Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
I know the club did not want to clash with Junee. Tried their best to avoid it. They never wanted a change of date. The shortened two year old season and HRNSW forced it upon them and that will have ramifications for years to come. The true effect won't be known for five years. People will breed later, I know I'm still considering getting one in foal now because it won't matter. Previously I'd never breed now.

As for setting the horses for group ones, that's everyone's pipe dream. But should the 2yo season be structured so one horse can flow through it and win everything? Is having regional series with large financial benefits a bad thing? I don't think so. And I think here is where our opinion differs. I dread the day when Tritons or the like bring their teams of imported kiwis and spank everyone, going around at $1.20. D Jack may have one going around at $1.20 this year though, I'm aware of that! Traditionally the Breeders Plate provides a fantastic performance punting spectacle. Does it matter so much that there is only two heats? I do remember watching an interdominion heat with two horses. The final will be a full field, small track, big crowd for $40k. Seems ok by me!
The $6000 C races don't stand up here in NSW because there is the stigma of 2yos racing that you seem to also buy into. Victoria seem to always be able to get a few C clad races up and going every year. This shortening the season won't fix that problem. All it does is minimize the time frame people have to win their races. A horse can have a small setback and the be forced to miss three months and then bang, 2yo season is done. Foal numbers are the biggest issue. Field sizes across NSW, have been a serious issue over the past few months. Hobby Breeders aren't propping up the foal numbers the way they have in the past, say twenty years ago, and the studs can't turn a profit selling the ones they breed every year.
Whether you and I agree with the stigma doesn't matter. What matters is the stigma is there and that is why the Leeton Breeders Plate staged in December doesn't attract many runners.
As I said in my first post, foal numbers is an issue for the sport in general, but for the Leeton Breeders Plate specifically the issue is the time of year.