Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why is the SA Pacing Cup a group 1 Event?

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Never really heard of a grand circuit race in any sport where the quality of place getters diminishes the value. What is the value then and how is that measured? The winner still gets the prizemoney, the crowds still turn up and betting ring is full, what else is there?
    My original point was to compare the Fremantle cup to the SA pacing cup and the field in the SA pacing was weak but this doesn't always have to be the case-The three non "grand circuit"states are also isolated from Sydney and Melbourne , this may be one feeble reason being used i.e distance but I doubt it. But not having all states involved in the "grand circuit" at least for a few more years is a bit ridiculous.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    Never really heard of a grand circuit race in any sport where the quality of place getters diminishes the value. What is the value then and how is that measured? The winner still gets the prizemoney, the crowds still turn up and betting ring is full, what else is there?
    My original point was to compare the Fremantle cup to the SA pacing cup and the field in the SA pacing was weak but this doesn't always have to be the case-The three non "grand circuit"states are also isolated from Sydney and Melbourne , this may be one feeble reason being used i.e distance but I doubt it. But not having all states involved in the "grand circuit" at least for a few more years is a bit ridiculous.
    I wasn't going to mention it but the prizemoney is $100,000. Lowest on the grand circuit is $ 250,000.
    Did the crowds fill up, was the betting ring full? Anyway those things can happen at country meets so irrelevant.
    The placegetters do diminish the value. The Grand Circuit is about the best of the best all coming together to battle to see who is the best of the absolute stars of the sport, not 1 or 2 of the best coming together. The winner of the Miracle Mile, ID, Vic Cup, NZ Cup etc all beat a way superior field to that of the SA Cup, Tas Cup, Truer Memorial so its only fair the winners of those superior races get special mention as grand circuit winners. The SA Cup is still a Gp1 so I don't really see an issue.

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    [QUOTE=aussiebreno;49334] The Grand Circuit is about the best of the best all coming together to battle to see who is the best of the absolute stars of the sport, not 1 or 2 of the best coming together. The winner of the Miracle Mile, ID, Vic Cup, NZ Cup etc all beat a way superior field to that of the SA Cup, Tas Cup, Truer Memorial so its only fair the winners of those superior races get special mention as grand circuit winners.QUOTE]
    Neither should the WA Cup be called a Grand Circuit race either. It and the Freo Cup last week are nothing more than glorified local free-for-alls. 11 horses are racing in both of them. Only Franco Nelson is not and he pulled up sore last week. No interstate visitors. The prize money for these races is way over the top. They could be two $50,000 races and get the same field. OK make them $100,000 and call them Group 1 but Grand Circuit no way. No best of the best here.

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    Brilliantly said Stephen,there must be something not quite right when 750000 for 2 races cannot attract 1 interstate or Nz group horse. That's serious money! A better spread of that money might be more useful.having said that they are always great races to watch.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    [QUOTE=thepacingman;49336]
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    The Grand Circuit is about the best of the best all coming together to battle to see who is the best of the absolute stars of the sport, not 1 or 2 of the best coming together. The winner of the Miracle Mile, ID, Vic Cup, NZ Cup etc all beat a way superior field to that of the SA Cup, Tas Cup, Truer Memorial so its only fair the winners of those superior races get special mention as grand circuit winners.QUOTE]
    Neither should the WA Cup be called a Grand Circuit race either. It and the Freo Cup last week are nothing more than glorified local free-for-alls. 11 horses are racing in both of them. Only Franco Nelson is not and he pulled up sore last week. No interstate visitors. The prize money for these races is way over the top. They could be two $50,000 races and get the same field. OK make them $100,000 and call them Group 1 but Grand Circuit no way. No best of the best here.
    The WA Pacing Cup not being called a Grand Circuit race? - unbelievable. Australia's oldest continuosly run Harness Racing event won by many great champions over many years - no more needs to be said. As for Queensland racing your major races are made up of many ex NSW horses who are finding it difficult to win in their home state and of the local brigade they wouldn't warrant a start in the WA Cup. Queensland, South Australian harness racing is in a moribund state and in a few more years the coup de grace will be delivered leaving the only three viable harness racing states left.
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-12-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Max View Post
    Brilliantly said Stephen,there must be something not quite right when 750000 for 2 races cannot attract 1 interstate or Nz group horse. That's serious money! A better spread of that money might be more useful.having said that they are always great races to watch.
    I don't know if you were on this forum a few years ago Ross when I was saying exactly the same thing. With all the money available at Gloucester Park over the ID period extending into the WA and Fremantle Cups seriously big money matched by nowhere else in Australia or New Zealand so why are there no interstate or NZ performers? is that WA Harness Racing's fault? - No. I'll tell you the reason, unless you have horses the calibre of Lennytheshark or HectorJayJay you haven't got much chance of winning against the locals that is what keeps them away.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 01-12-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Max View Post
    There is a side benefit however - WA money staying in WA
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    I'd say it's because it's a huge ass long flight to WA, and there are few flights as it is. It's a long expensive way to go if you draw bad, particularly on a track like GP.

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    Quote Originally Posted by KTQ View Post
    I'd say it's because it's a huge ass long flight to WA, and there are few flights as it is. It's a long expensive way to go if you draw bad, particularly on a track like GP.
    Both true.
    Add to that the few flights there are, always a chance to be cancelled at short notice.
    Over many years I've always laughed at the number of interstate horses who head west and then end up with the visitor's draw. Conspiracy theorists would have a field day.
    I reckon the Sandgropers are still gnawing their teeth today over Jofess drawing the pole.

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Stephen that was cruel and nasty about Jofess

But on a more serious note, the excuses being trotted out about bad draws at GP , flights too long, too much money allocated for prizemoney, unreliable flights etc etc are laughable. If you have got a good FFA horse you will take them anywhere to win some money to pay your bills and have a few quiet ones on the front porch.

What happens when there are no more big races or decent money in the weaker states- do you abandon them? There seems to be a lot of short sightedness going on under the guise of "grand circuits" "decentralisation", "merger"s etc by selfish big spenders or so called big spenders in NSW and Vic who continually whinge. You yourselves will be eventually squeezed out by those above you with more money in their pockets. Remember that there are about 4 good Australian bred FFA horses in the land, the rest of the top horses are kiwi's and they will keep on coming and keep winning the big races. You will be squeezed out to the country circuit, but guess what....they will be there too. Don't dig your own grave.

+ Reply to Thread