Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vic Tiered Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Purdon-s-dilemma

I wonder whether the C1 Pacing Major is entered for, will hold up. Nominations fast pulling out.
    I received a PM expressing the view that many/most would rather go around for half stakes than contest a race where they are only racing for second
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Not complaining about the locals being looked after but I wondered if 5,6,7 are considered worse draws than 8 (2nd line) at Ballarat?
    Or is Pacing Major 8 because he is a C0 in a C1 only

https://www.harness.org.au/fields.cf...romstate=vic#2
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Not complaining about the locals being looked after but I wondered if 5,6,7 are considered worse draws than 8 (2nd line) at Ballarat?

Hi Kev. Pacing major drew 8 because it was drawn on sex and he was the only Colt in the race hence he draws 8.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks again Nate, I knew why 1-4 drew that way (mares) but I did not realize that geldings were treated differently from colts - is that it?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes

Luck of the draw Kev. Pacing Major being a C0, in this race, doesn't come into it, and seeded preferential barrier draws are no longer used.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Some more thoughts on Tiered Racing that someone sent to me:

Tiered Racing sending the wrong message?

Looking through the tiered racing programs on the calendar the races with the reduced prizemoney are primarily targeted at the most poorly performed of low grade horses with as I expected the "conditions" of the race being the prime determinant of eligibility making the "tiered" prizemoney redundant.

These low prizemoney conditioned races may lead to a reduction in short priced favourites in that race which is desirable but how does rewarding the connections with lower prizemoney and still losing a country penalty encourage people with poorer performing horses to keep them in the game for the longer term or new connections and another trainer trying to improve them when they have the same assessment as better performed more talented horses

Seems that we have not been able to get past the racing tradition of better rewarding better performers to increasing the earnings of poorer performers in order to keep them in the racing pool. Whilst the sport of racing will always recognise and reward superior performers we are now in the era of the business of racing and that means that even the least talented of the horse pool needs to be adequately rewarded to ensure their long term contribution to the wagering pool.

Maybe a better rewarded and more comprehensive " R" tier with conditions excluding better performed horses ( only horses who haven't participated in "C" class or have established poor form in "C" class races can drop back to "R" class races) a better option then "C" class races with varying prizemoney. Win, prizemoney or speed criteria could be added to "R" class to compel the better "R" class horses to race in "C" class if their owners weren't willing to step them up themselves.

Perhaps one of the traditions of racing that needs to change in this country to reduce short priced favourites is the practice of trainers racing higher quality performers ( as evidenced by earnings and previous participation in group level events ) against lesser performed horses in "C" class races expecting to win money enroute to metro and or feature races rather then preparing through trials.

In the U.S. Stakes level horses seldom ( usually only if their form has gone off during the season so that they have become eligible) step out in "overnight " and "conditioned" races which are their bread and butter level but instead prepare using qualifiers ( trials) before stepping out straight back in stakes grade.

Some very thoughtful comments Kev. They will be passed on to HRV? As we see the results of the new system some of those proposals might be adopted.

I think the inclusion of the $5000 tier was a good move, the original system with all those R races actually seemed insulting and discouraging. Not sure if I followed the post correctly, so I'll add from Sept 1 the status quo remains in that winning an R doesn't give you a C penalty. Bearing in mind the lower class horses now race for $6375, the opportunity to step up to $5000 with the probability(?) of meeting a more even field seems ok.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Races 3 and 4 at Mildura today - a C0 and a 3C0 produced $1.04 favourites, will Tiered racing change this

https://www.harness.org.au/fields.cf...&fromstate=vic

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...L260816&ms=vic
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    It's here!!

Anyone see any value at Bendigo tonight? Looking at races 1, 2, 4 & 7.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    They're not clear cut are they? (I am no tipster)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    So far not creating less odds on but 3/4 beaten
    $1.10 (ridiculous) $1.30 (won) $1.40 $1.50
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread