Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cranbourne Cup post mortem

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Cranbourne Cup post mortem

see the following article by Cody Winnell

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=29158

Congrats to Bill and Anne

The big questions I have are:

"What has happened to Hutchy's mop of hair?" (He looks too dam respectable )

"Is it true that there was hardly anyone there for the Cranbourne Cup?"
    (When you consider the huge surrounding population that Cranbourne has to draw upon, it is a massive fail if this is true)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    "Is it true that there was hardly anyone there for the Cranbourne Cup?"
    (When you consider the huge surrounding population that Cranbourne has to draw upon, it is a massive fail if this is true)

Went down for a look Kev and no not many there. Upstairs dining look like have a few up there but not many outside compared to other years have been for a look. Can usually tell by the number of kids on the kids activities... would have been 10 tops. Not such a bad thing as my young ones very impatient!!

TAB lady (who looked very bored!) said there was a heap there for the gallops the night before so guess that took all the locals out re Saturday night.

Still was a great night and well done to Anne and Bill!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think you have possibly supplied the answer Paul - the gallops the night before may have stolen the crowd.
    I wonder whether the gallops charged to get in - thinking the Saturday being an even better night to pull a crowd (less workers fatigued) we should have been promoting free admittance in the month leading up to it (I think we charged however)

I also wonder how much we learn from these hiccups
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    I think you have possibly supplied the answer Paul - the gallops the night before may have stolen the crowd.
    I wonder whether the gallops charged to get in - thinking the Saturday being an even better night to pull a crowd (less workers fatigued) we should have been promoting free admittance in the month leading up to it (I think we charged however)

I also wonder how much we learn from these hiccups
    Cost me $30 to get in Kev!

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Hey Kev. Not complaing bout the $30 by the way. Went to watch me horse run and pay anything for that. But $30? Long drive from where we are but will keep backing up. They not enhancing themselves though..

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Hey Kev. Not complaing bout the $30 by the way. Went to watch me horse run and pay anything for that. But $30? Long drive from where we are but will keep backing up. They not enhancing themselves though..
    Hopefully you and your horse will be heading to Warragul on Easter Sunday Paul where you will be $30 better off when you get in the gate.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Cost me $30 to get in Kev!
    Was that $30 just for you Paul or for both you and Luke?

ps You would have been happy with AFL's performance
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley

Adults $15 racebook $4 apparently Kev

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It would seem to me that it is ridiculous to be charging families/couples $30+ to get into Cranbourne and ending up with nobody there (especially when Melton is free)
    Clubs have to realize (HRV's role) that attendance is IMPORTANT - we need horses to put on the show and that means owners and how many people have bought a horse without ever attending the trots?

In a growth corridor like Cranbourne we have to be going all out to recruit fans. The club would have realized quite some time ago that the gallops were on the night before so they had to promote a point of difference. I am thinking FREE entry would have been a great tool - pay for a decent size ad on the front of the local papers. Put on a show for people to come to - this is your Cup meet after all. This did not happen. I am not even interested in turnover for this one as we have to look at the bigger picture

This was a massive fail - the sooner we get a new Chairman and co for HRV, the better. Things need a real shake up

ps Surely near clashes like this one between codes is something that the Minister should be informing the governing bodies to correct
    Last edited by Messenger; 03-09-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: ps
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses

That was for my wife and I Kev. Luke and the other 2 kids got in for free. They usually have an owners thing where you get ticked off and allowed in. But didn't see one Saturday night. Maybe coz cup night.

And yes rapt with the big horse! Learning and improving all the time.

+ Reply to Thread