Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Smoken Up Hearing

Junior Member Yearling doubled123 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    unless trigger is referring to the swab 'pot' or bottles or testing facility contaminating the swab -

i'd have to agree with aquilq; SU has to lose race - but should be interesting to see what trigger is reffering to a few days time

Banned 2YO ringman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    surely nobody is suggesting that lance would gear his horses up ,its been going on for years in harness racing so why stop now the penalties in the south of Australia are very leanient

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Anyone heard any news?

Found this re yesterday but nothing re todays part of it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/...s-drug-testing

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    why didn't nz prosecutor simply find out how long it takes for dmso to enter the skin, enter the blood stream, be taken out by the kidneys and enter urine

now compare that to the time between the horse running the race and being swabbed

and thus you have ruled out contamination and justice is served

Junior Member Foal nom de guerre will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    by the sounds of it that would have been worked out easily if the pre-race had not been thrown away according to one artical from this morning?

Sounds like the horse and trainer were clean to me and some one has stuffed up.

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by thesushitrain View Post
    why didn't nz prosecutor simply find out how long it takes for dmso to enter the skin, enter the blood stream, be taken out by the kidneys and enter urine

now compare that to the time between the horse running the race and being swabbed

and thus you have ruled out contamination and justice is served
    G'day TST,

Mate, I'm here to tell you that it absorbs so quickly it would take about 1- 2 seconds & I think that's the basis of the contamination defence and because it needs to be proven beyond reasonable doubt it is a very plausible one given the nature & properties of the chemical.
    If you're keen to try an experiment & you're fond of a combination of rotten egg/garlic & a touch of past their use by date oysters... then stick your finger in the stuff & you'll almost instantaneously taste it in your mouth. I kid you not. It is lightning in a bottle in that respect and that is also why it is such an excellent substance for carrying various theraputics deep into a horse's tissue, sinew & bone. I reckon it's a fair chance to go through lead.
    One very highly significant point that was raised by HRNZ's Chief Vet, Andrew Grierson, seems to have been skipped over in the post match analysis here. The actual quantity/level present in any such test is very significant. 'but he believed DMSO would need to be directly applied for it to return such high levels'.
    Andrew is absolutely, 100% correct there. For mine, common sense dictates that an overtly large amount/high level detected would be very inconsistent with trace levels produced by contamination (see Opium Poppy seeds in Lucern Hay periodically being found responsible for the production of very low level Morphine positives down in TAS)
    Last edited by triplev123; 08-24-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Real Name
    Unknown
    i understand it enters the blood quickly..but this was a urine sample, and the kidneys are not going to instantly get the DMSO into the urine

ie, i understand its about an hour for alcohol

triplev123
    True, it might take a little while, how much is open to speculation, however it's not just the blood that it rolls into. DMSO is rapidly and very extensively spread throughout the entire body. Excretion of un-metabolised DMSO in the urine can account for anywhere between 20% and as much as 70% of the original dose, the balance having been reduced to its metabolite, which I think is dimethylsulfide.
    That being the case, based on whatever the specific level detected was, you'd think it would not be a great chore for much, much shaper minds than mine to back-track from there and work out an approximate range of what the orginal dose was...a large amount indicating an intentional administration....or a small amount suggesting it was contamination based.

Real Name
    Unknown
    which is why the 'it was only just over the threshold' statement is ridiculous, the swab is only what is detected in the urine, not in the entire body

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by thesushitrain View Post
    which is why the 'it was only just over the threshold' statement is ridiculous, the swab is only what is detected in the urine, not in the entire body
    [VVV] Depends entirely on what the threshold is. I don't happen to know what it is. Do you?

+ Reply to Thread