Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why is the SA Pacing Cup a group 1 Event?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It is surprising that there are not any raiders for the $450k WA Cup (& $300k Freo Cup) We have Hector going around in the $60k Shep Cup on Saturday but they cannot be up for everything. After contesting the Inter I guess you either stay for the others or target the $400k Vic Cup in a fortnight, followed by the $500 AG Hunter and then the $750k Miracle Mile. It is somewhat surprising that a few of those not in AU/NZ top 10 didn't decide to aim for the good WA money
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    it's not like there aren't metro races in between either. horses can still run in $18/22k races in between ID, Freo Cup and Pacing Cup. Plus horses get to go to the beach which they love

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    Stephen that was cruel and nasty about Jofess

But on a more serious note, the excuses being trotted out about bad draws at GP , flights too long, too much money allocated for prizemoney, unreliable flights etc etc are laughable. If you have got a good FFA horse you will take them anywhere to win some money to pay your bills and have a few quiet ones on the front porch.

What happens when there are no more big races or decent money in the weaker states- do you abandon them? There seems to be a lot of short sightedness going on under the guise of "grand circuits" "decentralisation", "merger"s etc by selfish big spenders or so called big spenders in NSW and Vic who continually whinge. You yourselves will be eventually squeezed out by those above you with more money in their pockets. Remember that there are about 4 good Australian bred FFA horses in the land, the rest of the top horses are kiwi's and they will keep on coming and keep winning the big races. You will be squeezed out to the country circuit, but guess what....they will be there too. Don't dig your own grave.
    I think there are bigger problems than if the SA Cup is on the grand circuit or not. What difference would it make for the strength of SA racing? Nil.

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    I have to agree with Mighty Atom on his points regarding horses capable of winning the big money at GP. His posts are based on fact and not emotion as per other posts from different members. IMO quite a few of the eastern states horses are over rated. Kev has mentioned a few good ones who will enter the Vic cup etc but they are the same three usually. I am of the opinion that no eastern states horse could win a big FFA race (any race more than 2130m) in WA now regardless of what draw they get. I exclude Lenny, Hector and Smolda, two of whom are proven champions and can win from any mark, anywhere. Soho Tribeca is capable of causing an upset but that is about it.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    You may want to watch the interdominion final again and pay particular attention to the horse that ran 4th, Pat.

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    I did pay attention to that horse before I Posted Grant and no doubt any horse that has won over a million is top of the range and it has been in very good form. It did win at Bunbury when it drew 3 and inside Lenny the Shark in a field of 9 and it drew 1 in the final in a field of 8. One of the things I looked at was a distance over 2100m where generally barrier 1 loses its advantage against the very best horses but still it is better than what the winner and placegetters got. So I still stand by the comments I made. Bling it on had good draws inside Smolda and Hector and did not win at GP. At Bunbury, I think that Lenny the Shark may have been injured as well and that was probably the weakest field of all the heats. But credit where credit is due and Bling it On is a topline pacer with plenty of upside.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    Bling got towed backwards behind a WA FFAer that was entitled to run on. I thought you said no eastern state horse would win a WA FFA now. I'd much prefer own Bling than Chicago Bull or Bettors Fire, who are the favored two in tonight's race. Outside of the winner of the interdom, he was clearly the run of the race. Went super in each heat also.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    Bling got towed backwards behind a WA FFAer that was entitled to run on. I thought you said no eastern state horse would win a WA FFA now. I'd much prefer own Bling than Chicago Bull or Bettors Fire, who are the favored two in tonight's race. Outside of the winner of the interdom, he was clearly the run of the race. Went super in each heat also.
    Get your point with Bling but Chicago Bull could be a real good one - he is only 4 so has potential to get better.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Get your point with Bling but Chicago Bull could be a real good one - he is only 4 so has potential to get better.
    $288,000 reasons to own Chicago Bull!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Not only the winner but also the other 4yo Soho Tribeca was outstanding.
    In their juvenile days they both raced against Waikiki - it would be interesting to see them meet again
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-14-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: grammar
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread