In the 1994 Hindsight Annual volume 2.
Mr Ken Dyer published an article: Globe Derby Some New Information On His Early Days.
There's always been some conjecture around when Globe Derby was first named and what that name was.

It was generally thought that Globe Derby was unnamed before his first race start on the 29th May 1914.
Mr. Dyer's research showed that Globe Derby was in fact know by that name prior to starting his racing career under the name Cyril C.

Having done some research on Globe Derby myself, here's a Time line from the Newspapers of the day.
That will hopefully add a little more to his early days, and answer some of the mystery surrounded his name.

20 Mar 1913 Globe Derby awarded 2nd place at the Sydney Royal Easter Show for Trotting or Pacing Stallions 2yrs and under 3yrs.

22 Mar 1913 A horse by the name of Globe Derby appears for sale in the Melbourne Age newspaper.

29 Jun 1913 It's reported in the Australian Trotting Record that Mr. James Brennan of Perth will visit New South Wales to purchase Globe Derby.

20 Aug 1913 Mr. James Brennnan while at the Blair Athol Stud purchased the Stallion Desire from D.Hastie, Globe Derby was unsold.

15 Aug 1913 Globe Derby advertised by D.Hastie of the Blair Athol Stud Farm, Temora as a Stud-Book Trotter to stand that season.

26 Sep 1913 Globe Derby awarded first place at the Temora Show for Trotting Stallions registered in the Stud Book.

Globe Derby is registered in the Australian Stud Book for Trotters Volume Three published in 1916 with the registration number 265.
Volume Two of the Stud Book published in 1911 closed with the last registered number 249.
Making Globe Derby the 16th stallion registered by the Royal Agricultural Society of New South Wales after the close of volume 2 of the Stud Book.
Volume 3 lists stallions numbers 250 to346 in chronological order indicating that Globe Derby would've been registered as a stallion well before 1914.

10 Mar 1914 Globe Derby nominated for the Ladies Bracelet race at Cootamundra on the 17th March over 9 furlongs.

26 Mar 1914 Globe Derby nominated for a 9 furlong race at Cootamundra on the 1st April.

I think the fact that James Brennan was aware of Globe Derby in 1913 and looking to purchase him shows how well known the horse was at the time.
As for the horse named Globe Derby appearing for sale in Melbourne in March 1913 "I've got no idea".

If your a bit of history buff like me, hopefully you'll find the information of interest.

Cheers
Trev.