Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Breeders Challenge day and thoughts on Menangle

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Kev, this link will give you an idea of what's planned http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/Plans...n-New-Town/Map
    Thanks Bailey, that is impressive stuff. Like I said, I have not explored to the North of Menangle but I worry whether HRNSW have made this move 10-20yrs too early
    I don't think Melton can be called a Melbourne track but it is not too far for the West of Melbourne to travel to. As for the East (and North) it is too far away and really needs a sister track no further out than Cranbourne to share top billing with it. We do not see the gallops giving up their central metro tracks
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    Hi Kevin

Click on this link and you can see the housing to the east, north and north west of Menangle. Zoom in and drag the map straight north to Oran Park, there are thousands upon thousands of homes being constructed and all within 5 to 10 minutes drive .

Regards

Mark

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    What timing - on pg7 of today's Melbourne Age newspaper there is a whole half page ad:
    People and Business Connect in Parramatta.
    It has a map showing demographic circles - 1M within 10k, 3M within 20k, 4M within 30k
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Somebody pm'd me the following:

"Harness racing had an opportunity to set up right next door in the Olympic Precinct at Homebush bay but wouldn't get on board. Tens of thousands of people living in apartments within walking distance now and twice the national consumer spending index. They also passed on going to Fairfield which is only a few ks away.

Sadly Menangle is rural and whilst development is earmarked the Menangle park development was the last of the three satellite cities earmarked by government and is at least 20 years away."
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    For anyone interested, this article has appeared on line http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...6b1f353fe41d93
    Recently the Club purchased the Historic "Menangle House" property, this property is on the corner of Menangle Road at the turn off to the track entry. Well done to the Club for the forward thinking. This is also part of the name change to "Club Menangle"
    Kev, the Menangle Park part of the development is currently undergoing sewer install and word is 2 years away not 20 years.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I received a very interesting email from Ray Chaplin suggesting that population does not necessarily translate to attendance at harness tracks.
    The tracks at Menangle and Melton have been open for 7+ yrs and we are not seeing increased attendances despite population growth of 10% and 30% already.
    Some will see it as early days but Ray points out that:

In South Australia the Salisbury area has more than doubled its population since 1973 yet attendances at Globe Derby Park have declined to levels never before seen.
    To suggest that Harness Racing Attendances will grow at Menangle and Melton due to population growth is simply not supported by facts and shows a complete lack of understanding of demographic factors and the weaknesses of the harness racing product offer.
    Even the New Meadowlands in the USA with a 7 million population within a 45 minute travelling distance and an new $US 80 million grandstand cannot attract a regular race meeting crowd.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    This obsession in building harness racing tracks in the middle of nowhere, that people refuse to visit or support, has to stop. It has cost NSW greatly with the mess at Menangle and reports out of Victoria are that they would more heaven and earth to get back to Moonee Valley and start over again

http://www.harnessbred.com/field-of-schemes/

Harold Park WAS the best racing venue IMO & Mooney Valley wasn't far behind it. The sale of Harold Park has boosted prize money but will it save the industry.......I think that starts with breeding, doesn't matter how much prize money you have if haven't got horses you haven't got racing.
    Last edited by Messenger; 10-26-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Real Name
    mark croatto
    "This obsession in building harness racing tracks in the middle of nowhere, that people refuse to visit or support, has to stop. It has cost NSW greatly with the mess at Menangle and reports out of Victoria are that they would more heaven and earth to get back to Moonee Valley and start over again..."

What has it cost NSW? There was hardly anybody going to Harold Park in the years leading up to its sale; in my opinion the location had diddly squat to do with getting people there! Lines like the above are just a convenient excuse for writers who appear to have little real insight. As I have said quite a few times, the area immediately around Menangle is home to hundreds of thousands of people, tapping into them is what is needed, not continual bleating about a non existent crowd that mythically existed.

Cheers

Real Name
    mark croatto
    Oh, and that original article goes on to make similar unsubstantiated claims about Bathurst. It's pure hearsay and simply mischievous reporting. Bathurst's memberships are UP since their move to the new track, and as someone who has raced horses there with some degree of regularity I have no doubt the average crowd is also UP on what was going to the showground. As I have inferred, that article appears simply as mischievous reporting to justify a personal agenda. Some facts would be handy rather than hearsay and bias!

Cheers

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It is clearly an opinion piece Mark and whose opinion we are not even sure but I posted it to let it be known that there is clearly an issue in Qld
    I know you are a supporter of Menangle and like Melton it has a growing population but I think it is fair to say that they are NOT metropolitan tracks that cater for the population centres of Melbourne and Sydney.
    I will believe in the strategies when I see the gallops flee the cities
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread