Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coming Season - surely we all have something to talk about?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Beecow View Post
    I'm not rearing her myself, Wayne, and I haven't seen her for a few months but, according to the lady who handles her daily, she has no vices. She says the filly is intelligent and has a bit of an aristocratic air. However, how she responds to a training regimen remains to be seen. Apparently, she is generally co-operative but Kaye reckons she can be a bit stubborn if she decides she doesn't want to do something. It'll be interesting to see how she breaks in in about nine months.
    G'day Brian,

Thanks for letting us know. She sounds like a filly 'smiles' and looks like the match up is heading in the right direction. Aristocratic with intelligence, got to love that and I don't mind a bit of arrogance and aloofness. All the best with her.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    This thread is great reading.
    Special thanks to Fioana, Trevor and Wayne for going to the trouble of sharing their interesting stories
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Wayne never mentioned that a few years later the broodmare of his girl produced a half sister to her who won a couple of Gp1's including a sprint lane victory in the Vicbred 2yoF final which inflicted Mindarie Priddy's first ever defeat

Good luck this season
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-23-2016 at 02:59 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Hi Mark, just ventured onto the facebook pages for yesterday's venues Stawell and Bendigo plus had a look at HRV site.
    Stawell kept updating after every race yesterday with winners pics and got a few comments but Bendigo and HRV seem VERY quiet.
    Someone else will have to tell me about Twitter (no account) but I fear that interest in the industry is waning
    (The gallops have several busy forums)
    Hi Kevin

While I hardly use Facebook for my self, and don't even have a personal Twitter account, I do us both forms of social media for the Goulburn Harness Racing Club (Goulburn Facebook and Goulburn Twitter) . It's my experience that in NSW many of the industry participants are on Facebook and it is simply a case of befriending any one of them to see the activity that goes on. In Victoria it seems to me that Twitter is the more favoured form. If you happen to open up a Twitter account start following people like Brett Coffey, Shannon Nixon, Harvey Kaplan or Andy Gath and you will quickly see the extent of discussion that goes on there. As I said, I don't personally like it because you can't really elaborate your point, but you're doing a great job here and I think we can keep this form going. What I would say, is that if you are judging the interest in the industry on the basis of this forum, then you will quickly change your view if you were to jump into Twitter in particular.

Regards

Mark

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    Twitter is a great immediate forum for harness racing, particularly those interested in punting. Plenty of heated debate!! Marks list of people to follow is a great one. Chris Barsby and Garrick Knight are another couple that often post interesting information.
    Personally I have a mare in foal to Betterthancheddar and another in to Mcardle this season. Very excited to see how the Cheddars hit the ground this season. My mare left her first winner this season and its flying at the moment so gives me some hope!
    Have a couple of yearlings ready to come back in for their third prep at the moment and both have barely put a foot wrong. With foals hitting the ground, new stallions arriving, and rising 2yos starting to show their stuff, we're coming into my favourite part of the year.
    Personally I'm not overly excited about any new stallions this year. For a Reason will (hopefully) draw a lot more attention this year. I remember viewing him up at Jamberoo as a yearling and I still have that photo saved in an old phone somewhere. He was incredible to look at. And his goals have hit the ground running. Unlucky to only have three winners with numerous place getters, some many times over!
    The increase of stallions being available only by frozen semen leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Not only does it increase insemination costs, but means more of our money just flows out of our industry, overseas.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Hi everyone, certainly very quite on the forum. Here is an update on my situation.

I have just recently sold Specialize and Socialize, which leaves me with :-

Localize (Christian Cullen - Sabilize), in foal to Art Major. Her foal will be a full sibling to Golden Goddess.
    Heavenly Bread (Rock N Roll Heaven - Localize), in foal to Art Major. This filly was injured as a yearling and was never broken.
    Ima Spicey Lombo (Pacific Fella - Sexy Lexy Whitby), in foal to Art Major. Group 1 winning mare, dam of 3 previous foals.
    Weona Beach Girl (Jennas Beach Boy - Weona Miss), NIF. A nice mare who has been a heartbreaker at stud. From 6 foals, 4 have died, 1 injured. The other one, Sanna Cruza, was a winner last month.
    Weona Miss Timed (Mach Three - Weona Beach Girl), in foal to Roll With Joe.

Localize, Heavenly Bread, Ima Spicey Lombo and possibly Weona Beach Girl will be bred to Art Major this year.
    Weona Miss Timed will probably go back to Roll With Joe.

I agree with Mark that the movement of Pepper Tree stallions to Alabar this year is not that big a deal except that it can be interpreted as an indicator that the NSW breeding industry is dying. The decision was primarily a lifestyle decision by the Vandyke family looking for a more relaxed existence.

As a broodmare owner, I would like to be paying for service fees after the foal is born but I have found the difference between positive test service fees and live foal service fees has been too large to take up that option.

It is disappointing to hear that Richard may have turned his back on breeding. It can be a very tough gig.
    Congratulations Trevor on another win to Sanna Cruza at Shep tonight - a $20 winner. GL with Weona Beach Girl this season

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...ic#SPC22071610
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Yes, Sanna Cruza won well and looks like she will be quite a nice filly. If typical of the family she will get better and better as she gets older.
    It is very pleasing as Weona Beach Girl is the only mare that we have left from Weona Jewel's family and, as mentioned yesterday, her breeding career has been horrific.

Member Yearling Jimbob will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Wyborn
    Occupation
    Business Owner
    Horses
    Margaret Jean,Tascott Lady
    We have two due this season. Western Terror from a Armbro Operative mare and a Pet rock from a Fully Loaded mare which we leased as the owners could not afford/didn't want to to breed from her this time around. This Season we are hopeful of getting our trotting mare in foal to Skyvalley and Milady Operative going to Pet Rock again or A Rocknroll Dance.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Croatto View Post
    Hi Kevin

While I hardly use Facebook for my self, and don't even have a personal Twitter account, I do us both forms of social media for the Goulburn Harness Racing Club (Goulburn Facebook and Goulburn Twitter) . It's my experience that in NSW many of the industry participants are on Facebook and it is simply a case of befriending any one of them to see the activity that goes on. In Victoria it seems to me that Twitter is the more favoured form. If you happen to open up a Twitter account start following people like Brett Coffey, Shannon Nixon, Harvey Kaplan or Andy Gath and you will quickly see the extent of discussion that goes on there. As I said, I don't personally like it because you can't really elaborate your point, but you're doing a great job here and I think we can keep this form going. What I would say, is that if you are judging the interest in the industry on the basis of this forum, then you will quickly change your view if you were to jump into Twitter in particular.

Regards

Mark
    I see what you mean Mark. Bloody miserable day so parked in front of TV racing and Sky keep referring to Andy Gath's twitter!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Carribean Blaster x Motu Rubies n Satin.jpg
    We have a Caribbean Blaster yearling that is gorgeous - big and strong and the absolute boss of the ones in with her. Always needs to be at the front and in your face. Out of a small (but well bred) bay mare in the Motu line. She's an odd colour, born grey and is now a grey/black kind of colour with a white foot and blaze so have no idea where she gets her colour from. With so many in a paddock together, it's hard to really focus on the others as she is always up front trying to get pats.

We have a bunch of well bred ones so hopefully we'll have some winners in amongst them.

CaptainTreacherous does look interesting based on his second dam being the mother of Worldly Beauty but I don't know if there's much else there breeding wise so maybe CaptainTreacherous and Worldly Beauty were flukes. Follow The Stars looks ok for a cheapie.

+ Reply to Thread