Thread: Prizemoney for Group Racing

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    I think maybe the problem is the prize money dictates whether it is Grp1, 2, or 3. Not sure where I got that information from? Apologies if it is incorrect

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    At the other end of the scale - it seems somewhat ridiculous that a 2yo race (Menangle Sat.) in which more than half the field are first starters is a Gp2 $51k race
    I know a couple of them have nice siblings but ideally we want Gp races contested by horses that have proven themselves to be Gp quality.
    I guess the problem could be that it is too early in the season to be having Gp 2yo races

https://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm?mc=PC180217#8

I know a couple of them have nice siblings... Does that mean anything at all Kev?

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    I think maybe the problem is the prize money dictates whether it is Grp1, 2, or 3. Not sure where I got that information from? Apologies if it is incorrect
    The prize money does dictate the classification of the race as a group or listed event. In Australia for pacing events $25k to $29.9k = Listed Event, $30k to $49.9k = Group 3, $50k to $99.9k = Group 2, and $100k upwards = Group 1.

The full details can be read here http://www.harness.org.au/hra/feature/gr_glines.pdf

Cheers

Mark

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    I know a couple of them have nice siblings... Does that mean anything at all Kev?
    I was thinking along the lines of the gallops really Wayne, sometimes they have a big 2yo race that attract the top echelon from their sales, some of whom are first starters
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I would suggest the decision to put these horses in a Gp2 first up are decisions based on what they been showing on the training track, not their breeding.
    Even the 3yo fillies - I would think Royal Story had Oaks plans even before her trial wins.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    I would suggest the decision to put these horses in a Gp2 first up are decisions based on what they been showing on the training track, not their breeding.
    Even the 3yo fillies - I would think Royal Story had Oaks plans even before her trial wins.
    True Breno, the big $ 2yo gallops races I was thinking of would have had first starters entered on the basis of what they had shown at home
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Well Divine State made it a Gp2 I will not forget for a long time. He has virtually run the same time as Hector did in the Gp1 FFA and taken half a second off Lettucerockthem's 2yo Australasian Record and it is only February!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    From 1 January 2023, the minimum dollar thresholds for group races will be increased as follows:

The minimum prizemoney for Group 1 races to be $150,000 for Pacers (from $100,000) and $75,000 for Trotters (from $50,000);
    The minimum prizemoney for Group 2 races to be $75,000 for Pacers (from $50,000) and $50,000 for Trotters (from $30,000);
    The minimum prizemoney for Group 3 races to be $50,000 for Pacers (from $30,000) and $30,000 for Trotters (from $20,000).

A major basis for the change is to have Group status available for predominantly open races only. Meaning races that with restricted eligibility will only allowed Listed status. Restricted races include: yearling sale races, races restricted by rating, earnings and races that are heats and consolations.

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=50882
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You can see why we need the above increases (and more). Although I am very much for getting rid of $4,500 races we have to have races that justify high sale prices
    A case in point. Bondi Lockdown (first invite to the Rising Sun on July 9) has won three Gp1's (plus a 2nd) plus won a Gp3 and been placed in other Group races
    And yet he has only won $329k so far
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The Ainsworth tonight is a good field but should it be a Gp1 seeing as though it is essentially a consolation for the MM?
    Mind you it will have to have an increase to $150k to remain one next year

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...22#PCM05032203
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread