued a statement

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...ing-broadcast/
    That is an insult transferring a G1 race no matter where it may be to a lesser channel. It infuriates me when Sky1 relegates a city GP race for some ''back of Burke" greyhound race. I avoid all Foxtel sky racing as much as possible it's Trots Vision for me in Vic that is fantastic wish we had that in WA.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Payback for giving Racing.com free to air coverage of Hunter Cup night, perhaps? Certainly set a record for HRV issuing a media release, keep up the good work.

+ Reply to Thread