Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Breeders Challenge day and thoughts on Menangle

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    The gallops are not all that great an example Kevin, Randwick struggles to get mid 20,000's for Doncaster Day, the average metropolitan meetings are a fraction of what they used to be, and forget about a midweek crowd, it's negligible. As I said, the industry needs to work out how to tap into the people that are in the areas around these new tracks but constantly harping about the past, in particular when the more recent past is nothing but a myth, does little to improve the situation.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We may have been falling short at our Metro tracks - that may have been a marketing etc problem
    but there is no denying that we at least had the 'hot dog caravan' where the people were - we just had to sell them on hot dogs
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Hi Mark, I've thought about what you have said & you are correct. I remember looking across my shoulder when sitting in the stands at HP & saw no one. Last time I was at Menangle I looked over my shoulder when sitting in the stands & saw no one.
    So your comment about the position of the track meaning "diddly squat" is absolutely spot on. Menangle has been running since Jan 2011 , so they have had 5 and a half years to get the local population interested & not many are, are they?
    With the corruption issues of the past, massive amounts of positives swabs, form that doesn't stand up week in & week out, drives like we saw last week, why the hell would people be interested?
    I reckon selling hot dogs , like Kev suggests would be a lot easier than giving away harness racing for free.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Hi Mark, I've thought about what you have said & you are correct. I remember looking across my shoulder when sitting in the stands at HP & saw no one. Last time I was at Menangle I looked over my shoulder when sitting in the stands & saw no one.
    So your comment about the position of the track meaning "diddly squat" is absolutely spot on. Menangle has been running since Jan 2011 , so they have had 5 and a half years to get the local population interested & not many are, are they?
    With the corruption issues of the past, massive amounts of positives swabs, form that doesn't stand up week in & week out, drives like we saw last week, why the hell would people be interested?
    I reckon selling hot dogs , like Kev suggests would be a lot easier than giving away harness racing for free.

There was no one in the crowd at Moonee Valley either Trish. Track location means nothing, getting people interested does.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I agree that getting the people interested is the most important thing but I cannot agree that track location means nothing. If we could get the product and marketing right we are still not going to attract ¾'s of Melbourne to Melton because it is too far out.
    I have to admit to only going to MV for the races this century but went to the trots a fair bit in the 90's and the crowds were OK
    The lack of a true metro track disappoints me but as I suggested in another thread - maybe concentrating on country Vic could be just as beneficial
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    Menangle has been running since Jan 2011 , so they have had 5 and a half years to get the local population interested & not many are, are they?
    Hi Trish, sadly I agree with what you said as well. It's a big ask to overcome the troubles we have had, however we still have a number of people involved. I firmly believe that is where the initial effort has to be directed, ensuring we hang on to who we currently have, give them something to get excited about and through them slowly regrow our sport. Won't be easy but it can be done :-)

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A good read Trish but it would suggest (if you believe the author) that the sport was equally corrupt in its better days. Maybe it has been the increased reporting of misdemeanours or maybe it is just that todays generation were not brought up attending the sports events that we oldies were
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread