Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stawell Today

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    I have never been to Stawell track and have always wondered about the slow times there, even the track records are not that flash.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It was always regarded as a tight little track and therefore not a preferred/regular venue for all stables but the track was upgraded this year and the banked bends should not worry any horse now so maybe things will slowly change.
    A 3yo holds the track record at present and give it a while and some good horses at the venue and like Warragul saw, I think the Tk Rec will fall by a second to about 1.55 which is not shabby for an 800m track.
    The gale blowing today along with some lopsided fields saw the MR's the slowest I can remember for some time
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Interesting activity where they gave away two homebrew kids especially on Fathers day. Did the 2 kids eventually find their way back to their original fathers? Watch this space.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Although 'not for profit', Stawell is a profitable well run club and last time I went I noticed the lounge/bistro makeover and today even more

Starting at the front entrance - the brick front fence that hid the place (and made it look a bit like a school) has gone

Half the undercover area outside the bistro has had a nice large viewing deck installed - helping flatten it out and giving it the feel of a sports bar BUT it could be so much better

I have chosen this image (excuse poor quality) as it shows the deck from inside the bistro
    That lattice just had to be cables or glass so that people sitting on the deck and even in the bistro can still see the track or at least part of it. It is only cheap plastic stuff so rip it off and get one of the above

You cannot really see it in the pic but the top of the railing/lattice is a 200+mm surface that people who sit on the stools (sorry missed them in this angle shot) can put their drinks etc on
    The problem is how this has been installed. You know how it is when you sit at a breakfast bench and there is not enough room for your knees because there is not enough overhang, well that is what we have here. It is totally fixable because although we only have 30mm of overhang on the deck side, they got it back the front and we have 150mm of overhang on the other side! It isn't a fancy timber bench top but even so much of it may be reusable as all they have to do is rotate it 180° and put the 150mm of overhang on the stools side

One other thing is the fact that there is piece of black steel sloping from the black deck to the shaded bistro entrance (as the deck is a little higher than the bistro floor). It needs some immediate Yellow Safety tape or paintwork for if you forget it is there or are wearing Sunnies - you could do a header into the glass doors

Really Good improvements Stawell but let's make it great
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    One other thing is that there is obviously something planned for the infield
    It is essential that this is nothing high enough to even partly obscure the view of the track in the back straight and bottom bend
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    There used to be a drive-in theatre in the middle of the Stawell track with the screen on the outside of the bottom turn.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yeah I think there is pic of that at the club, maybe even the big pic in the passage on the way to the bistro toilets
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Stawell in the news for doing their own version of the Great Southern Star but for pacers
    2 heats and a Final all on Good Friday
    I am not sure about the conditions - they seem to be rewarding mediocre to the nth degree

five years and older who have not won more than three lifetime races (and none in their most recent five starts). Preference in field selection will be given to horses with the highest number of starts since their last victory.

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...-gets-the-nod/

It is a strange coincidence that it is to be called the Pleasant Creek Plate as I stopped at the Historic marker of where Stawell first sprang up on my way home from Stawell trots on Monday (it is a couple of km west from the current site, down the Halls Gap Rd)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I hope Stawell's meeting today is not in danger. They had 17mm yesterday (mostly overnight) and the rain seems to be hanging over the area rather thant moving on but with only a mm falling every 2hrs you would hope they should be right
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread