Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Can We Make Racing (at Melton) less leader dominated (and more exciting)

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

How Can We Make Racing (at Melton) less leader dominated (and more exciting)

It is near on a procession if a good horse get to the lead at Melton. I know those stats I did a long time ago showed only 41% of leaders winning so maybe tonight is a little out of the ordinary but so far we have had leaders winning most races - it does not make for exciting viewing
    I know preferential barrier draws can help but it is not fair to do that except in multi class races (and even then it is not fair to owners to do it in Gp races)

What is it like at Menangle - do leaders dominate? I am guessing they would at Gloucester Park

Maybe if I was there on the fence it would be more exciting - maybe the broadcast vision we get now is simply not capturing the excitement?

I fear the answer is bigger tracks and longer straights

(Leader has been beaten in the last 2 races so it could end up only 55% of the night's winners depending on the last)
    Last edited by Messenger; 04-09-2016 at 01:37 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    G'day Kev,
    I don't think bigger tracks are the answer if Menangle is an indicator, the drivers have learned how to drive the track to the rules and leaders are very dominant there as well. I think the minimum time standards for leaders have played a part as the rule makes sure the horses at the back tend to stay put, as does the tendency to shorter distance races.

I really do think there should be more opportunities for horses that are drawn wide and/or on the back row to get into the race. So how does one facilitate that?

We have had a few problems maintaining our punters over the years and I think in trying to give them more certainty we are inadvertently making racing more predictable and subsequently more boring.

I know I bang on about standing starts all the time, but one thing for sure, even in the old days when horses/trainers/drivers and punters were better practiced at it, the racing was no where near as boring as it often is now.

Short races on big tracks make for fast times and that excites some people, but I'm yet to see any evidence that fast times encourage punters to invest more.....in fact I believe the opposite is true.

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

I know I bang on about standing starts all the time, but one thing for sure, even in the old days when horses/trainers/drivers and punters were better practiced at it, the racing was no where near as boring as it often is now.

Short races on big tracks make for fast times and that excites some people, but I'm yet to see any evidence that fast times encourage punters to invest more.....in fact I believe the opposite is true.
    So here is a thought from left field It is an idea I've discussed with a few over the years and most seem to think there is some merit though the costs may be too prohibitive.

Using something like the E-Trakka saddlepad (http://www.etrakka.com.au/), why couldn't a system be devised whereby horses could be handicapped behind a mobile.

Add a little semaphore pole to the saddle pad, visible to the driver so that it lights up green whilst on the correct handicap, orange if you are encroaching upon those in front of you, and red if you are seriously over and in danger of being a non-starter.

This of course assumes that most drivers are capable of estimating 10-20 metres to remain behind the horse in front of them, and a system whereby the starter can see on a screen/panel which horses may be getting in front of their handicap mark so that he can decide to proceed with the start or not.

Surely we have some tech wizards among the fraternity who would be able to nut out the technicalities to make it a workable idea.
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Reckon if that could be developed Phil it would re-enable distance handicapping. which was our only effective means of evening races through stands, I think that is most definitely worth pursuing.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Nice idea Phil.

Perhaps horses could all be handicapped in more than two rows. The horse highest assessed starts on the furthest row back and is not allowed to leave the fence until, say the 800m mark. Horses on row in front cannot leave fence until 1200m mark etc. Front row horses set the tempo in front and may hang on but will make the higher assessed horses earn the win.

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    1: GET RID OF THE SPRINT LANE
    2: more races over middle/long distances
    3: improve the handicapping system so the fields are more even

+ Reply to Thread