Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Harness whip rules

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    It is interesting to read about Norway
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It is interesting to read about Norway
    Interesting yes, comparable...some poetic licence.

Or were you referring to this thread Kev? http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...ghlight=norway
    The whip replacement, the guiding tool to be made from Norwegian wood?
    https://www.thelocal.no/20120206/sta...rway-racetrack

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Here is a bit Norwegian Gold for all
    I don't see any guiding tools either
    Maybe Kerryn should have been one of the drivers at HRA's whip consultation this week - I notice that there are no female drivers amongst the 10 attending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC9VaulNrVU
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Political gold Kev

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 04-25-2017 at 01:17 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Ray Chaplin kindly shared this reply he received from Norway:

In Norway, the ban on using whip has been in force since the mid 70’s. Our drivers are not allowed to carry with them any form of device during the race or when warming up the horses. According to our rules and regulations all goading of the horse shall be administered gently with the lines/reins.

Also when correcting a horse which misbehaves in a manner that can pose a risk to the driver or other attendants, the drivers are dependent on using the lines/reins, in addition to their loud voice maybe. In such cases, off course, our stewards will allow a somewhat more excessive urging with the lines towards the horse.

In our opinion, there is no basis for claiming that more or more dangerous situations occur due to unruly horses as a result of the ban on using the whip.

I hope my answer was helpful to you. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need more information.

Med vennlig hilsen

Hanne Sæbø
    Sportsmedarbeider|Det Norske Travselskap
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I recently received an interesting email from Ray Chaplin of Equine Excellence about this thread, from which I have extracted the following quotes:

I wonder if HRA have done the foundation work necessary to provide them with a factual framework on which to base their efforts and more importantly their expectations

Harness racing’s viable future in Australia is at present almost totally dependant upon wagering revenue.
    Currently HRA and industry participant attention is focussed upon alternative handicapping/programming initiatives that will create larger and more evenly balanced fields in order to maximize wagering turnover and revenue
    No modelling exists that establishes the levels of increased wagering turnover and resultant revenue gains that will be needed to maintain and grow the sport into the future

Given the continuing product related declines illustrated above [ 2015/16 numbers for Mares served, Named horses plus overseas imports, Number of Starters, Number of races run - all Lowest ever] is it realistic to believe that changes to race handicapping/programming will be able to fill the ever widening gap in product availability [racing stock] necessary to generate wagering revenues required to secure the sports future - or is this focus a tactical band aid initiative that will simply slow the inevitable demise of Harness Racing at the professional level?

It is likely that the gap will be so great as to indicate that it is not feasible to expect that tactical changes to handicapping/programming/field makeup will resolve the serious threat to the viability of the sport
    If this assessment is correct it will then create an urgency to address the fundamental strategic issue the industry faces – a lack of public (customer) support
    Step 1: Whip haters are never going to be racing fans no matter what. Bring back the whip. Sport needs intensity and competitors trying to win at all costs (within the confines of the spirit of the game/sportsmanship). Losing the whip loses that.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I totally disagree with that Breno. Where is the intensity lacking in the link in post 54

In addition to that, it is a fact that most people and kids live in the cities, and IMO most of these kids - our future, would be horrified at the thought of whipping a horse.
    If drivers were only tapping horses (not that different to using the reins) it might be acceptable but despite changes to the rules, many drivers arm actions look bad

Maybe I am somewhat influenced by the fact that the best horse I was connected with would kick the driver out of the cart if he touched him with a whip
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I'm not sure about Knight Pistol exactly but most trainers say their champions had a will to win. Not many in everyday races share that will and even worse trainers describe them as non-triers. This is where the whip comes in. (Many other factors were at play in the intensity/excitement of that race and any race in fact - whip just one of many factors that come together for the final product)

People who are gobsmacked at the idea of whipping horses are generally not fans of breeding animals for human entertainment/greed. Not going to be fans anyway.

New fans don't understand negative influences of the whip on performance - social media has taught me just how naive some people are in regards to horse racing. Going to be a laughing stock for Average Joe when he watches a race and sees there are no whips.

+ Reply to Thread