Thread: Breeders challenge final menangle

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    G'day Rids,

We've got 5 to go under the hammer next year, 2 being aimed at the Premium on Friday night in Sydney, 3 more for the body of the Sydney catalogue on Sunday.
    As a concept we support the Premium Sale and will continue to do so for as long as they care to conduct it... though this time around I think it should have been moved, lock stock and barrel to Sydney. I don't agree with splitting it in two. I think it is a retrograde step...but of course I am very happy to be proven wrong.
    In terms of concentrating the heavy hitters, in theory that's a fair assumption but in practice for the most part that's not what actually happens. The figures from the most recent round of sales here in Oz are testimony to that.
    In fact I sent the following piece to another forum when this very subject came up and in particular, where there was discussion over the perceived success or otherwise of last year's Premium Sale and the Sales in general.

It’s a lack of buyers for sure and that on top of the fact that the APG can only selectfor their Premium Sale based on nominations that they receive.
    There were many yearlings that sold through the main body of the catalogue in both Melbourne and Sydney that, had they been proposed for inclusion, I am sure would have walked into the Premium section no sweat...but for whatever reason their Breeders chose not to nominate them.

As I recall there were in excess of 2 dozen yearlings in the main catalogue in Melbourne and around 2 dozen yearlings in Sydney (some 45-50 or so yearlings in total) that went for tickets at or inexcess of, and a good number of those were well in excess of, $20,000.

I’m all for the concept of a Premium Sale but I think there is some tweaking to be done to get it squared away again and so attract the nominations of ...if not the entirety... then at least the vast majority of the best yearlings on offer.

In keeping with the above, we had a very nice colt to sell earlier this year but our circumstances at the time would not allow us the opportunity to get away and go to Melbourne with him. We put him up in the main body of the catalogue in Sydney and we got $31,000. That was a good price, we were thrilled of course. Had he been in the Premium in Melbourne along with the associated extra expenses involved in getting him & ourselves down there etc. I don't think he would have sold for much more/any more than that...so we made the right decision.
    Further to that, as I mentioned above, there were 40-50 other yearlings just like ours that were not nominated for the Premium section but that sold for prices of $20,000 or more. Some of their owners would have had ideological objections & made specific decisions not to nominate for the Premium section, some of them maybe didn't realise just how good their yearling was and were presently surprised and some of them were like us and couldn't spare the time away given their other committments. I think there's a lot more Breeders who find themselves in the latter group than many in the APG organisation currently realise. In the end, well bred/commerically bred, well made, well related, well presented yearlings with a swag of Stakes/Futurity eligibilities to back them up will always sell for good money.

Triple v absolutely nailed it when he said "In the end, well bred/commerically bred, well made, well related, well presented yearlings with a swag of Stakes/Futurity eligibilities to back them up will always sell for good money".

I have had yearlings sell in each of the premium sales to date, and each time i have had yearlings that were not accepted into the premium sell for more money in the Sunday sale.

If you have an absolute outstanding yearling then you may get more in the premium sale. on the other hand, those around the 20K mark often get ignored in the premium sale and so you get only 15K, whereas on the Sunday you might get 25-30K...

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Rids, the advice given above from triplev and mightymo is spot on. Their experience exactly reflects mine as well. Read both of their posts carefully and take note of their well thought out advice. You can't go wrong. Good luck.

triplev123
    It has been hard won and costly Ozninja, I'm sure Mightymo will tell you the very same. Something else I think he'll probably agree with is that over the years by & large various Industry bodies have done and continue to do a pretty lousy job when it comes down to disseminating information & advice about this and related areas.
    Mightymo has duly gotten himself involved with National moves to rectify this as have I and a good many others.
    The depth of feeling there is out there with regard to the Breeding side of the Industry was evidenced quite spectacularly by the sheer number of submissions received by the HRA Breeding Panel when they called for same earlier this year.
    I take the basic view, as does Mightymo, that if the Breeding Industry is strong overall then as a direct result we are all going to be stronger individually...both Stud Farm and Breeder, and of course that has to be a good thing.
    The crap aside, that which I freely admit a great contribution to by way of pics of Sam's shirts & so on, the value of this and of similar forums is incalcuable. I wish there was an Internet & Forums like this back in 1987/88 when I got my first broodmare. Back then, no bastard would tell me a God damned thing. It was like you were expected to be born with it all as imprinted knowledge It took me another 8-10 years or so before Brian Hancock told me to forget about only breeding my mare to stallions that were eligible for the NSW Sires Stakes (as that was the extent of my vision at the time)...and that I should look for the best horse I could possibly afford, no matter where it was standing and what the foals would be eligible for,his reasoning being that if they were good enough they'd win money, regardless. You know, that remains to this day the best, the single most valuable piece of advice that I ever got from anyone.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    I should look for the best horse I could possibly afford, no matter where it was standing and what the foals would be eligible for,his reasoning being that if they were good enough they'd win money, regardless. You know, that remains to this day the best, the single most valuable piece of advice that I ever got from anyone.
    Yes indeed , when Brian Hancock gives you advice like that it certainly means a lot. Thanks for passing that on here in the forum. I know from lots of harness buddies that although they never usually post anything in these forums (too shy or maybe think they have nothing interesting to say) that they very often read all the information and advice. Hopefully they will think carefully about Brian's words of wisdom.

+ Reply to Thread