Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Fixing Arrests over Airborne Magic's Cobram win

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    WOW - the requirement of licensed harness people to answer stewards WILL NOT hold up in Court

http://news.sheppnews.com.au/2017/11...ence-objection
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    It's all happening. That may dramatically change any current enquiries and court proceedings around the land. It has set a precedent in law.

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    With HRV all about protecting the image, reckon they would have looked at the Echuca meeting last night through gritted teeth.
    Three of the four, once court was adjourned must have got in the car and headed straight to Echuca for drives.
    Rather ironic that Nathan Jack drove the first race winner. Mark Pitt also had a win and Lisa Bartley was unluckily beaten on a short priced favorite.
    I know they've been driving but for this to happen now I must say I had a good chuckle to myself.

Member Filly DRUIDRACING will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    STEVEN PILE
    Occupation
    mr fix it
    Horses
    nearly none and you can guess why
    joke....dream....wake me up am i hearing this !!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by DRUIDRACING View Post
    joke....dream....wake me up am i hearing this !!
    The 5th Amendment is live and well in the harness industry - at least in a court of law

ps There is also no 'self-regulation' in our ranks either as none of the accused seem to be missing out on drives
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I had an interesting email from someone who knows infinitely more about these matters than me, suggesting the police should not have been relying on evidence gathered by HRV
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I had an interesting email from someone who knows infinitely more about these matters than me, suggesting the police should not have been relying on evidence gathered by HRV
    I would like to think and hope that police and prosecutors know what they can and can't use (but maybe not ) so must have their own reasons for using it surely?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think we will find they stuffed up this time
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I think the Cobram Four might have a bit in common with the proverbial Werribee ducks going by today's proceedings (from tomorrow's Herald Sun):

"A HARNESS racing identity was caught in secret police tapes discussing a race-fixing sting that allegedly netted his mates thousands of dollars.

Experienced trainer-driver Mark Pitt stands accused of corrupting the betting outcome of a race in Cobram in June 2015 after allegedly colluding with champion driver Nathan Jack to manipulate the racing position of their horses.

Fellow racing figures Amanda Turnbull and Lisa Bartley — both of whom were in relationships with the accused drivers — are also facing corruption charges.

All have pleaded not guilty.

The court heard on Wednesday that Mr Pitt admitted he rigged a race in which he won with horse Airbornemagic after overtaking Mr Jack’s horse Tooram Lad on the final straight during a race in Cobram.

Secret police recordings played during the Shepparton Magistrates’ Court hearing on Wednesday revealed Mr Pitt and Mr Jack discussing the alleged plot.

“(There is) no proof you or I fixed the race,” Mr Jack said during a phone call on August 23 last year played in court.

The recording was played to Mr Pitt during a police interview hours after the quartet were dramatically arrested at a race meet in Melton last year.

“He (Mr Jack) said he would lead and I would follow. He said let it run fast,” Mr Pitt told a police recording which was played to court.

Harness Racing Victoria’s integrity unit initiated an inquiry into the “Cobram Crew” after becoming suspicious of various elements of the race including betting patterns.

The night before the race betting odds on Airbornemagic plummeted from $32 to $4.60 after a series of bets were placed within hours of each other.

The Herald Sun has previously reported as much as $30,000 was won on the race by figures connected to participants.

The racing figures also stand accused of secretly training Airbornemagic at stables with better strength-building equipment.

Police allege the racehorse, owned by Ms Bartley’s father, had been rehoused at Mr Jack and Ms Turnbull’s stables and that HRV were not consulted.

Failure to do so can result in inflated betting odds.

During police interview, Ms Bartley said: “Dad isn’t as high a level trainer as Nathan and Amanda.”

“Dad only trains slow horses.”

The “Cobram Crew” were charged following a large-scale probe by the Victoria Police sporting integrity intelligence unit.

During the police interview played to the court, Mr Pitt admitted to tipping off his girlfriend, Ms Bartley.

Police allege she and Ms Turnbull each pocketed more than $2200 from the win.

Text messages exchanged between Mr Pitt and Ms Bartley, revealed in court, appear to show they were monitoring the odds on the horse leading up to the race.

Pitt wrote: “Metro (nickname for Airbornemagic) is at $15 now,” the court heard.

In another text Ms Turnbull asked, “Did you tell Nathan to bet for you?” to which Mr Pitt replied “yep”.

Pitt told police he denies collecting more than his $250 rider’s fee for the race.

The hearing continues."

All that is bad in the sport is in this report for the world to see. The needy and the greedy!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks for the details Trevor
    Apologies from me for suggesting the police/prosecutors 'stuffed up' - they had more than just HRV evidence
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread