Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Odds On Favourites under the VIC tiered system 2016-17

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    There are 3 meetings down here Melbourne Cup day. Yarra Glen (their biggest meeting for year people wise) has $5k and $7k races programmed...44 total nominations for meet. Swan Hill that night has $5K and $7K races programmed...43 total nominations for meet. Cobram has a NON TAB meeting programmed that day... all $3.5K races... 61 nominations. Would have thought Yarra Glen closer to most than Cobram and prize money higher. Something not quite working?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Melbourne Cup day has been a big one for YV trots and I thought YV were being very clever scheduling their own Harness cup 2 days later on Oaks Day this year so that they could just leave everything set up. Maybe this has impacted noms or maybe it is just consistent with the trend of late
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Maybe if we get more punters and more turnover the horses will just magically appear?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Maybe if we get more punters and more turnover the horses will just magically appear?
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We had another $1.10 fav tonight at Mildura and thankfully this one won
    It could only happen in our code however
    The horse sent out $1.10 fav had had 16 starts and never won
    Sure it had finished second or third 6 times but that does not scream $1.10 certainty
    It was down in class and the $3,500 C0 tier worked for him
    (It was also the first run for a new stable)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    2 months down (I don't know whether I can be bothered continuing my db)

212 of 470 races or 45.1% have had an Odds On fav

123 or 58% of them have been <$1.70

60% have won - $40% have lost

78 or 37% of them have been $7k races
    They have been spread fairly evenly across the classes

Melton has produced 33 of them but Shep is only one behind on 32

Brent Lilley has had an incredible 18 or 8.5% of them followed by
    David Aiken 14
    Emma Stewart 13
    Andy Gath 13
    Geoff Webster 10

So these 5 trainers have produced nearly a third (32%) of them
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    How wrong is it (contrary to the aims of the tiered system) for Eljaykay Phoenix, the winner of 14 races and $241,957 to be plundering the TR1-2 for $1750 at Melton tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...ic#MXC21111605
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    As I thought all along, the new system is just a way of covering up a huge stake money cut. Every meeting has less overall prize money than under the old system. The small country clubs have been hit the hardest. Even Melton seems to be down. What are they doing with the money ? Paying for Melton ? Where has it gone ?
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    As I thought all along, the new system is just a way of covering up a huge stake money cut. Every meeting has less overall prize money than under the old system. The small country clubs have been hit the hardest. Even Melton seems to be down. What are they doing with the money ? Paying for Melton ? Where has it gone ?
    I totally agree with you Rick. I have not posted on this topic before at the risk of sounding negative or critical. As owners and breeders there is a noticeable reduction in prizemoney offered. Under the new tiered racing system horses now lose a Country penalty for a win in a $5000 race. The minimum C0 penalty race was previously $6500. The winning owner in a $5000 race receives 87.5% of $2700 ( approx $2350) . This barely covers monthly training fees , vets and extras. There are a multitude of restrictions on nominations and once you have a win it is extremely difficult to place your horse. HRV should be encouraging nice horses to progress through their classes not restricting / hindering them. Prizemoney payments back to last are also factored into the prizemoney disribution for a full field. What happens to this money in the frequent smaller fields? It would appear that the full prizemoney for a race is often not being paid out.
    There is a flow on effect to breeders bonuses as well.
    Monte races have prizemoney of $5000 yet the winner does not and has never received a penalty. ??? The Monte at the recent Tricodes meeting at Cranbourne was a disgrace and would have been viewed with ridicule by the thoroughbred participants looking on.
    HRV have announced a $25,000 bonus for the Country Cups King . Last season the King was Yankee Rockstar . His owners received 87.5% of his cups winnings if $127,000. As part owners we were rapt to receive this recognition and an award for the Rockstar's efforts. I do not believe an extra $25,000 in addition to prizemoney is warranted. This money could be used to fund an increase for 12 Country penalty races from $5000 to $7000.
    I very rarely bet. HRV 's priority appears to be the punter. Punters have a multitude of choices when investing their money and I would presume very little loyalty. I acknowledge an owners and breeders bias and a love for the animal that I breed and own. However, if owners and breeders cannot at least break even there is no future in the industry.
    It would be interesting to view the prizemoney stats for the first 3 months of this season compared to last year. HRV??

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Hi Anne - everyone is entitled to an opinion. From personal experience often if it is critical people don't like to hear it (and will probably let you know about it). But we all can't agree with the decisions "they" make in the industry all the time!

As owners/breeders of juveniles would you agree that it is difficult to "sell" the ownership experience to newcomers via the sales when their first win at 2/3 might be for $5000?

Should all 2YO/3YO events over the first six months of season be for 7000 - then once the "good" ones come to the top they can go onto to feature events, while those that don't make the cut can gain some consolation money among like horses in 5000 events. And the Homegrown series could be staged at end of season with restrictions so that horses that earned say less than $25,000 for the season get an exclusive go at these dollars, so connections might push on with them.

Priority has been the punter over an extended period - in some ways correct as the punt $$ do fund the stakes, like a wheel though in which one aspect spins into another.

But all aspects need to be healthy to assist one another. People won't punt without the horses etc etc.

While the concept of tiered racing definitely has merit - is it the levels of money (and returns) and the conditions that need the work? Would two tiers say of $4500 (restricted penalty) and $9000 (country penalty) be better?

That way you effectively have two "tiers" of like horses - and with one meeting a week entirely of $4500 races you could effectively create a circuit of just those, that might be able to compete year round at that level competitively, with the occasional step up to the higher grade for those that are in form. These races could be handicapped purely on R assessment once horses have enough R form behind them, not on overall lifetime assessment.

But if you race competitively in the 9000 level you are not allowed to drop down to 4k for an easy kill unless you have so many "outs" in a row.

So many ideas out there - not a job I would like to have trying to get it right!

+ Reply to Thread