Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Harness whip rules

triplev123
    We had a good racemare that was a bit laid back at times and she needed some sort of a jazz up in the prelim. in order for her to put her game face on. The trick was to wander out like it was just a training trip then catch her unaware by yelling/banging the shaft/dust sheet/wheel disk etc. Another good one was to pull up right alongside one of those thin metal sponsor's signs and give it a good solid kick or whack it with the whip. BANG! It was just like turning on a light switch. In time, when she got used to that sort of routine, we'd put her in the bike the day before a race & let her gallop flat out for as far as she wanted to go. That used to work a treat too. Changing it up on them in a race can do wonders also...as long as you let the Stewards know your intentions prior to the race, of course.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    I had a filly a few years ago who would not go unless I ran the handle of my whip along the corrugated iron fence surrounding the track. Oneday one of the young girls who used to help me took her out and when I came onto the track the girl was yelling and urging the filly to move forward. Later when the filly raced she didn't need the running of the whip along the fence but always needed urging verbally.

Junior Member Foal King will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    I dont mind the rule, but its governance is inconsistent and a shamble. No mention of G Hall Jnr hitting Our Toto no less than 20 times in the Gloucester Park straight on Friday night. How is this not excessive? That is every 7 metres on the 140 metre straight.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Anyone old enough to remember the bad old days of the cane whip will realise that the whip rules have improved immensly. I think it's just the interpretation of the rules that need some work.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild View Post
    Anyone old enough to remember the bad old days of the cane whip will realise that the whip rules have improved immensly. I think it's just the interpretation of the rules that need some work.
    I agree. The days of the cane whips were 110% animal cruelty.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Digging up an old thread here I know but some drivers whip actions appear as though they are beating the horse - just have a look at little Kerryn giving it to Gotta Go Yanky winning the 3rd at Melton tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...ic#MXM14081511

I don't think it is a good look
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Kerryn appeared to hit that horse a fair bit from the point of the corner to the finishing line, No not a good look at all Kev but to be fair, A friend pointed out that she also hit the shaft a lot.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 08-16-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    From HRV Integrity Department. 17 August 2015

Whip Use
    Drivers are not currently permitted to use the whip in a freehand manner prior to the 200m and whip use at any time within a race or trial is required to conform to the provisions set out under Rule 156(3)(b). Most importantly, a wrist and elbow flicking action is required, regardless of whether a driver crosses his / her reins to use the whip.
    At the recent Chairmen of Stewards conference, the use of the whip was discussed and some proposed Rule changes were considered. Before any implementation, these proposed Rule changes will need to be endorsed and approved by the Harness Racing Australia (HRA) Executive members, however for all drivers’ awareness, the proposed changes to the whip rules may include, but not be limited to:
    • A requirement to maintain a rein in each hand unless activating gear;
    • Not applying the whip in a continuous manner or without allowing the horse time to respond.
    Please note: These are only proposals, however further notice will be given prior to any permanent change to the current whip rules. HRV Stewards will in the interim maintain a proactive approach to ensure that drivers comply with the required whip action and furthermore that any whip use is not “excessive” in frequency or the overall number of occasions in which the whip is utilised.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have looked at that rule a few times Wayne.
    They need to leave out the elbow bit and make it simply wrist flicking action and enforce the non-continuous /allow the horse time to respond part and problem solved

ps Kerryn was fined $400 for it was her second offence in a month
    Last edited by Messenger; 08-18-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I have looked at that rule a few times Wayne.
    They need to leave out the elbow bit and make it simply wrist flicking action and enforce the non-continuous /allow the horse time to respond part and problem solved

ps Kerryn was fined $400 for it was her second offence in a month
    ....HRV Stewards will in the interim maintain a proactive approach to ensure that drivers comply with the required whip action and furthermore that any whip use is not “excessive” in frequency or the overall number of occasions in which the whip is utilised. The stewards are enforcing the rules Kev, a 'la $400 fine.

Furthermore, the proposals would help address the look? A requirement to maintain a rein in each hand unless activating gear; Not applying the whip in a continuous manner or without allowing the horse time to respond

+ Reply to Thread