Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming Season - surely we all have something to talk about?

Member Gelding broco will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    cullens moose, somart, ladybird

Coming Season - surely we all have something to talk about?

What has everyone retired?
    Its coming up to a new season and everyone is silent, can't we inject a little life back into this forum?

I'll start the ball rolling don't all rush to answer.

New stud season coming up what foals does everyone have due?
    New stallions coming out, who likes which ones?
    Any other newbies doing the rumour mill rounds?
    Who's good value and who looks overpriced?
    Which of the young sires have yearlings who have broken in well and are showing early promise? Which ones seem to need a bit of time?

What does everyone think of the pepper tree stallions going to alabar?
    My big question why on earth hasn't a savvy NSW studmaster jumped on the chance to headline a top proven stallion in the state, surely such a horse would be in huge demand for those wanting youngsters for the NSW bonus racing.
    Or why don't one of the key stallion stations domicile one of their leading stallions in nsw, its an open opportunity to cash in on if you ask me.

Anyway that's a little food for thought, maybe it can actually start a conversation on here

Junior Member Yearling figgy1 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Fiona Figgest
    Horses
    In Sin City.....and far to many more..

Breeding

Yip it has been very quiet on this thread!! We have a Rock N Roll dance foal due this season, we weren't breeding this year but ended up buying a nice Betters Delight mare in foal.

We have a Betterthancheddar rising 2 gelding out of a Christian Cullen mare, he is broken in and has an amazing attitude and nature so time will tell with him, also an Art Offical rising 2 filly, an absolute natural pacer with again great attitude(was not commercial for sales so kept her) and now a rising 3 Sportswriter gelding who is very mentally mature and a real workman.

Not sending any mare to a stallion this season but I believe Roll With Joe book (nobody wanted him in his first season serves 14) may be full here in NZ and will be interesting to see Captaintreacherous book numbers.

Unfortunately for us a lot of the stallions are beyond our budget or if taking yearling to the sales are not commercial. I like Sportswriter (served 18 in first season nz) and think hes not bad value at $4500, I also like Always A Virgin but unfortunately neither of these are showing to be commercial prospects....

Even tho not breeding this season always look forward to reading the Sires Catalogue when it arrives!!

Interested to hear others experiences also....

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Wow I am really embarrassed to admit that I missed this thread - guilty of not expecting to see anything, other than on the Australia board
    It has had a good number of views so I might have to move some of the threads on the Australia board to here where they belong (that will make TeeCee happy)

We have clearly lost dozens of regular posters, I know not all of them have given the game away, so maybe I am just one of the few that does not know where everybody talks harness nowadays (I cannot believe it would be twitter and facebook as they are the stuff of 1 word, 1 line posts)

Good stuff Monique - not only have you resurrected the breeding forum, you have convinced me that all Breeding related threads should go here in future
    (TeeCee already knew )
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-21-2016 at 02:09 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Wow I am really embarrassed to admit that I missed this thread - guilty of not expecting to see anything, other than on the Australia board
    It has had a good number of views so I might have to move some of the threads on the Australia board to here where they belong (that will make TeeCee happy)

We have clearly lost dozens of regular posters, I know not all of them have given the game away, so maybe I am just one of the few that does not know where everybody talks harness nowadays (I cannot believe it would be twitter and facebook as they are the stuff of 1 word, 1 line posts)
    Hi Kevin

I applaud your efforts but unfortunately I think Twitter and Facebook is exactly where some previous posters have gone to. As you, I don't like that at all.

Regards

Mark

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    Pepper Tree Stallions

The movement of the Pepper Tree Stallions to Victoria, whilst not really being a problem for NSW breeders if they want to breed to them, does however create the feeling that from a breeding perspective the industry in not going forward in NSW. I have a major interest in five broodmares all of which are in foal to Victorian stallions. I have previously bred to Pepper Tree Stallions, but the appeal of paying on live foal swayed us to Empire last year, in particular the services to Somebeachsomewhere. Had we been required to pay up front for a discount, or on confirmation of pregnancy I think we more than likely would have gone to cheaper stallions, however the payment on live foal was too appealing for such a great stallion.

With respect to standing sires in NSW, I think the fact that in Victoria stallion nominators receive 5% of every $7,000 First Win bonus, in addition to the 5% of the winners cheque for all Vicbred heats and finals, is a big incentive to stand stallions in that state. That is not the case in NSW, where stallion nominators only receive 5% of the of the winners share of a Breeders Challenge race.

Regards

Mark

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Sportswriter is looking good, Mitch Maguire winning the WA Golden Slipper in record time. Is $4500 this upcoming season's price?
    The Safely Kept thread - Beecow's weanling/yearling photo and pedigree, by Sportswriter out of a Safely Kept - Jate Lobell mare, top work Kev! We'd have a similar breeding, Safely Kept/Classic Garry mare. The Abercrombie too far back to be of any influence? Interested to know what Beecow's filly's temperament and attitude is like?

With the new stud season just around the corner I'm looking forward to, hopefully, members like eliteblood returning to the forum.

Am also not a fan of twitter or facebook for serious discussion...not that I don't mind a bit of humour. Twitter seems a place for short sharp jabs to the kidneys.

As for the stallions leaving NSW, for me, being a Victorian (domiciled mares), it's more about the lack of competition but that might be a moot point due to demand of recent years. But then again with the syndication of stallions that could be a moot point too.

A convert to pay on live foal as well, we don't breed the numbers you're talking about Mark but that's the first question I ask even if it's not in the advertising material. I won't talk discounts as they can be different to what's advertised depending on individual business, but I'd rather forego a 10% discount and pay on live foal. As much as cash flow, for a reason, it leaves your options open if the mating hasn't resulted in success and as a small breeder I find it quite bliss full not having to dance around the fine print in service agreements regarding stallion change over etc.

No foals due this year unfortunately, definitely not through lack of trying. Who is the Bettors mare in foal to figgy1? And btw I just love that kiwi accent "yip".

Junior Member Yearling figgy1 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Fiona Figgest
    Horses
    In Sin City.....and far to many more..
    Hi Wayne,
    Yeah us kiwis have a unique vocabulary......our Betters mare is in foal to A Rock N Roll Dance, we actually bought her from one of your fellow countryman, we have only had her a few months and we bought her in foal. Her first foal is a rising 2 year old so we thought we would give her a break this season and see what her progeny end up doing. She is only a young 6 year old so plenty of time....Are you going to breed this season?

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Hi everyone, certainly very quite on the forum. Here is an update on my situation.

I have just recently sold Specialize and Socialize, which leaves me with :-

Localize (Christian Cullen - Sabilize), in foal to Art Major. Her foal will be a full sibling to Golden Goddess.
    Heavenly Bread (Rock N Roll Heaven - Localize), in foal to Art Major. This filly was injured as a yearling and was never broken.
    Ima Spicey Lombo (Pacific Fella - Sexy Lexy Whitby), in foal to Art Major. Group 1 winning mare, dam of 3 previous foals.
    Weona Beach Girl (Jennas Beach Boy - Weona Miss), NIF. A nice mare who has been a heartbreaker at stud. From 6 foals, 4 have died, 1 injured. The other one, Sanna Cruza, was a winner last month.
    Weona Miss Timed (Mach Three - Weona Beach Girl), in foal to Roll With Joe.

Localize, Heavenly Bread, Ima Spicey Lombo and possibly Weona Beach Girl will be bred to Art Major this year.
    Weona Miss Timed will probably go back to Roll With Joe.

I agree with Mark that the movement of Pepper Tree stallions to Alabar this year is not that big a deal except that it can be interpreted as an indicator that the NSW breeding industry is dying. The decision was primarily a lifestyle decision by the Vandyke family looking for a more relaxed existence.

As a broodmare owner, I would like to be paying for service fees after the foal is born but I have found the difference between positive test service fees and live foal service fees has been too large to take up that option.

It is disappointing to hear that Richard may have turned his back on breeding. It can be a very tough gig.

Junior Member Weanling Beecow will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brian Cowley
    Occupation
    Writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Interested to know what Beecow's filly's temperament and attitude is like?
    I'm not rearing her myself, Wayne, and I haven't seen her for a few months but, according to the lady who handles her daily, she has no vices. She says the filly is intelligent and has a bit of an aristocratic air. However, how she responds to a training regimen remains to be seen. Apparently, she is generally co-operative but Kaye reckons she can be a bit stubborn if she decides she doesn't want to do something. It'll be interesting to see how she breaks in in about nine months.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Croatto View Post
    Hi Kevin

I applaud your efforts but unfortunately I think Twitter and Facebook is exactly where some previous posters have gone to. As you, I don't like that at all.

Regards

Mark
    Hi Mark, just ventured onto the facebook pages for yesterday's venues Stawell and Bendigo plus had a look at HRV site.
    Stawell kept updating after every race yesterday with winners pics and got a few comments but Bendigo and HRV seem VERY quiet.
    Someone else will have to tell me about Twitter (no account) but I fear that interest in the industry is waning
    (The gallops have several busy forums)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread