Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Short meetings. Small Fields. Lack of Nominations

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Short meetings. Small Fields. Lack of Nominations

I know this is another negative sounding thread but I feel that we have to highlight (lowlight) the dire straits we seem to be in.

Noms have closed for Bendigo next Tuesday and they have only garnered 33 at this point

T1 = 3 noms
    3yo = 2
    Clm = 7
    C0 = 3
    C1 = 7
    C2 = 6
    C5 = 5
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Kev , when you have meetings that are cancelled for the reason below then I reckon the industry IS in dire straights.

Harness Racing SA ‏@HarnessRacingSA 24h24 hours ago
    Please be advised the meeting scheduled for Globe Derby Park this Friday October 21 has been cancelled due to lack of nominations.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have been sent a rumour that could also explain SA's predicament - that trainers/drivers are considering strike action over a new fee slug
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Bendigo have done well to end up with 59 starters for a 7 race program but with 9 of them having a commitment between now and then this could come down.

https://www.harness.org.au/fields.cf...&fromstate=vic
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Bendigo have done well to end up with 59 starters for a 7 race program but with 9 of them having a commitment between now and then this could come down.

https://www.harness.org.au/fields.cf...&fromstate=vic
    We are happy with that Kev
    It's the Bendigo Jockey Club Cup, and a public holiday the next day (Wednesday, October26) so we are trying to get a nice crowd by putting up a $500 incentive,

Bendigo Trots are next on Tuesday Night 25th Oct, Each person who pays $10 entry gets a race free book and goes into the draw to win
    $500 cash.
    You can start with a bank at the Bendigo Cup.
    Its a great way to start to the public holiday on Wednesday 26th and the Bendigo Jockey Club Cup... see you at Lord's Raceway..

I

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Massive competition from the gallops today but always a massive crowd at YV on cup day BUT how bad are the TAB pools
    Especially compared to Swan Hill's meeting tonight.
    The first at Swan Hill tonight despite being a good hour after the last at Flemington still held more in all the pools than the first 5 races at YV!

I hope YV's cup meeting on Oaks Day does not suffer a similar fate
    Last edited by Messenger; 11-02-2016 at 12:28 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    This could go in any number of threads on here...

There is a very strong likelihood that the number of meetings run in Victoria will be cut from July 1 2017, to combat the small fields issue that has hit the sport here. Extra races would likely be programmed at meets (example instead of running two six races cards in one day, one 10 race meeting would be programmed)

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Have you seen the recent fields for Maitland? Goodness me. 10 races 11 in every field, maybe they should transfer some of Menangles mid weekers to Maitland or Newcastle or Tamworth for that matter. I damned sure they wouldn't knock the prizemoney back either.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    This could go in any number of threads on here...

There is a very strong likelihood that the number of meetings run in Victoria will be cut from July 1 2017, to combat the small fields issue that has hit the sport here. Extra races would likely be programmed at meets (example instead of running two six races cards in one day, one 10 race meeting would be programmed)
    This would be a massive acknowledgment that we are in SERIOUS trouble

A pm from a valued poster has prompted to think VIC should drop Tiered Racing ASAP - it has achieved ZIP and maybe it is contributing to the decline
    Last edited by Messenger; 12-24-2016 at 08:53 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Not sure it is a new problem Kev, the suggestion that tiered racing hasn't helped could certainly be a factor but a number of people have left the sport over an extended period for various reasons.

It is a complex problem to try and address, I know that much.

+ Reply to Thread