Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Double-Sulky Races for owners and other left field ideas

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Lightbulb Double-Sulky Races for owners and other left field ideas

Forget Monte races lets accentuate our point of difference from the gallops
    Why not have double sulky races with owners partnering a registered driver
    People are into experiences nowadays and this could be the ultimate racing experience

At present we have it over the gallops for participation in that one can become a owner/trainer/driver but not everyone has the time or desire to go down that path but there would be plenty of people that would love to participate in a race if there was an easier way - why not double sulky races

To promote ownership we could make it that you have to be a registered owner to partner a driver. Of course you would have to have a Dr's clearance and to have participated in a trial or two.

In due course I could see the opportunity for sponsorship from some of our wealthier business owners who get a taste for being the sidekick in the gig

If it caught on, existing owner/trainer/drivers need not be disadvantaged as there is nothing to stop them engaging a different driver

Am I crazy?

If you have any other left field ideas post them here
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    It's a great Idea Kev!!

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    I'm in! Great idea. Put it forward to a couple of the clubs? Or perhaps go straight to the state racing bodies / HRA? The interesting part will be:
    1. insurance
    2. owners complaining about tactics post race
    3. how much information would need to be in the racebook for it (i.e. a 150kg owner vs a 50kg owner has to have some impact?)

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Good points Adam, The 150kg owner would need to be on the inside of the Double gig for sure, I reckon that myself and Wayne(Arlington) would be right as I'm in the 110kg range but it would be a bit like that old Not So Squeezy Ad that Mitsubishi trucks used to run a few years ago lol, It might make critical owners think from a different perspective if they were going around in a Double Sulky.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Good points Adam, The 150kg owner would need to be on the inside of the Double gig for sure, I reckon that myself and Wayne(Arlington) would be right as I'm in the 110kg range but it would be a bit like that old Not So Squeezy Ad that Mitsubishi trucks used to run a few years ago lol, It might make critical owners think from a different perspective if they were going around in a Double Sulky.
    LOL Rich, it might also improve the diets of some owners

I would not expect a 150kg owner to pass the medical. While all the pro drivers we have now are lightweights we do have a wide range of weights in the owner/trainer/driver ranks which are not in the racebook
    As far as insurance goes, I am sure there would be plenty of answers
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Double-Sulky Races for owners.......NO, NO, NO Kev. I suppose I'm the atypical one as usual but I have always viewed Monte Races as ridiculous thankfully we don't have them in WA. Most laymen would probably see Monte races as an oddity at best they just look silly......... Double - Sulky Races!!! I started to despair some years ago when Harness Racing Clubs started a transfiguration from horse racing to some sort of sideshow alley carnival i.e. fireworks displays, Rock bands, kids entertainment areas - no thanks. I think this idea will detract from what Harness racing should be about.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 01-26-2016 at 03:16 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You have not told me what is wrong with 2 in the cart Rod
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hey Kev, I don't know if I would have them racing each other closely but maybe something like the Individual Pursuit in Cycling would be okay.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    They are doing something close to what Kev describes with dual sulkies at Alexandra Park NZ.
    http://m.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/ne...ectid=11434208

At Bendigo for the past 12 months or more, we've been using the double sulky with a pro driver and an owner (sometimes a sponsor) who go out during the warm up for a race. It's not a race, but they are out on the track with the starters for the next race.
    Maryborough used 3 sulkies all on the track and "racing" at the Maryborough Cup meeting.

The biggest challenge is not the dual sulkies, pro drivers..they are very keen to be involved.. or the gear ( Worlds Best Hoof Oil sponsors Bendigo's rides..thanks Bruce and Margaret) it's finding suitable horses in good enough shape and quiet enough to do what is required safely. Insurance is not an issue as participants sign an indemnity.
    Highlights are that Mediatech video the dual sulky ride and we get that for the particpanys, if participants know in advance...say they win the ride in a competition, they bring friends along and there is much excitement, as its a pretty big deal to be in the sulky with Chris Alford or Greg Sugars or any of the top drivers. Can't do that with Damien Oliver or Michelle Payne !

The individual pursuit idea over 1 lap would be worth looking at, or someone suggested to me that lap prizes..like the bikes...might change boring racing patterns
    Last edited by Adaptor; 01-26-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    There's more..
    USTA run a Fantasy Camp for owners where they use the double sulkies. People pay for the 3 or 4 day experience.

ww.pennsylvaniaequestrian.com/news2012/september/Standardbred-Enthusiasts-Learn-to-Race-at-USTA-Driving-School.php

+ Reply to Thread