Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Horsham Cup this Sunday Jan 10

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The Cup was a fantastic advertisement for Quarter horse racing!
    There was absolutely no action for the first 2100m
    It will go down as one of the most boring Cups/races EVER
    Thankfully it was too hot to go

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...ic#HSC10011601

Tell me I am wrong
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Agree
    All that money put up for the four inside horses from the front row to sprint the last half a lap for. THE RESULT 3,2,1,4.
    Driver initiative? Not evident !

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Agree Kev, bloody boring race to watch! I enjoyed watching the S.A Cup more..

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    Agree
    All that money put up for the four inside horses from the front row to sprint the last half a lap for. THE RESULT 3,2,1,4.
    Driver initiative? Not evident !
    The horses at the back were 100/1 with the best horse in the race controlling the race like he has done numerous times from the death. Corzin Terror pretty tough but he is better for a late sprint eg beat Terror To Love 12 months ago. Tell me which horse would have been better off making a move earlier being plastered 3 wide and getting a stitch besten 50m+?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    The horses at the back were 100/1 with the best horse in the race controlling the race like he has done numerous times from the death. Corzin Terror pretty tough but he is better for a late sprint eg beat Terror To Love 12 months ago. Tell me which horse would have been better off making a move earlier being plastered 3 wide and getting a stitch besten 50m+?
    Tell me it was not BORING IN CAPITALS. We have to find a way around this.
    I sometimes think we either need 1mile races for the fast action pace or 2miles races where very few drivers would have the courage to refuse challenges to the death
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Tell me it was not BORING IN CAPITALS. We have to find a way around this.
    I sometimes think we either need 1mile races for the fast action pace or 2miles races where very few drivers would have the courage to refuse challenges to the death
    I was just talking in terms of driver initiative.

It depends on how the race is run but I don't think you are to far off with the 1 mile or 2 mile racing. 1 mile the leaders only get a 400m breather so are still a bit gassed for the sprint home and brings backmarkers into it. 2 mile racing bread and butter horses would be running 34 quarters. Lot easier for backmarkers to gradually make a move in 34 quarters than 30 quarters. If the leader was to run to quick over 2 mile they would run out of petrol tickets. Bit harder for a driver to judge just how quick to go maybe?
    Mile and 3/8 racing that dominates in most of Aust the leaders get best of both worlds 1000m breather and 31 quarters that means backmarkers are near on sprinting to make ground and gas themselves.

But it is a double edged sword...make things easier for the backmarkers then what is the point of PBD or Handicap? (In general terms, Horsham was RBD).

Industry complains about too many leaders winning, which means back line horses aren't winning...but then industry complains the back line horses aren't being handicapped 20m stand start????

Senior Member Colt Beltane will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Jones
    But there is good news for the track with Horsham to benefit from $470,000 track upgrade:

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=28583

This track upgrade should result in a better spectacle of racing.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Half a million dollars - unreal. I wonder whether the 500k will bring 1 additional punter to the track or any increase in revenue? I suppose some will argue that the sprint lane might but I cannot remember seeing many hard luck stories at Horsham anyway. I would put the money towards Lights and dining facilities before any of the above (or leave Horsham as is and put the money towards improving our Big Picture exposure). I reckon racing under lights and potentially bigger crowds might be a better spectacle still Steve but a track inside a gallops track is always going to be limited from a viewing perspective. Just my opinion.

ps Looking at that Cup field again Brenno, you were right - the biggest problem was probably that there were only 5 contenders
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Another track to be ruined by a sprint lane!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Apparently not many at the meeting from what I was told.

The upgrade will improve the camber like it has at Ballarat and therefore a smoother run for horses.

+ Reply to Thread