Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2016 Breeders Crown

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the stewards make of Lauren Tritton's drive in R6
    Stewards report

Matthew Craven, driver of Big Gun Johnny, was found guilty of a charge issued under Rule 165(1)(b) which states: from the start through the first turn until reaching the next straight a driver shall not move the driver’s horse towards the inside running line unless the rear of the driver’s sulky is at least 1 metre clear of the extended from legs of the horse racing in the next position closer to the inside running line. The particulars of the charge being that racing to and passing the winning post shortly after the start, Mr Craven permitted Big Gun Johnny to shift inwards in an attempt to obtain the lead, when not sufficiently clear of Tingira Beach, resulting in that colt being tightened for racing room and being positioned inside the line of marker pegs, before galloping some distance thereafter. In assessing penalty stewards took into account Mr Craven’s clear recent record in relation to similar matters, that the incident occurred racing into the first turn which generally carries a greater penalty, the relevant rule and charge issued in this instance and the consequential effects of this incident. Mr Craven’s licence to drive in races was suspended for a period of 3 weeks to commence midnight 30 August 2016 and he was also fined $500...
    Near the 1300m Scooterwillrev, which was racing in the position three back on the marker peg line, was inconvenienced as the pace eased slightly and after that gelding hung out, Tingira Beach which was over-racing, made contact with the near side sulky wheel of Scooterwillrev causing Tingira Beach to gallop, which in turn resulted in San Domino, which was following, being checked with that colt racing inside the line of marker pegs and pacing roughly and in turn Wardan Express being checked. In view of the pace easing and the racing manners of Scooterwillrev and Tingira Beach which contributed to this incident, no further action was deemed necessary.

In the last six weeks there's been significant interference to highly favoured runners by professional A Grade drivers resulting in suspensions in two Group One's, a Group Two and a Metropolitan Final. Not to forget the mental and physical injuries sustained to valuable young horses....and to think there is a need to impose further restrictions on B Grade drivers competing in country front races at Melton to prevent tarnishing of the brand? http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=30766

I would be more concerned at the impact of placing further restrictions on participation when participation numbers are dwindling, remembering that a great number of B Grade drivers are breeders and owners.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I reckon I see a horse take the lead in the way BGJ did at every meeting I watch because I marvel at how close they cut it - I sometimes think the 'crossed' driver contributes by knowing when they are beat (it's a bit like the old Holden Precision Driving Team)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I reckon I see a horse take the lead in the way BGJ did at every meeting I watch because I marvel at how close they cut it - I sometimes think the 'crossed' driver contributes by knowing when they are beat (it's a bit like the old Holden Precision Driving Team)

I wouldn't debate your observations Kev but you will notice most drivers take a cursory glance down toward the other horses legs before they actually cross when it's that close and competitive. Perhaps on occasion a driver might be, say, 800mm clear but if you have at least taken a look and don't interfere and/or the other driver hasn't had to take evasive action the stewards mightn't get the tape measure out.

I take your point where a driver that doesn't hand up could be seen to contribute but, especially in this case, a major Gp1, the favourite and driver with a history of leading with the advantage going into the turn and unlikely be able to do the swapsies in getting the lead back from the 100/1 shot, they're entitled to hold their ground rather than potentially end up 3 pegs or worse at Melton...behind the 100/1 shot. And I think with juvenile racing rules that give young horses room are important.

Member Yearling Jimbob will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Wyborn
    Occupation
    Business Owner
    Horses
    Margaret Jean,Tascott Lady
    It wasn't as bad as what Lauren did in an Inter Dominion final a few years ago. but was pretty bad from a punters point of view. 3 weeks is a soft penalty for taking out the raging hot favorite in a group one event IMO.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
    It wasn't as bad as what Lauren did in an Inter Dominion final a few years ago. but was pretty bad from a punters point of view. 3 weeks is a soft penalty for taking out the raging hot favorite in a group one event IMO.
    It would only be 3wks because he did not take out the favourite
    I would love to see synchronized vision of the head on and side on views. I think there is a chance that he does not appear to be past her because she has poked up inside him by going inside the markers. When a horse is in the lead it is often half a cart away from the pegs not scraping them and I think Lauren may have seen this as a chance to keep the lead albeit by going inside the markers. No doubt Craven is not a metre clear but if they start enforcing that interpretation (not saying they shouldn't) then there will be a lot of suspensions if drivers do not adjust.
    I guess her record has me fearing she gets 'white line fever' in the big races
    Im Victorious connections could be excused for sensing karma
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread