Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ike Frost really the sire of Maori's Idol ?

Hybrid View

Member Yearling papagayo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Sturla Pettersen

Is Ike Frost really the sire of Maori's Idol ?

Just a question for a European trotting fan here. Been reading a bit about Maori's Idol here + watching some Youtube videos about him. Looking at his pedigree I wonder about his sire, Ike Frost. Did Ike Frost produce many trotters or was Maori's Idol an exception?

aussiebreno
    In 1977-78 his sire, Ike Frost, was voted Australia’s leading trotting sire, this was despite the fact that he had only ONE winner, Maori’s Idol who won 22 races for $63,149. That same year Delvin Dancer sired 9 individual winners! There has been much controversy over the years in regards to Ike Frost appearing as the sire of Maori’s Idol. He never sired ANY other trotter and there are many who say that Maori’s Idol is the ‘spitting image’ of another stallion who stood alongside Ike Frost, a TROTTING stallion named Bank Note! Wherever the truth may lie, the fact remains that Ike Frost is oficially listed as his sire.

http://www.harnessbred.com/great-har...ses-1960-1980/

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Interesting stuff Breno

Ike did sire a couple of other trotters in NZ - Frosty Lass who won a few and Carrao who did zip

(You would think that DNA testing of ancestors should have proven the true sire by now)
    Last edited by Messenger; 06-23-2016 at 12:03 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Ike Frost was a small 15 hand or less tall pacer. We had a son oh is named Junior Ike who struggled to make15 hands and was a chestnut.
    It's generally accepted that Bank Note, was the sire of Maoris Idol
    Ike Frost, WD Direct and Bank Note were all at the same stud..either in Euroa or Oaklands Junction when Maoris Idol he was sired.

I seem to remember that DNA testing was done in Qld...but not sure whether there was any outcome.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    When I get back to the Gap, I might contact the registrar of the Stud book - with DNA testing they should be able to determine the probability it was either stallion
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    Will watch this with interest.

Member Yearling papagayo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Sturla Pettersen
    Very interesting to read. When was Bank Note exported to Australia and did he race there? He's certainly blue blooded.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Bank Note foaled in 1954 wih first foals in 1962.
    http://www.classicfamilies.net/Horse...rseID=10001289

was a gift from Averill Harriman, (wealthy supporter of trotting in the USA, Governor of NY State, one time owner of the Arden Stable, and the historic Goshen Track) , to I thibk Joe coulter (Tuxedo) the well known trotting writer and owner of Tuxedo bookshop in Adelaide when he was on a visit to the US.
    Chris Howe was also involved, but I'm not sure how.

But Bamk Note was certainly beautifully bred , and was a full brother to 1952 Hambletonian winner Sharp Note
    He was the leading sire of trotters in Australia in seasons 1970, 71,73,74 and 75.
    Hi sired many very good trotters including Just Money, Little Interest and GardenStar. Not bad considering he sired only 144 foals in 15 years at stud.

He is found in the pedigree of current good 3yo Ball Park
    http://www.classicfamilies.net/CF/De...rseID=10001289
    Last edited by Adaptor; 06-28-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    So far I have been fortunate to receive a reply from esteemed authority John Peck that

"There was some limited testing undertaken in the 1990s using bloodtyping, however, the upshot was that there was no definitive proof that Ike Frost could be excluded as the sire, nor any definitive proof that Bank Note was the sire"
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have received the following reply from HRA's Andrew Kelly, the Keeper of the Studbook:

"Regarding the descendent genotyping of horses - our lab informs us that this is far more difficult in horses than in humans and given the current technology, costs involved and probability of an uncertain outcome, if we were to undertake this as a project, then we would be better to wait until the processes were improved (they are continually improving). On balance, we will re-visit at a later time."

So I am afraid we will all have to be patient. If I am still around I will ask again in a couple of years LOL
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread