Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Harness whip rules

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    I'm not sure about Knight Pistol exactly but most trainers say their champions had a will to win. Not many in everyday races share that will and even worse trainers describe them as non-triers. This is where the whip comes in. (Many other factors were at play in the intensity/excitement of that race and any race in fact - whip just one of many factors that come together for the final product)

People who are gobsmacked at the idea of whipping horses are generally not fans of breeding animals for human entertainment/greed. Not going to be fans anyway.
    I am a fan but I am not a fan of whipping horses - I am guilty of turning a blind eye at times but having just watched the Brierly Steeple I did not like the head on shot that looked like horses that were giving their all were copping plenty of stick

New fans don't understand negative influences of the whip on performance - social media has taught me just how naive some people are in regards to horse racing. Going to be a laughing stock for Average Joe when he watches a race and sees there are no whips.
    How is it then that I did not laugh at that Norwegian race (and we know that they do not have whips in any of their races)
    Times in many of races will come down and there will be horses that will not attain the grading that they would have under the old system
    Breeding will probably be affected as stallions that produce 'triers' will be in demand
    I have not heard anything about whips being banned when training so I guess trainers will be trying to train the non-triers to respond to the scream they give when using the whip at home - that does not conjure up good images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    How is it then that I did not laugh at that Norwegian race (and we know that they do not have whips in any of their races)
    Times in many of races will come down and there will be horses that will not attain the grading that they would have under the old system
    Breeding will probably be affected as stallions that produce 'triers' will be in demand
    I have not heard anything about whips being banned when training so I guess trainers will be trying to train the non-triers to respond to the scream they give when using the whip at home - that does not conjure up good images
    Quite clearly you are better than just an Average Joe Kev. A sample of facebook and twitter comments paints a different picture.
    I'm not quite sure how an argument is made for times coming down due to no whips?
    Yep - some of the whip use behind closed doors isn't pretty and will only increase now one would think.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It's a blanket ban intended here Kev, no whips in training. I don't think that's the case in Norway. One of the many many differences between Norway 1982 and Australia 2017 and even Norway 2017.
    From a business perspective comparing Norway to Australia is a big stretch. The timing of the introduction of the whip ban in Norway coincided with what amounted to Norwegian trotting having full control of animal gambling. And I believe (even now) there was virtually no competition from the thoroughbreds, if it existed at all, and there's no greyhounds.

I can't help but think introducing a total ban here, point blank, will have a damaging effect on business. Who will extend an interest free line of credit waiting for the crowds to flock and betting to boil over? Realistically what could Tabcorp have said when asked to publicly comment about whips???? And I'm sure Tabcorp has already run the numbers on a total ban on whips such as this in harness racing. Would possibly drop Tabcorp's wagering turnover by 5% but harness racing by 20%.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Wayne, they probably don't have gallops competition in Norway - it is mind boggling to think that Trotting is bigger than gallops in Europe (yes, even in France)
    If we are going with a blanket ban then we really have to push it home as a point of difference.
    Use it to capture the young - have a pony trot before the first every Saturday night and Sunday arvo
    We have to try and capture families because I agree with Ray's last sentence - the lack of public support is our biggest problem (I see the equation as >support>ownership>racing stock>turnover>support>......)

I did wonder about staggering the change ie 2018 no whips in 2yo races, in 2019 no whips in 2yo & 3yo races, 2020 no whips in 2yo, 3yo & 4yo races (which you program more of), 2021 no whips except in claimers, 2022 no whips at all.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    I wonder how many families see the ponies, would love to get their kid involved but think it's too difficult to get started. I was lucky enough to have ponies as a kid and my dad's a trainer so I did pony trots from 8-16 but families with no horse contact, perhaps they could have a recruitment day or sign up period to get non horsey people involved

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Safety Device to be trialled in Hobart next week.

Is it just me or does this new safety device designed to replace the whip suspiciously look like a whip??

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=33454

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    I wonder if it has an air bag?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I like this one but you cannot use it on cows
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by KTQ View Post
    I wonder how many families see the ponies, would love to get their kid involved but think it's too difficult to get started. I was lucky enough to have ponies as a kid and my dad's a trainer so I did pony trots from 8-16 but families with no horse contact, perhaps they could have a recruitment day or sign up period to get non horsey people involved

One of the main hurdles (Warrnambool pun) for non horsey parents is costs. A property, a pony, a horse float, fuel to tow pony around.... reasons why they are non horsey. How many kids, and their parents, have been inspired and have gotten involved by seeing the pony trots? Not that I'm suggesting we don't have pony trots but I'm wondering what the figures are.
    Last edited by arlington; 05-05-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Safety Device to be trialled in Hobart next week.

Is it just me or does this new safety device designed to replace the whip suspiciously look like a whip??

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=33454

Is the safety device illustrated a cut down whip with a blunt ended rubber sleeve over it? HRA will provide measurements and sleeve to keep costs down of having to throw a whip out and buy another?

+ Reply to Thread