+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Federal Flex

Member Gelding EuroTrot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mario Vinci

Federal Flex

Hello
    I am a (very) little breeder from Germany. For 2016, i am interested for breeding my mare with Federal Flex. He has everything i need. Blood of Muscles Yankee and SJs Photo, a good racing career and a fine exterieur.
    But one thing bothers me. His descendants do not seem to meet expectations.
    So here my question - What are your experiences with Federal Flex and his descendants?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hopefully one of the trotting enthusiasts will get back to you Robert (My interest is pacers) but I looked up his Statistics
    He appears to have had a couple of seasons in Australia to produce 16 foals
    5 are now in their 4yo season and 11 now in their 3yo season
    Still young for trotters but so far only 7 have raced with 3 winners but only 1 good performer - Agent Maori
    He won 2 out of his only 3 two year old starts late in the season and had virtually 8 mths spell before winning of 4 of his 16 three year old starts
    His reasonable success could however be attributed to his dam as she belongs to our premier trotting family (his 5th dam his Maori Miss)

At this early point he would appear to have failed as a sire down here

As I said - hopefully one of our forums trotting enthusiast will reply to your post
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Mario Vinci
    Thank you Kevin, for the statistics. They are very similar to the European.
    For example the 4years old in Sweden. Registered 14 - started 7 -they had together 103 Starts - but only 10 first places. AND 9 of them are from one Horse "Flex Lane". FL is by far his best offspring.
    Last edited by EuroTrot; 12-23-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Member Yearling papagayo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Sturla Pettersen
    Some good (or even great) racehorses simply fail at stud for no apparent reason. He has a few weaknesses too

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hello Sturla, I really like the idea of stallions serving a few mares in between racing seasons, It is something that has not been really tried here, On the odd occasion we have had a horse that has been injured and will be out for 12 months or more or even retired due to injury that will serve a few mares and then brought back to the racetrack and tried again, I think that serving a few mares in between seasons is a great idea and an option that should be explored in the future here, We have had some fine pacers that probably could have raced on, That have been retired, It would certainly tell you if your horse would be any good at stud in the first couple of years and if the youngsters didn't show any promise, You could continue to let the stallion race on.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    What a pity that Commander Crowe is a Gelding, He certainly would have attracted lots of interest in our parts.

Real Name
    Sturla Pettersen
    No reason why stallions cannot combine racing with stud duty, it's just a matter of culture.

Why Commander Crowe - because of colors? Has Defi d'Aunou been available down under in the past?

Real Name
    Mario Vinci
    What were the weaknesses, and he has passed on to his offspring?

Real Name
    Sturla Pettersen
    Weakness" is maybe the wrong word, maybe "question marks" is more correct:

There are several conformation issues, see the Swedish examination (https://www.travsport.se/hast/visa/685159/avel, use Google translate). He is quite musculus and coarse/bigger body type, he may not be a good fit with some broodmares of similar types. This can often produce foals that are late bloomers.

He competed on Lasix (not sure if every start but at least some). For me that is not necessarily a no-no, but it raises a question mark.

He has a lot of inbred features. Sire is inbred on Speedy Crown, dam is 4x3 on Super Bowl, second dam inbred on Star's Pride. This is not a problem in itself but will limit the suitable mares

As for what he has passed on to his offspring, I cannot tell as I haven't seen a lot of them.

But as I also said above, some good racehorses fail at stud without any obvious reason (Adrian Chip is another). That's just the way genetics work

Real Name
    Mario Vinci
    Thank you for that information Sturla.
    I have a Sierra Kosmos granddaughter with a french motherline, so i thought FF with his SJs Photo blood would be a good partner. But i have him deleted, because of his offspring statistics.

+ Reply to Thread