Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prizemoney - when $5000 is really only $4480

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Prizemoney - when $5000 is really only $4480

Everybody else probably already knew this but it just dawned on me tonight that with paying prizemoney so far down, when the fields are small - the advertised stake is not actually paid out.

My heading refers to R5 at Bendigo as an example. Because there was only 6 starters and the distribution is calculated on 10, the payout was only $4480 not $5000 - that is a 10% saving

No doubt, when the sums are done at the end of the season it will simply state what is actually paid out but with a high requirement of 10 starters it just strikes me that we are often not racing for what we actually state we are. It does not effect the winners % (which is generally half for $3500 races and an increasing % the higher the stakes) nor the % for any other runner but I wondered whether the unpaid amount when fields are small could not be split between 2nd and 3rd or some other scheme

With the largest race at Bendigo tonight being a field of 9, not one race paid out what it claims its stakemoney is

Nitpicking?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Hey Kev,

I think there are treatments for insomnia.

Take it as a bonus that you only need to beat a handful of runners home in order to get prizemoney rather than needing to beat a full field home. Also generally lower turnover which is where the majority of prizemoney is generated from.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Hey Kev,

I think there are treatments for insomnia.

Take it as a bonus that you only need to beat a handful of runners home in order to get prizemoney rather than needing to beat a full field home. Also generally lower turnover which is where the majority of prizemoney is generated from.
    Insomnia? It was still early!

You don't have to worry about getting prizemoney for 6-10th all get the same anyway.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Perhaps over the course of a season it all balances out...for example when a ninth race gets programmed because of extra noms or, under the current arrangements, a $7000 race may get divided to cover a $5000 race that might get deleted. So the money might not get given away on that specific Bendigo meet, but perhaps at Shep three months later.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Final Results - Race 1 PENRITH 2 October 2008
    CLUB PACEWAY PACE Race code: PDC02100809 Stakes: $5,000 Gait: PACERS Class: C4 To C6. 1,720 METRES MOBILE STARTPl

Expln1BEE JAY GEM $3,375 Sr17J F TappM J Reese (C,cl)$ 14.90 BL 5 BAY GELDING 7 by STONERIDGE SCOOTER USA out of SMOOTH GEM

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE...................................NOT A LOT, OH WELL $100.....BUT THE WINNER WAS GETTING MORE BACK IN 2008

Final Results - Race 1 PENRITH 6 October 2016
    CRANKY AT THE CRICKET PACE Race code: PEC06101604 Stakes: $5,100 Gait: PACERS Class: Pacers 2,125 METRES MOBILE STARTPl HorsePrize-

Expln1TUAS DELIGHT NZ $3,000 Fr11K J PizzutoC R Bell $ 1.30 fav PRBT SWAB BL 2 BAY GELDING 4 by BETTORS DELIGHT USA out of TUAPEKA POCKET (NZ)

Last edited by trish; 10-10-2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added

+ Reply to Thread