Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Handicapping Farce

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It seems a $100k race will always be at the discretion of the selection panel.
    Thanks for all that clarification work Wayne.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    I could not find where lifetime $ was a condition of this race even going back to the original race requirements. the closest I could find to a reason was 3c1 of which there were a couple and the handicapper has used his discretion and has based it on lifetime $

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    This is probably not the right thread but currently I can't find the one I am looking for.
    The Australian Handicapping system may yet raise its ugly head as ULTIMATE MACHETE heads to WA to plunder its 4yo riches. This after smashing the NZ record for 1950 metres in yesterday's NZ FFA beating Tiger Tara after sitting outside of him (TT).

Last year I remember Piccadily Princess being balloted from some of the feature mares races over there because of her "lowly handicap rating" even though a dual G! winner. She is on the plane back to put that right this year. I mention this as I wonder if same "Low handicap rating" may affect Ultimate Machete.
    He is heading to Perth on Sunday chasing their 4yo riches with a rating of C3 M0. Again a dual G! winner.. Or will there be so few willing to take him on that his assessment will be irrelevant?

Cheers

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    This is probably not the right thread but currently I can't find the one I am looking for.
    The Australian Handicapping system may yet raise its ugly head as ULTIMATE MACHETE heads to WA to plunder its 4yo riches. This after smashing the NZ record for 1950 metres in yesterday's NZ FFA beating Tiger Tara after sitting outside of him (TT).

Last year I remember Piccadily Princess being balloted from some of the feature mares races over there because of her "lowly handicap rating" even though a dual G! winner. She is on the plane back to put that right this year. I mention this as I wonder if same "Low handicap rating" may affect Ultimate Machete.
    He is heading to Perth on Sunday chasing their 4yo riches with a rating of C3 M0. Again a dual G! winner.. Or will there be so few willing to take him on that his assessment will be irrelevant?

Cheers
    By my reckoning I have him a C6.
    First two 3yo wins didn't affect open class C rating. When he had 3rd 3yo win beating Jacks Legend 16th December that made him C1. Two more wins in December made him C3 when he came to Australia originally. Three more wins since he went back to NZ makes him C6.
    Regardless, the class rules work 99% of the time. You could put the average 3yos that won one or two 3yos straight into C1-C2 races but their race career would be shortened and thats not what anyone wants.
    You could put the likes of Aztec Bromac, Lord Zin Zan, Allblack Stride, IAmBrightside, Tee Cee Bee Macray, Messini straight into the FFAs at 4 but it only means they are running more midfields earlier in their career, so owners are paying up for good horses but not getting much in return. Takes forever to find a good horse so why not let them enjoy it. Quicker the horse starts only running midfield the quicker their career ends so let them have a few extra wins along the way - thats the reward of being a good horse. Plus we get to see good horses race more often. Quicker you race them out of their grade and they running midfield more likely they are to be lost to local industry and retired/sold. If you change the rules for Ultimate Machete you are capturing that lot as well.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Scary stuff. Early in his 4yo season he can sit in the death and run a Tk Rec to beat a seasoned 7yo like Tiger Tara
    Awesome record and to think he has run 5 seconds, never beaten far, in some massive Gp1's

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/...arch&Arg=FALSE
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread