http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...dling-fan-base

It was Stawell trots yesterday and despite being in town on a beautiful day I did not even go. It seems relevant to the above article/plea

It is this time of the year that I am sorely tempted to cross to the dark side (the gallopers)
I even analyse why it is that I am a harness follower
I think a large part of it is wanting to relive the excitement that the sport provided when I was a young boy/man attending the Showgrounds and after that Moonee Valley to some extent or going to Kilmore day meets with a group of mates when we should really have been in lectures

Maybe if I lived close enough to Melton I would be able to recreate the feeling for the couple of times I have been I have been impressed.
Maybe if I started punting again but I cannot really see that happening as it seems like hard work - not unlike the monitoring of the share market that I am required to do thanks to taking early retirement. Playing poker torneys seems to have replaced punting in the last 20yrs for me as the form/game does not change and I find it relaxing and good value for my dollar
I am actually more likely to punt on a galloper as the ones you spot to follow generally offer far more value than harness equivalents

There is so much offered to the gallops follower and because they are king pin it is presented in entertaining 'no rush' manner. It is like following AFL - you can gorge to your hearts content. The papers are full of it, there are forums galore (not as important mind you when you can get your fill elsewhere) and wonderful magazine type programs like Bred To Win etc etc

Owning one again could be exciting but it does not really make $ense and yet if I was to win one of those Powerball jackpots that I occasionally have a crack at - I would have a little broodmare stud in no time LOL

I have heaps of harness racing books and only two gallops books but I have had them in the past and sold them when I have come and gone from the sport

There were only 6 races at Stawell again yesterday - not that that was why I did not go - it simply was NOT a MUST do

I fear for our sport. I fear for my soul - lest the gallopers take it this time