Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Odds On Favourites under the VIC tiered system 2016-17

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    The last at Melton tonight is an example of what I had hoped the tiered system might reduce
    A 4yo who won about $150k as a 2 & 3yo going around in a $3,500 race - they are figuring "why not win $1,750 instead of going around in a trial"...

Probably not a bad result considering the title of the thread, $1.30 and only won by half a head.
    At least we've reduced the number of well performed NZ 3yo purchases resuming in Vic in a "trial" at $1.04 against R0's.
    Was she a late nom, I couldn't imagine others would have scratched just because she was in the original noms...would there have been more noms when extended if she wasn't there..but why weren't there more noms in the first place?
    I have a bit of a soft spot for fillies returning from age/same sex racing but with R racing what criteria would you use? PBD points wouldn't work across the board as some horses have only earned good points in R races without winning and would find it hard to get a good draw.

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Hi David,

I'd like to look into the issue you have raised (i.e. fast class horses being able to drop back
    into lower grade races mainly interstate).

Try Major Secret 3rd and 22nd December in a couple of cups in Hobart and Launceston for starters, anyone who tries to tell me that the the horses major secret raced against are FFA horses has rocks in their head. I have other examples but I should not have to go into each and every specific race where this type of farce occurs. Just a couple of examples should suffice to know there is a problem there even though administrators disagree with me. Once again these mismatches are glossed over with promotion about increased betting , yeah right...one big punter puts $20k on the favourite to win and ...hey presto...our wagering is up for the month of December...Everyone gets a pat on the back. If you need to know more, check out a couple of the posts, post #61 is a good example of the input of people on the forum who know more about racing than me, there are 3 good points in that post which have relevance to the point I raised.

regards Pat

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by djgood View Post
    restricted races should all be reverse handicapped lowest points to highest Preferential draw to lowest points , inform horses have plenty of races to chose from and to put them for a easy kill and stifles the betting,
    The trouble with the lowest points first option is that it only works if there are more noms than the field size limit. If only 8 enter all will get a run and the top horse could have 20 more points than the rest of the field.
    Maybe it could be based on prize money won in the past 12 months. The tiered system is not reducing the amount of short priced favorites or producing more even fields.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It is over 6 weeks until that meet Kyle - maybe HRV can think of some incentive to encourage trainers. $1k to the leading trainer of the day?
    56 acceptors at Warragul today with 29 of those local. Almost indentical program in four weeks against Melton. But also what about drivers who may not be able to cross town in traffic from one meet to another?

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Drifting a bit here but I know the stands have been eliminated in Victoria but that style of racing made sure that horses were handicapped correctly most of the time. Stand racing is still used widely in Tasmania especially at Devonport and Burnie. If you want to race there you better be prepared to make sure your horse can stand start, handle a small track and be prepared to be off at least 30 metres if you have a good racing record or expecting to get an easy win against lower graded horses.

Prizemoney has been lifted to $8100 per race as of Jan 1 this year at most meetings although there are only 2 meetings a week. Just dont tell the kiwis or any of the good trainers in Vic or NSW although Stewart/ Alford and co have already conducted a few raids much to my disgust.

As per Ricks comments, I feel there are too many loopholes in the newer systems such as points etc, some bright spark thought all that crap up so that no one can follow it. Glad I am not a trainer so that I dont have to go through all that to get a horse a start especially if you have to race against horses that are miles better than yours but you have to accept it just so that your horse can get a race.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It certainly does not appear to be good programming. Ideally it should be moved but very unlikely now. As big a gap between Warragul's last and Melton's first may help gain a runner maybe
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The Melton Quaddie paid $2.60 tonight

$1.40, $1.10, $1.30, $1.04

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...&fromstate=vic
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Perhaps you should start a record low multi leg divvie Kev.
    Perhaps not... That could be difficult to beat.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Still too many $1.10, $1.30, $1.40 pops going around

We even had a $1.30 favourite (beaten) in VIC's first 2yo race tonight

Is it because our pools are small or do we have more than our share of mug punters?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Foal Exhilarator will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    John Hallam
    Please don't refer to a tiered system in Victoria because it doesn't exist.Instead we have a bastardised system that does not work.Im convinced if a proper tier system was introduced all would work much better

+ Reply to Thread