Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Harness racing - things that annoy you most

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    I strongly object to having to wear a Welding Mask to the Melbourne APG for fear that I might have my Retinas burned from my head by way of reflected sunlight from Mightymo's snow white pins. It's high time that someone from the Sales Company had a word to him. Perhaps the APG might see to it that he has a couple of pre sale spins on the old Tanning Bed or if not then at least offer a spray on Tan, one that will last for the duration.
    It has to be an OH & S come public health issue. One of those nice brown/orange verging on yellow jobs that make the wearer look as though they've gone jaundiced as a result of a bad case of Hepatitis would be good. Over to you, Mightymo.
    Clever. Hehehe

Senior Member 2YO doinmabest has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Fred Hastings
    Timing system is meant to be sorted within the next 4-6 weeks......so we should get the fraction given almost immediately instead of having to wait for it to go up.....

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by doinmabest View Post
    Timing system is meant to be sorted within the next 4-6 weeks......so we should get the fraction given almost immediately instead of having to wait for it to go up.....
    Sure hope that is true. I know some harness fans could not care less , but it has bugged me since Menangle opened. Minor country tracks have this , but our "Number 1 " track still does not.

triplev123
    Its the Ghost Of HP at work once again. He haunted the timing system at Glebe for years and now he has moved South West, deposed Fisher's Ghost and taken up residence at Menangle. If you leave a fair way after the last...he sits on the railway bridge and empties cans of Watties Baked Beans on your car as you pass through below.

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Bias against smaller horses,

This is one of the things that annoys me. The number of times you seem to hear negative comments about a standardbred horse being on the small side. I understand with a thoroughbred that as they carry weight on their backs that being smaller and being of less weight would be a disadvantage.

If what I understand is true, that with a pacer that the only effort required is to get the gig up to cruising speed. Once the driver leans backwards the strain on the horse is very minimal, so being smaller would not be that big a disadvantage. To me a smaller horse is more likely to be an early type than a big gangly horse. The only disadvantage that I could see is that a smaller horse would probably have a slightly smaller length of stride.

It tickles me to think of those people that looked at top 2 & 3 year old horses such as Courage Under Fire, Smiling Shard, Captain Joy etc, as yearlings and said to themselves "nice little fella, but too small to be a good racehorse", and decided not to buy.

I believe that a few breeders were put off by Courage being small and now you hear the same comments about the fantastic pacer and now stallion Rock N Roll Heaven.

I would love to see a study made on the size of pacers and if there is any correlation between this and performance. The list of great 2 & 3 year olds above would indicate that this is not such a big deal. I would imagine that smaller horses like these would be in the minority and yet it does not stop them from being great pacers.

I would like to hear the thoughts of others on this issue !

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Love Of Courage

I was a bit bias towards the smaller stallions but as it has been pointed out to me you just select the right size mare to send to them, the horses you mention that are on the smaller side have turned out to be great racehorses. The thing i've noticed by going to the yearling sale's both Victorian and N.S.W over the last couple of year's is that a lot of the trainers and buyer's are looking to buy the big strong well built types and they are the one's that are attracting top $$$$ to me they are a bit to big, it's as if they are yearling's in 2yr old bodies already but there the one's attracting the money. So i suppose you have to way up your option's as to what stallion to use and whether you are breeding to sell at the yearling sale's and so on.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Hi Love Of Courage

I was a bit bias towards the smaller stallions but as it has been pointed out to me you just select the right size mare to send to them, the horses you mention that are on the smaller side have turned out to be great racehorses. The thing i've noticed by going to the yearling sale's both Victorian and N.S.W over the last couple of year's is that a lot of the trainers and buyer's are looking to buy the big strong well built types and they are the one's that are attracting top $$$$ to me they are a bit to big, it's as if they are yearling's in 2yr old bodies already but there the one's attracting the money. So i suppose you have to way up your option's as to what stallion to use and whether you are breeding to sell at the yearling sale's and so on.
    Baby Bling would barely be 15 hands now...

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Of Courage View Post

I would like to hear the thoughts of others on this issue !

G'day LOC,

As far as the chances of smaller horses becoming successful racehorses and latter on sires goes, I think the major factor is their stride length.
    For example, Bettor's Delight, Rock N Roll Heaven and Courage Under Fire all had a length of stride that IMO was well in excess of what you'd reasonably expect it to be for horses of their size. Racehorse wise, from memory Captain Joy is part of that crew and so is Smiling Shard as I recall.

Here's a good size story btw.

While attending the US sales many years ago it was suggested to the long since deceased Ron Croghan that he take a look at a well bred, well related Albatross filly.
    He was given to being a bit of a cranky old bugger at times so when taken to the stall, he took one look over the door, saw a small, finely built filly, grunted that she was too small and that she would never be any good...and he turned and walked away.

A bloke from Ontario by the name of Dr. J. Glen Brown must have thought she was big enough because he put his hand up, took her home & gave her to Glen Garnsey to train.
    She went on to set world records, win Horse Of The Year honours, 45 races & just under $1million and was inducted into the Canadian Harness Racing Hall Of Fame in 1986.
    Her name was Fan Hanover, the first and to date she remains the only filly ever to win The Little Brown Jug.

Ron ultimately purchased a fellow 1978 foal by Albatross, a colt named Preferred Bid. He was a very ordinary racehorse & went on to become an even more ordinary sire.
    No doubt, for those unfortunate enough enough to have encountered his stock, the mere mention of that horse's name still makes them run for the Medicine Cabinet in search of the Stematil.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Mightymo

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy a small one i'm just passing on what i've taken away from the sale's as to what people are looking for. As Baby Bling was a buy back do you think people over looked her due to her size.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    absolutely!

+ Reply to Thread