Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Harness whip rules

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    One of the main hurdles (Warrnambool pun) for non horsey parents is costs. A property, a pony, a horse float, fuel to tow pony around.... reasons why they are non horsey. How many kids, and their parents, have been inspired and have gotten involved by seeing the pony trots? Not that I'm suggesting we don't have pony trots but I'm wondering what the figures are.
    perhaps they could start a program where everything is taken care of, all they need to do is do a training course on how to handle a pony, turn up and gear the pony up and race.

I'm not sure how many would turn up and get inspired, but if it was more attainable and there were signs around telling kids and parents it was possible, maybe there'd be more interest.

When I aged out of the ponies, a girl used to drive my pony. We provided everything, she just got him to the trots and drove him. She came from a horsie background so had a float but I'm sure the clubs could work something out with pony owners

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    My first reaction is that it is a fantastic idea Katie but then when I put my 'modern world hat' on (it is an ugly thing), I wonder about the risks and liability - sad that this even pops into my head
    Pony trots should always continue but I hear where Wayne is coming from and you would/should be evaluating there industry output. Everything should be evaluated but pony trots are one thing that should not be all about results.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Over here it's almost a prerequisite for young people wanting to become involved to go through what is called here "Kidz Kartz" on their way to a trials licence and on to the junior driver's licence. Most of the current juniors and many of our younger professional drivers driving in our races have gone through the programme. Even if you have no ties and no pony it is not an impediment to going through the program. Many of the youngsters have their own ponies, often more than one which are often made available to those who dont.

They compete often on racedays where friends and family get to view them performing and there is even a Kidz Cartz NZ and Auckland Cups. Often as sort after by the young as are the real thing.

This program is a real success story over here (NZ) getting young and new blood into the industry already with skill sets.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It sounds fantastic Tony - we let you guys take all our money and never bother to learn anything from you
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It sounds fantastic Tony - we let you guys take all our money and never bother to learn anything from you

The pony trots, having been run for 30 odd years here, have been useless compared to it's NZ counterpart Kev?
    I think I see where you're coming from "...pony trots are one thing that should not be all about results". For sure but it obviously isn't the savior of our industry. Will it be for NZ?

Running them "every Saturday night and Sunday arvo" (imagining the poor kids out at Melton or Ballarat mid Winter) would up the rate of non horsey kids maintaining significant involvement as trainers, owners, and of course drivers when they're in their 20's? But, still, I'd hope they continue for as long as our sport continues. Got to love those standing start handicaps.

The pony trots are a great thing and I notice the new General Manager of Racing has it in their portfolio but keeping those kids encouraged when they have disposable incomes is the thing. I'd measure that result.

Back to the thread:

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=33487

Whips to be retained in training.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yeah, we have probably had pony trots as long as NZ but the part I found interesting was the fact that "Even if you have no ties and no pony it is not an impediment to going through the program"
    As for the cold - before the first race at Melton tonight : we are talking about 5pm. Wayne, it is us oldies that feel the cold - not kids
    I don't know whether the aim is to keep them involved until they have disposable incomes or even that they may one day be the ones putting on the big show - maybe just having as many as possible growing up with 'harness' in their vocabulary
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Whip free racing is still going to happen but not from Sept 1 - said to be unachievable

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=33821

I wonder why that would be when down in Tassie they seemed to be making good progress 4 wks ago ( which then was still 16 weeks till the new season)

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=33574
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    If the mighty saints weren't playing tonight Kev I would whip up to Devonport races tonight and check it out but I will get some feedback this Sunday and relay some 1st hand info back to the forum. I am looking forward to seeing the "Prototype 1" secret weapon which will now be version 2.

Junior Member Foal Ray White will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray White
    Try this without whip training - loading your horse.

https://www.facebook.com/shannon.bar...8800000815900/

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Absolutely superb......would a recording of a whip cracking have the same effect?

+ Reply to Thread