Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Double-Sulky Races for owners and other left field ideas

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    You have not told me what is wrong with 2 in the cart Rod
    I suppose I'm a traditionalist Kev one horse, one driver. What other quirky ideas will they come up with??
    Last edited by Richard prior; 01-27-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am a traditionalist too Rod but except for your state, the game is struggling to attract people. Of course it does not help that some states have NO metro track
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly allanjg will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    allan gee

double sulkies

i don`t think two in a sulky would work kev,the better option would be to create a special saddle that could accomodate both a rider and a sulky,the driver up front and the passenger out the back...imagine rounding the home turn looking at kate gaths or greg sugars rear end and yelling instructions.also we could add a little gismo to the saddle that could eject the sulky if the passenger became to much of a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-27-2016 at 07:27 PM. Reason: political correctness

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Very good Allan lol
    I have been waiting for a driver to tell me that it would not work (come in Nathan)
    I wonder whether a tandem sulky design (passenger behind driver) might not be better than a double sulky for safety etc
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Very good Allan lol
    I have been waiting for a driver to tell me that it would not work (come in Nathan)
    I wonder whether a tandem sulky design (passenger behind driver) might not be better than a double sulky for safety etc
    I don't think they would be for me Kev. I've never been great at taking instructions from owners. Anyway, my wife and father own the majority of mine and they tell me what to do more than I care for already. I don't think I could handle it on the track too. I think I would have pushed Allan's eject button before the first turn.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 01-28-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Nathan. It is funny how we can conjure up different pictures.
    I am picturing an owner almost too gobsmacked to breathe much less talk and instruct the pro
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Njcstables View Post
    I don't think they would be for me Kev. I've never been great at taking instructions from owners. Anyway, my wife and father own the majority of mine and they tell me what to do more than I care for already. I don't think I could handle it on the track too. I think I would have pushed Allan's eject button before the first turn.
    Lol, My wife wouldn't even make the score up before Allan's eject button was pushed, Now there's an idea!!!
    Last edited by Richard prior; 01-28-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Member Filly DRUIDRACING will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    STEVEN PILE
    Occupation
    mr fix it
    Horses
    nearly none and you can guess why
    having experienced fast work with my trainer many years ago all owners should go in these sulkies and realise what a great job the drivers do to get the horses around. Count me in.

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    I see that you ask for other left field ideas Kev!!..well Im always thinking about how we can improve participation in this great sport by the way of ownership and involvement.In most cirlcles the idea is to get young people to the track...get them interested by having good bands oncourse and such..now new information is telling us that most young people dont have very much money...most of the money about is with 40 to 60 yr olds who are both working and have the kids almost off there hands.Alot of places are springing up here where that the horsey people have someone looking after their horse and on the weekends they can go for a ride or just enjoy their horse without having 24/7 hands on involvement.We also have a wonderful movement with Standardbred Organizations providing retired horses with new opportunities in standardbred classes at shows and the like.I have put a proposal up at a recent industry meeting and Im interested to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions as well.
    So I put forward a paper expressing that I would like to see as an example a race where trainers nominate their horse for a race but that race has 2 parts to it.Of course you have the normal race as we all know it..but before that maybe a couple of hours..you have the horses entered in that race on lead or under saddle or some other stadardbred thingy where the people who say own the horse are involved.The stake would be split in half to cover each division..I think this idea has a chance to grow participation but in essence keep the sport as it is..Can you imagine say a good stake race!! pretty enticing to people who love to be involved with their horse.Well thats it..thoughts please.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It would seem that both Kevs are interested in ownership and participation.
    You would like this YouTube clip I posted elsewhere
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=VEMuLaKD9sc

The difficulty we are always going to hit is the 'punting is our lifeblood' argument.
    I wonder whether it has to be a 2 part event or whether we could have some type of event for retrained standardbreds between races
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread