Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Leeton Breeders Plate Debate

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    2007 was the year of EI therefore prize money was less and no one could travel. There were only 28 pay up to nominate for the race initially. The November nomination fee probably limits its number a little. Anyway I got one to cheer for, god give it speed!!
    Of course the year of EI

Good luck Grant
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    2006 heats 18 entries for $ 31,000 final. 2007 heats 14 entries for $ 15,000 final.
    $31,000 of 2006 worth about same as $ 40,000 today yet still only 18 runners. It is the time of year.
    I agree that it would be the major reason Breno but fewer and fewer bred is eventually going to hurt
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    The drop off of this race is due to an evolution of the breed in Australia. When every man and his dog was able to breed one to the stallion around the corner, everyone got in and seen what their horse had. Foal numbers were bigger because it was easier to breed a competitive one. With the influx of American speed, high service fees to imported stallions, means people don't want to "push" their young horses along. No one will breed to a local stallion in the area because the resultant foal simply will not compete with the Bettors or Art majors of this world.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    The drop off of this race is due to an evolution of the breed in Australia. When every man and his dog was able to breed one to the stallion around the corner, everyone got in and seen what their horse had. Foal numbers were bigger because it was easier to breed a competitive one. With the influx of American speed, high service fees to imported stallions, means people don't want to "push" their young horses along. No one will breed to a local stallion in the area because the resultant foal simply will not compete with the Bettors or Art majors of this world.

And who can afford those stallions year after year when you only break even or sadly for so so many get smashed with other stallions not up to the caliber of the top stallions at the yearling sales.
    Last edited by trish; 12-23-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Wished I could have got my 2 yo into a "run of the mill" race worth $40,000.I can see the point about not many up and running at that stage but obviously the owners have a fair bit of money over that way. Especially only 2 heats and only 2 horses have actually raced which indicates fields that aren't strong, there are also a fair few group 1 winners in the paddock waiting for their moment of glory by the sound of it !!!! How many Group 1 races are there? Give me early money in the bank any day.

Real Name
    Grant Train
    You must nominate for the Breeders Plate by November 1 Pat, with a $250 nomination fee. It's a fee I've paid a few times, twice this year but I'll only be having my first starter this year. Money is enticing, but for someone who only breeds one or two, having a horse that will run sub 2mins let alone in December/January is tough. The favourite has already banked a 57 mile to his name hard held and has scared off a few. The 40k doesn't look as great for your first starter if you can't see the first past the post finish cause your horse is still coming around the home bend!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    Wished I could have got my 2 yo into a "run of the mill" race worth $40,000.I can see the point about not many up and running at that stage but obviously the owners have a fair bit of money over that way. Especially only 2 heats and only 2 horses have actually raced which indicates fields that aren't strong, there are also a fair few group 1 winners in the paddock waiting for their moment of glory by the sound of it !!!! How many Group 1 races are there? Give me early money in the bank any day.
    The run of the mill races are the few thousand dollar C front races scheduled December, January, Feb heck even March that do not stand up due to lack of noms. Why have your horse up for one race when there are not any other races to go in.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It is fair money worth targeting if you have an early maturer and there is nothing wrong with just 2 races for a 2yo's first campaign
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It is fair money worth targeting if you have an early maturer and there is nothing wrong with just 2 races for a 2yo's first campaign
    You still need to have your horse up fit enough this early in the season to race let alone back up in a week when it is 40 degree heat and they have been running 2minutes in the finals lately. When there are races March-Aug that will stand up every week or worth $100,000+ if you do have a good one it is little wonder trainers aren't pushing them and prefer to wait.

Real Name
    Grant Train
    It is a night meeting Brenno. Most trainers who travel significant distances stay for the week. The number of trainers doing that is less and less though. The race has previously carried bonus prizes such as a new float to the winning trainer. This still hasn't increased the numbers in any significant way.
    The way I look at it though, if your horse can roll along ok, it's an easier 40k to target than running second in the Breeders Crown.

+ Reply to Thread