Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Victorian Country Cups circuit 2016

Member Filly codywinnell will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Not having been to Swan Hill track and somehow I did not pick it up until watching In The Gig but the trots track is miles away from the people.
    Good luck converting newbs when our horses are even further away than the gallopers.
    If we cannot utilize the excitement an actual trots venue offers then we may as well race on the gallopers grass

The grass cup in NZ at the weekend was a good spectacle. I've always personally quite liked trots on the grass. Wasn't that long ago we had the grass track c/ship at the Valley. Would be interested in hearing what trainers/drivers on the forum thought about grass-track trots.

One of the key selling points for our sport is the proximity of our fans to the action, so it is a hurdle that clubs and the industry face.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    One of the key selling points for our sport is the proximity of our fans to the action, so it is a hurdle that clubs and the industry face.

Good point ..

Kilmore, Cranbourne, Swan Hill and the now defunct Traralgon tracks all separate the action and the patrons from each other by a long distamce. Moonee Valley did the same.

One of the features of Lords Raceway at Bendigo is the closeness of the horses circling adjacent to the winning post before moving up to the mobile for a start.
    The other is the lawn along the straight which we hope will be packed with picknicking families on upcoming features: Anniverasy and Heatcote Cups Night on December 2, and The now Friday night Petstock Bendigo Cup and Aldebaran Park Maori Mile on February 17.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Same with us Noel, and especially so on a half mile track.

One country gallops club in a non harness area put forward a proposal for a grass harness race, but I am not sure if this will happen. Shame as it would have been much needed exposure for our sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post

Good point ..

Kilmore, Cranbourne, Swan Hill and the now defunct Traralgon tracks all separate the action and the patrons from each other by a long distamce. Moonee Valley did the same.

One of the features of Lords Raceway at Bendigo is the closeness of the horses circling adjacent to the winning post before moving up to the mobile for a start.
    The other is the lawn along the straight which we hope will be packed with picknicking families on upcoming features: Anniverasy and Heatcote Cups Night on December 2, and The now Friday night Petstock Bendigo Cup and Aldebaran Park Maori Mile on February 17.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You can add Horsham and Yarra Valley to the list that race inside gallops tracks. I never found the viewing too bad at Yarra Valley as, a bit like Moonee Valley, they have a super stand. You cannot beat the purpose built tracks but they vary a lot too eg you feel much closer to the horses at Stawell than at Hamilton - not only in the back str but also the home str
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think Maryborough would be happy with their Cup field for Sunday after attracting several good horses

https://www.harness.org.au/fields.cf...romstate=vic#8
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Comparing the turnover for this year's Swan Hill Cup with last year's is interesting.
    Last year we had Flamming Flutter $2.80 fav in the SS event
    This year we had Hector JJ $1.40 fav in the Mob event

The Win&Place held $64k last year (48+18)
    The Win&Place held $30k this year (22+8)

The total Cup turnover (not including doubles or Quad) was
    This year $91k
    Last year $100k

Not as big a difference as you may have feared after looking at those Win&Place figures

The reason was the First Four
    This year's $43k
    Last year $11k

A mind boggling difference. Was there a guaranteed amount for the First 4 this year?
    There was no carry-over jackpot
    I have seen big First Four pools with Odds On favs before
    The $43k this year was nearly 48% of total turnover on the race
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Ohoka Punter is Odds On and Yankee Rockstar $4 in the early fixed market for today's Maryborough Cup but there are Six other runners under $18
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Jimbob will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Wyborn
    Occupation
    Business Owner
    Horses
    Margaret Jean,Tascott Lady
    Go Yankee Rockstar! The market should tighten up, come race time!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Doesn't JA have a share in the Rockstar?

Early races selected using ascending order is ordinary on a Cup day program IMO
    Last edited by Messenger; 10-23-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly codywinnell will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    If Ohoka starts odds-on he'll be starting too short. I've got him top pick but more of a $2.6 chance. Yankee Rockstar a huge danger. Also reckon Smudge Bromac is crazy overs at 100-1.

Kevin, on your first 4 notes few posts above, as I said, trots punters react differently to gallops punters. That race had first 4 written all over it. I got it several times and so did just about every trots aficionado I spoke to. It wasn't very hard admittedly. But just because there's an odds-on favourite dominating the market doesn't mean there is no chance for punters to make an earn on the punt. It's about educating punters who think it's $1.5 each-way or nothing else to see they can play a $3 first 4 or trifecta and still have a great chance of making money IMO.

+ Reply to Thread